Going to see stand-up Page 23

I really want to see him, but I always seem to miss it when he's up here.

Saw John Bishop on Saturday. Very, very funny and he's a really likeable bloke. This is his Sunshine show based on how his life's changed since becoming a comedian.

Also saw Teak Show's Twisted Sketches last night at Leicester Square Theatre. Very dark and extremely funny. It's mostly sketches but kind of held together with a bit of audience interaction too.

Going to see Stewart Lee tomorrow night at LST too.

Dan

(*coughs* You did help write the Teak show, didn't you, Dan?)

Bloody hell -- someone reads what I post...

Dan

Pete K Mallycomedy diary 2010: Compering at November 9th Gig@the Gorrange, 8th December Screamlounge, Croydon 18th Dec, Tooting (Gorrange), 29th Screamlounge, Croydon where he'll be shamlessly flogging his new book 'Waiting for the Punchline' (amazon.com) and hanging around talented people hoping some wil rub off on him

Yes - he's a mate but check him out.

Went to see Simon Amstell last night, never actually seen any of his stand up, he doesn't seem to have appeared on TV doing it.

Anyway, he was great, and no, he wasn't making jokes about popstars and celebrities.

Saw Alun Cochrane in Aldershot last night. He was very good and not at all like the grumpy fella on the telly!

It's all very observational, funny story stuff rather than one-liners, though then he tries a load of one-liners as part of an overarching storyline which you get to vote for. Had a good laugh, so would recommend him if he's around your area.

Saw the very tall Greg Davies (6' 8''! Bigger than Peter Crouch) in Epsom a couple of weeks ago. His stuff is laugh-out-loud funny and utterly bonkers. Again, no jokes as such and it's clear his mind works quite surreally in spotting things but normally in realising how surreal it is. It's kind of 'weird stuff that has happened to me in my whole life' but works very well and he's very good with the audience and taking things on board.

Stew Lee in Leicester Square Theatre also, at the beginning of the month. He effectively did three 25-minute sets, obviously for the second series of Comedy Vehicle. It was, as usual, excellent, and the second series will continue with the high standard set by the first. That said, if you hated him already, you're probably not going to like him any more (though he does do quite a lot about how tedious he is and how he knows it annoys people, if you want some 'self-awareness' comedy)

Dan

Went to see 'Armstrong & Miller' live on Saturday. Very good. They put together a great show that worked well on stage and wasn't just a repetition of the telly sketches. Very impressed and a good laugh was had all around. Katherine Jakeways was their supported cast. She was better than excellent.

I'm glad it was good, cos I missed The Armstrong & Miller Show to watch it! :)

Incidentally, in the Italian restaurant 'that used to be Pizza Hut' in Wimbledon, Andy Hamilton came in 15 minutes after us. He got his food before us, proving that there are benefits to being a proper comedy-writer after all.

Dan

Going to see Isy Suttie and Norman Lovett this Friday.

Saw Greg Davies: FiringCheeseballs at the Dog last night, very good very personable fella and had me laughing out load many times just on facial expressions alone.

Went to see Robin Ince - Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People, in Brighton last night.

It was a mixture of very quick turns from comics and scientists, including Richard Herring talking about his application to be the next Pope which was v. funny. Unfortunately, there was also a Canadian rapping about evolution which had me cringing with embarrassment - just not right for an English audience.

A musical act called Frisky and Mannish, though, were excellent. Dara O'Briain headlined and brought the house down. A good night.

Went to see Henning Wehn at Paul Kerensa's 'You Must Be Stoking' comedy night in Guildford. He was excellent. His German-in-Britain stuff is very good and gives quite a different angle to things. I'd go see a full show when it skirts nearby.

Noel James was on too and he was great -- kind of Stewart Francis type jokes but not quite as relentless (thankfully!). Very likeable fella and I laughed lots.

Also on were Roddy Fraser (musical Scottish bloke) who's probably had much better nights; just didn't seem to work with the crowd last night. He had a very funny song about a Visa that really needs to be longer, I reckon. Lots of scope for a decent full-length track in that one.

Shannon Hommel was on too; local Surrey lady. Very, very good jokes though she seemed a bit nervous so I suspect she's relatively new. With a little more confidence the set would be even better than it already was.

Dan

The following month at Kerensa's Guildford comedy club had Danielle Ward, who is very likeable though she seemed to be finding it difficult being first on to win over the crowd. By the end she had them all though. Funny, but maybe a little coarse in places for the Guildfordians.

Kishore Nayar -- very accomplished stand-up. Certainly knows how to deliver his material, especially for a relative newbie.

Andre Vincent obviously knows what he's doing and was a very good headliner. He certainly won everybody over by putting down the (persistent) heckler. Lots of laughing out loud here.

Oh, and some bloke called Tony Cowards was on. I'm glad he was extremely funny, as the subsequent conversation would have been *really* awkward. Recommended lots.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 3 2011, 10:23 AM GMT

Kishore Nayar -- very accomplished stand-up. Certainly knows how to deliver his material, especially for a relative newbie.

Kishore was an act I'd only bumped into briefly once before on the circuit and I have to say I was very impressed last night, so much so that I wasn't really that keen on following him!

I definitely think he'll be one to watch, some really nice material and a lovely, gentle delivery.

Sorry I couldn't stop around to see Andre, he's always good fun, good to meet you Dan and glad I didn't disappoint and make the conversation awkward afterwards.

:D

Quote: Tony Cowards @ February 3 2011, 11:12 AM GMT

Kishore was an act I'd only bumped into briefly once before on the circuit and I have to say I was very impressed last night, so much so that I wasn't really that keen on following him!

I definitely think he'll be one to watch, some really nice material and a lovely, gentle delivery.
:D

We have Kishore on at an upcoming Clown Chowder. He does a good job.