Newsjack - Series 6 Page 63

That wouldn't be broken, it would be working!

Please tell me you're not like my wife, in that she presses CAPS LOCK, then the first letter of a sentence, then CAPS LOCK again, despite the 17,000+ times I have explained the SHIFT key to her...

Way to kill a joke, btw.

Dan

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ March 23 2012, 12:33 PM GMT

INTERVIEW SKETCHES SUX MASSIVE BALLS

That'll be in reference to my "Justin Edwards (No, not that one) Interviews Tulisa" sketch...

Count yourself lucky. Some of us have to type up our own sketches.

Bazinga!

:)

Dan

Personally, I'd to see the BBC commission an open submission non-topical sketch programme, for the periods in which Newsjack is off the air.

When looking for news to cover in submissions I read papers and bbc news website - what do some of you do to hunt down the news?

Quote: groovydude89 @ March 23 2012, 1:33 PM GMT

Personally, I'd to see the BBC commission an open submission non-topical sketch programme, for the periods in which Newsjack is off the air.

They did. Recorded for Training Purposes

Quote: blahblah @ March 23 2012, 7:52 PM GMT

When looking for news to cover in submissions I read papers and bbc news website - what do some of you do to hunt down the news?

I tend to do much the same but add yahoo for quirky stuff. Have to be careful as some of the stories can be very odd. I do occasionally get ideas from R5. But given my complete lack of success perhaps I should look elsewhere.

What do people think the advantages are of an open door non-topical over a topical, or vice versa?

One reason I guess for why the topical endures as a testing ground for new writers is that the brief is clear, and an ability to deliver it consistently and innovate within it marks you out clearly as a writer of promise.

Cripes! I've just found out I was in last week's ep - after only six series of relentless struggle.

Just goes to show that even without discernable talent or skill, you'll eventually get on by accident (in my case with a week-old joke about same sex marriage).

I'm off to the Monkey and Typewriter to make a votive offering to the week 4 lull. Congrats to all you week 4 and week 5 lullards.

Week 6 crush next week. If you find a thumb in your eye socket, it's probably mine.

Quote: blahblah @ March 23 2012, 7:52 PM GMT

I find twitter really useful - on Sat, Sun, and Monday there is a continuous flow of news stories from the banal to the ridiculous.

Quote: Bomsh @ March 23 2012, 10:40 PM GMT

Cripes! I've just found out I was in last week's ep - after only six series of relentless struggle.

Just goes to show that even without discernable talent or skill, you'll eventually get on by accident (in my case with a week-old joke about same sex marriage).

Went down very well. Congrats.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ March 23 2012, 9:01 PM GMT

What do people think the advantages are of an open door non-topical over a topical, or vice versa?

One reason I guess for why the topical endures as a testing ground for new writers is that the brief is clear, and an ability to deliver it consistently and innovate within it marks you out clearly as a writer of promise.

I suppose there's an argument to say that topical makes you write new stuff and there's no 'pull it out of the drawer' effect that might make you look better than you are (ie your second point).

Other side of the argument is that for a topical show you have to write on Sat/Sun and there's barely any chance to step back and check what you've written isn't complete and utter shash.

Dan

In an ideal world there would be room for both types.

I don't think I'll be sending anything for the last show. Nothing is coming to me, and I've had a really shit week.

Enjoy your writing though, peoples.

If the BBC were to commission a new open-door non-topical radio programme, I think it would be every bit as useful for discovering new writing talent as Newsjack is.

There are some crucial differences between writing topical and non-topical material. For instance, with non-topical material, the writer has to construct the characters and scenarios from scratch, whilst with topical material both are 'prefabricated' - so to speak.

Also, the vast majority of sketch programmes on both television and radio are not Newsjack-esque topical shows, but rather non-topical ones.