Going to see stand-up Page 24

i might be going to see ken dodd in leamington spa in April

Quote: lummycorks @ February 3 2011, 6:25 PM GMT

i might be going to see ken dodd in leamington spa in April

Don't schedule in anything else until May at the earliest.

Best Stand Up I've ever seen has to be Daniel Kitson, who I've had the good fortune to see on many occasions performing Stand Up, Theatrical Monologues as well as Story Telling accompanied by musician Gavin Osborn

THE Stand out gig being at Greenwich Comedy Festival 2010 where at late notice Dan replaced Rufus Hound as compere for a bill of Phil Nichol, Jenny Eclair & Stewart Lee in a tent holding an audience of I guess close to 1,000.

I'd only got hold of ticket at last minute, having seen Dan was to compere, and it was clear from the outset that most of the audience had no idea who this bearded, slightly shabby bespectacled with an intermittent stutter was.

From banter with the front row before the opening act, further post-interval banter with the rear of the tent, aided by a hand held light which could easily have doubled as an anti-aircraft spotting beam, and finally closing the show with a virtuoso vitriolic put-down to an audience member who had the temerity to tell Dan he was far funnier than "that last bloke" (Stewart Lee) Kitson OWNED the gig !

An amazing night and an absolutely incredible comic.

I was there, in that horrid tent thing in Greenwich - he was unbelievable - absolutely obscenely brilliant - the best performance one could conceive of.

Saw Kitson's The Interminable Suicide of Gregory Church in Aldershot last night. It was, as usual, excellent. Not stand-up as such but a very funny 90-minute narrative.

Which leads me on to the next point. He started just after eight and was finished around 9:45(ish). Why don't more people do this? I don't want to be out after 10pm any more. I'm old! I want to be able to go out and return at a sensible time.

Take note Henning Wehn and his *ridiculous* 10pm show at the Soho Theatre.

Dan

Oooh ooh I think I'm going to see that (for free) !

Quote: swerytd @ February 17 2011, 12:23 PM GMT

Take note Henning Wehn and his *ridiculous* 10pm show at the Soho Theatre.

I know, but that's them in London with their London ways... I've heard tell some of them London types stay up past midnight. Disgusting. Unimpressed

Just wanted to share this with y'all. A young comedian from Scotland called Richard Gadd- he's through to the semi finals of the Chortle Student Comedy Award 2011. I saw him a couple of months ago and was crying with laughter throughout. Genuinely think he's brilliant- a very clever act, and I'm sure he will go very far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yHQw9-Hf7I&feature=player_embedded

I'm off to see Milton Jones tonight :)

It's going to be emotional.

Milton is simply brilliant (and brilliantly simple!), hope you enjoy the show Mr McDonnell.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 9 2011, 12:04 PM GMT

Milton is simply brilliant (and brilliantly simple!), hope you enjoy the show Mr McDonnell.

Absolutely nailed on, cheers Tony.

Milton Jones is great. His eyes are like CRAZY close together.

Off to see Stewart Lee tonight. Very very excited.

Oooooooooh. Jealous.

Rightly so, and the venue is 10 minutes walk away, so makes nice change form train journey to London to see anything good. I shall find some mirth on your behalf, Nat.