Things that piss you off Page 811

Quote: DaButt @ January 13 2012, 6:01 PM GMT

They don't have vehicles?

In London, the postmen often travel by bus.
But also remember the houses are close together and parking is difficult, so a vehicle would be a hindrance; they always walk the actual posting operation, often with a hand trolley holding the mail.

Perhaps they are often dropped off by Post Office Van to the start of the walk & make their way back by bus.

Yes yes but can I ask why they insist on dropping red elastic bands all down my garden path

I saw a postman (not mine) walking along the road carrying post, and smoking a fag. :/ That can't be allowed, can it?

Quote: billwill @ January 13 2012, 7:47 PM GMT

But also remember the houses are close together and parking is difficult, so a vehicle would be a hindrance; they always walk the actual posting operation, often with a hand trolley holding the mail.

Similar here but it's been years since I saw one walking. The post office has mostly pushed everyone into streetside boxes and most new neighborhoods have all the boxes in one location.

Where I lived in suburban America, the mailman would pull up in an electric Jeep and weirdly, the steering wheel was on the right hand side like in proper countries.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 8:58 PM GMT

Where I lived in suburban America, the mailman would pull up in an electric Jeep and weirdly, the steering wheel was on the right hand side like in proper countries.

It's easier than creating hundreds of thousands of genetic mutants with freakishly long arms.

Quote: DaButt @ January 13 2012, 9:02 PM GMT

It's easier than creating hundreds of thousands of genetic mutants with freakishly long arms.

Speaking of Americans, the mailman and genetic mutants. I love how an entire expression - Going Postal - has been created because so many disgruntled Yanks shoot up the post office whenever they get sacked.

Don't them there yanky postmen simply throw the mail at the houses as they cycle past, like the paperboys

Whats that all about ?

Not civilised behaviour at all

Outrageous

Glad I don't live there

What next? Mr milkman chucking yoghurts at my kitchen window

No way Hose

Quote: lofthouse @ January 13 2012, 9:16 PM GMT

Don't them there yanky postmen simply throw the mail at the houses as they cycle past, like the paperboys

No, they drive up to the box, stuff it full of junk mail and then drive off, all the while listening to an iPod.

What next? Mr milkman chucking yoghurts at my kitchen window

I think our last milkman went the way of the dodo about 40 years ago.

See if you were still ruled by her Majesty she wouldnt allow such anarchy to go on

Still, you knew better

You've made your bed....

Quote: lofthouse @ January 13 2012, 9:32 PM GMT

You've made your bed....

And it's a really nice bed with lots of room. I like it a lot.

Quote: DaButt @ January 13 2012, 8:25 PM GMT

Similar here but it's been years since I saw one walking. The post office has mostly pushed everyone into streetside boxes and most new neighborhoods have all the boxes in one location.

We still have (most of) our postboxes as slots in the front door.

Quote: billwill @ January 13 2012, 11:58 PM GMT

We still have (most of) our postboxes as slots in the front door.

That was the norm when I was a child. It seems like most of the to-the-door service went away about 15-20 years ago.

Lizards used to come through the slot so I was glad to seal it up.

I've always fancied one of those American postboxes. They look fun.

Although I suppose they're quite easy for people to steal post from. Or put rubbish in...

The 'sport' was for teenage boys to ride around in cars with baseball bats and to try and knock the mailboxes over. There used to be some horrific footage on You Tube where it went wrong and the kid fell out the car and went under the wheels.