Newsjack - Series 6 Page 68

I did a cruddas newsjack shop - but I expect 90% of people who covered the story did it in newsjack shop

A few pieces stick in my mind;
Diary of David Bowie - very funny. Lewis kept cracking up and retake needed.
A sketch about bus deregulation with competition between two buses.
James Cameron sketch including Lewis impersonating the terminator.
Sketch about two students - one of them eastern European escaping from oppression.

Can you remember any lines from the Newsjack shop?

I really can't remember any specific lines from the Newsjack shop sketch. It was a bit obvious really - I had expected Cruddas to be appearing at the end of several sketches offering dinner with Cameron but they didn't seem to make that much of what was the major news story.
I do recall another sketch about a woman in a post office complaining about the price of the new first class postage.

maybe they were expecting more developments in cruddas story so they left it rather than appear out of date when it airs.

Quote: StephenM @ March 27 2012, 5:19 PM BST

And that's my last auto-reply for the series.

Just seen from twitter that quite a few people have gone for a Cameron / Come Dine with me one-liner today but in my defence:

a) I sent a sketch on it yesterday so I was first and
b) I'm willing to take a bet that something along those lines will be on 10 o'clock live or The Now Show.

Told you. (See (b) above)

If you saw 10 o'clock live's 'Cam Dine With Me' sketch that was pretty similar to the one I wrote for NJ. Worryingly even had a line about the third runway at Heathrow!

But I guess about a thousand people had a similar idea so they wouldn't have gone with it. Which is a unique feature of NJ - good idea but also has to be different from everyone else's idea.

Quote: StephenM @ March 29 2012, 12:21 AM BST

Told you. (See (b) above)

If you saw 10 o'clock live's 'Cam Dine With Me' sketch that was pretty similar to the one I wrote for NJ. Worryingly even had a line about the third runway at Heathrow!

I hope yours was better than theirs. How much must their sketch have cost, getting all those 'names' to take part? However, it was brilliant in one respect; it brilliantly demonstrated how throwing money at a production doesn't make it funny.

Quote: LippyAlison @ March 28 2012, 11:01 PM BST

I expected more to be made of cruddas event which was covered in a Newsjack shop but not much more.

Bad news for me, as I put too many eggs in the Cruddas basket, but, thinking about it, I'm not that surprised. The Cruddas story was, in itself, intrinsically very funny and I think they are more impressed with writers who can spin comedy gold out of unpromising raw material (at least, I seem to remember them saying so in the webchat last series, apropos that excellent "The Huttons" Board Game sketch, but I'm apparently far better at mouthing off about what NJ are looking for than I am at producing it, so I may be talking out of my bottom here).

Looking forward to hearing tonights show because it's been a brilliant week for news. However, as with others, I think it will be mainly the work of the comms tonight because too many good stories broke after the deadlines.

What is the Hutton's Board Game Sketch?

Only ask because I sent in a board games advert sketch - new from Cameron's Games "That's Unacceptable"

Also, has David Bowie been in the news? I missed that.

I did oneliners involving David Bowie and one about the stamps, looks like they covered those with sketches though.

They put a plaque up for Ziggy Stardust, Jack.

Quote: Big Jack @ March 29 2012, 11:31 AM BST

What is the Hutton's Board Game Sketch?

Only ask because I sent in a board games advert sketch - new from Cameron's Games "That's Unacceptable"

It was on last series - about an exciting family board game where you have to guess which of the different Lord Huttons in the House of Lords the other player is thinking of. I seem to remember they praised it as an example of taking a very dry subject and doing something interesting with it.

Also, has David Bowie been in the news? I missed that.

A plaque was unveiled this week in the street which featured on the cover of Ziggy Stardust.

Huttons -

Balls. I really must (1) read the webcast (2) listen to the show.

Oh well. It was satire anyway, so therefore not funny. I'll stick it on Critique later.

Quote: Nogget @ March 29 2012, 8:21 AM BST

I hope yours was better than theirs. How much must their sketch have cost, getting all those 'names' to take part? However, it was brilliant in one respect; it brilliantly demonstrated how throwing money at a production doesn't make it funny.

I will admit their one wasn't particularly funny. Partly because there was no reveal and the joke was pretty much spoilt in the title sequence.

I'll stick mine up in critique later and you can decide whether it's better or worse.