Bottom Page 6

I think the guys have said that they won't do it anymore. That was the last thing that Adrian Edmonson said on the matter - though people have gone back on these things before. Adrian has said he wants to do music not comedy.
The guys are working together on something for "Comic Relief" this year.
There was talk from one of them that, if they lived to be in their sixties, they would like to do something set in an old folks home.
I think that a different series from the is more likely than another "Bottom".

Quote: comical masterpiece @ February 24 2011, 2:36 PM GMT

i can watch bottom anytime, although there were only 18 episodes, I do re-visit the series regular, ive also just ordered the first 2 live shows on DVD. This is one show I would love to see return, a fourth series of this would be a sure hit, they wouldn't need to change a thing, still be in the same flat, same friends etc, now there a bit older they could maybe make it a little more mature, but not to much. BRING BACK BOTTOM.

:) I agree bring it back. Love Rik & Ade.

http://yfrog.com/h4jnoxjgj

Quote: ToddB @ February 24 2011, 2:43 PM GMT

Adrian has said he wants to do music not comedy

Yeah, I remember seeing him on The Jools Holland Show a while back. Can't remember what he did, though.

I saw that too, it was one of Jool's Hootenannies. Adrian and Jools go way back. Everybody knows Jools was in The Young Ones then Adrian directed 2 Squeeze videos

Quote: peter gazzard @ February 24 2011, 9:58 PM GMT

I saw that too, it was one of Jool's Hootenannies. Adrian and Jools go way back. Everybody knows Jools was in The Young Ones then Adrian directed 2 Squeeze videos

Yeah, when he had the sick mo' in the bank! Didn't know Ade directed two Squeeze videos though!! Which ones?

In "The Young Ones" and "Filthy Rich and Catflap" the guys developed their new style of humoour - anarchic, violent and shocking, and often poured scorn on older, middle-brow sitcoms with their quaint, slightly eccentric British types, puns and punchlines. I can remember "The Good Life" being pilloried in "The Young Ones" and "Are You Being Served?" mocked in "Filthy, Rich and Catflap".

Fans of these older comedies may well have thought "okay, you guys can swear, hit each other, break stuff and rubbish popular shows, but can you create your own great, enduring sitcom?"

With "Bottom", Rik and Ade gave a resounding answer - "Yes!"

Quote: Void @ February 25 2011, 5:16 PM GMT

Yeah, when he had the sick mo' in the bank! Didn't know Ade directed two Squeeze videos though!! Which ones?

Hourglass and Trust Me To Open My Mouth

Bottom is my favourite sitcom of all time - bar none.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's the best sitcom ever made - it's just my favourite.

Simply because no other show has made me pee my kecks with laughter as much as this one always has, no matter how much I watch it.

But there is one thing I've noticed whilst watching every episode for like the 80th time:

Has anybody else noticed the huge influence that both Hancock and Rising Damp have on Bottom? It's almost criminal!

Rik seems to spend most of the time almost doing an impression of Hancock, and there are so many things in the scripts that seem to have almost been lifted from Rising Damp.

I.e.

Richie thinking Eddie has got him a prostitute - Rigsby thinking Philip has got him an African wife.

Richie sending himself birthday cards he has wrote himself - Rigsby sending himself a Christmas card.

Richie starving himself in case he is poisoned - Rigsby starving himself to win a bet with Philip.

Richie and Eddie working out and keeping fit - Rigsby did the same in the boxing match episode.

A gas man calls round in the episode Gas - so does one in Rising Damp.

Richie and Eddie using sex spray to attract women - Rigsby using Philip's 'special wood' to attract Miss Jones.

Riche and Eddie have a burglary - so does Rigsby.

Richie and Eddie go to a dating agency - so does Rigsby.

I could go on and on!

And of course Richie does an impression of Rigsby in one episode! (Albeit a very bad one!)

Has this occured to anyone else?

Mr Bean also wrote cards to himself.

Not to say that they've necessarily NOT copying, but some of those connections are a bit ropey: being visited by the gas man is hardly a novel concept, for example. Nor is exercise!

They were just ones off the top of my head!

Seriously, you can go through almost every episode of Bottom and there will be at least one thing that makes you go OH! That happened in Rising Damp too!

Just thought of another whilst typing this:

Richie and Eddie had to look after a baby in one episode, so did rigsby and Alan!

There's definitely more!

Spooner had a broken leg in an episode of Rising Damp. Richie ended up with 2 in the Bottom episode Accident.

Plus Richie was a male lead, as was Rigsby.

And you have an anus for a brain. Geek

Well I think this may be the impetus I was needing to buy that Bottom box set, there are still loads of episodes I haven't seen and as a big Rising Damp fan with the boxset I would be able to test out your theory. But I'm already halfway there with you, as I tend to notice some shows do have an affinity with a favoured model.

What you describe does sound as though they COULD have raided the whole RD catalogue of storylines, RD was very very good with storylines, undoubtedly one of the best plotted sitcoms ever. And there is no law to stop anyone doing this, if this IS what they have done. Even if they did, they chose a great model to...erm...emulate.

"What you describe does sound as though they COULD have raided the whole RD catalogue of storylines"

Not saying that - it's just when they were thinking up ideas for Bottom it seems to me they just used little ideas here and there from Rising Damp.

P.S. Anyone notice they used the guy who played Ozzy in Rising Damp to play a doctor in the episode where Richie gets the gypsy's curse!?