Why is Michael McIntyre so popular? Page 4

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ June 19 2012, 12:40 PM BST

I think lots of people are "wrong" about most things in life, Michael McIntyre is just an extention of their willful ignorance and group think mentality.

Indeed.

Think Military Wives getting to No 1.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2012, 9:52 AM BST

That his mum always watched Hamish McBeth with the sound turned off because she just liked to watch the dog.

That's me and Hannah Montana all over again.

People should leave McIntyre alone, he's become more than he ever dreamed he would. Guy deserves credit. I catch myself criticizing footballers and then realize I'm full of shit because one of them with a broken foot would outscore a team of a thousand Me's.

Same with comedy, something's beneath your standard, clap clap, doesn't make the person a prick.

Everyone thinks everyone else except them is wrong.

But, maybe I'm wrong.

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ June 19 2012, 2:43 PM BST

That's me and Hannah Montana all over again.

Except his mom wasn't rubbing one out at the time.

Sorry I'm like a dog chasing cars.

Everyone thinks everyone else except them is wrong.But, maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think you're wrong.

You're right.

You're wrong.

I don't watch Michael McIntyre.

When he comes on I turn the TV off.

I have no problem with people liking him.

If everyone liked Stewart Lee I'd probably question why I liked him.

But that isn't going to happen.

People like different things.

Get over it.

People should leave McIntyre alone

Yeah, why is everyone picking on some unknown comic? Why can't you dumb asses realise that what he does takes years of skill and craft? Why can't you understand that he was championed by the BBC after the Sachsgate incident as the acceptable face of BBC comedy?

The way you jealous lot carry on, you might stop him from buying his third home. Which he well deserves for being such a brilliant and insightful commentator.

Haters gotta hate I s'pose.

Quote: reds @ June 19 2012, 10:39 AM BST

I think it's good people can like different things. How boring would it be if we all liked exactly the same thing? It would make conversation boring if it was just I saw this, it's great and everyone just agreeing. Also would make getting tickets to anything a lot harder.

I think it's great that people like different things but what I don't think is great is people trying to force their own preferences on others by accusing people of being stupid for liking something else.

I don't like ballet but I don't think people that do are idiots, they just see something in ballet that I don't.

Fit birds in tutus?

Now I like Michael McIntyre and I like Stewart Lee...

:D :O :$

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 20 2012, 1:18 AM BST

I think it's great that people like different things but what I don't think is great is people trying to force their own preferences on others by accusing people of being stupid for liking something else.

I don't like ballet but I don't think people that do are idiots, they just see something in ballet that I don't.

How about not thinking people are stupid BECAUSE they like MM, but maybe suspecting that the average MM fan might be a bit thick? I'm not saying that is the case, just playing with semantics.

MM, great all round performer with lots of mass market appeal. Not above criticism. Very vanilla and easy to digest, like the defizzed diet lemonade of the comedy world.

But hey, at least he's not Jason Manford.

Personally, I enjoy stand ups who laugh at their own jokes, it tells me as an audience member when I'm supposed to laugh.

I also like his floppy hair, the way it goes up and down, it is good.

Quote: Badge @ June 19 2012, 11:02 PM BST

I don't watch Michael McIntyre.

When he comes on I turn the TV off.

I have no problem with people liking him.

If everyone liked Stewart Lee I'd probably question why I liked him.

I had some friends at school who were like that. They liked something until it got popular then changed their minds. It always sounded like extra effort to me. Just like what you like.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ June 15 2012, 12:49 PM BST

Commissioners and the comedy industry in general seem to forget that the 16-30 year old demographic actually make up an ever dwindling percentage of the TV viewing audience, therefore a relatively "safe", older, more family friendly/mainstream act will clean up in terms of popularity (see also "Miranda", "Not Going Out", Jason Manford, Micky Flanagan, Peter Kay, etc).

My mum knows nothing about comedy but she knows of, and likes, Michael McIntyre, because he appeals to a large part of the population that has been ignored, comedically, because every one wants to be "trendy", "boundary pushing" and generally appealing to teenagers and the twenty-somethings.

Michael McIntyre is very funny, IMHO, and he's found a very broad niche which no-one was previously exploiting, he straddles what used to be "alternative comedy" (appealing to the youth and the rebellious) and "mainstream" (telling jokes that grannies and kids can laugh at).

Yep. Comedy snobs and trendies really bore me. It's de rigeur to slag McIntyre off because his stuff's broad. It's the norm to berate Peter Kay for just talking about the past. But these guys are masters of their craft, when they're on top form they can hold an audience in hysterics and milk every last drop of laughter from them. But they're not "cool" like Stewart Lee for instance, hence they must be shit. And what's wrong with appealing to the masses? Surely a performer's raison d'etre is to make as many people as possible love them and laugh at them.

I do go along with you most of the way Lee.

But for all his ubiquity Peter Kaye is an awsome performer and perhaps one of the best character actors around.

Unlike McIntyre I'd love to seem him play some straight roles.

There was his seminal fat alien in Doctor Who...