Baby Cow comp Page 7

I played it straight and had a 50s dad giving his teenage caveman son 'The Talk'. I thought I'd mine it for absurdity, given the rather restrictive brief.

Typically I read this with 30 mins to go and promptly just sent one of my best sketches without reading the brief first.

All I can say is D'oh.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

He! he! 1950's Dad could NEVER have seen 'The Flintstones' because it didn't start 'til the 1960's!!!

Ho! ho! ho! ho! ho! he! he!

So ... he! he! he! ner ner ner ner ner!!! :)

Ah, but what I was getting at in my original post is that Fred Flintstone is a typical 1950's man, living in stone-age times... d'you see, Frankie? Rolling eyes

Quote: Stylo @ November 12, 2007, 2:13 PM

Ah, but what I was getting at in my original post is that Fred Flintstone is a typical 1950's man, living in stone-age times... d'you see, Frankie? Rolling eyes

Far too clever for me!

Anyway, back to my point, Fred Flintstone was more your early 1960's dad... ;)

Good luck with it Stylo mate anyroadup!!!

Frankie xxx

PS I did not manage to get an entry in. Mine would have been very slapstick based around farts being ignited by 1950's dad and his petrol lighter, but I had little or no confidence in producing anything that had a chance of winning based on this premise!

Mine was about a fifties American government style man trying to discover dirty commie reds amongst some Neanderthals. Remember, even the caveman next door could be a communist . . .

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 12, 2007, 3:14 PM

Far too clever for me!

Frankie xxx

PS I did not manage to get an entry in. Mine would have been very slapstick based around farts being ignited by 1950's dad and his petrol lighter, but I had little or no confidence in producing anything that had a chance of winning based on this premise!

And that's how they discovered fire? That would have been cool.

Yes, but then a young Neanderthal grabbed the lighter and approached the rear end of a Mammoth...

...so it all ended in tears! :$

I might have got it done, but we had a video shoot this weekend and I was working too and then some commitments Sunday and all of sudden the time had gone...

Mine had Tommy Steele and The Quest for Fire.

I like that idea Johnny!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 12, 2007, 6:59 PM

I like that idea Johnny!

You might not like my execution! (There's an old 50s joke there.)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ November 12, 2007, 3:14 PM

Far too clever for me!

Frankie xxx

*sigh*
Not wanting to sound like an anorak, (but tightening the nylon cords on my cagoule nonetheless) The Flintstones first aired in 1960, therefore must have been based on a 1950's family. Not that I really care, for even as a child I thought it was a bunch of shite! I was more of a Hong Kong Phooey kid.

I took the brief fairly literally and cast my fifties dad as the head of a neanderthal cave-hold. Sort of Happy Days meets Bewitched meets Dick van Dyke etc

I like the idea of 1950's Dad giving his son 'the talk'.

My entry, in a nutshell, was:

1950's Dad suggests that if there's one thing he can do for Neanderthal society, it is introduce them to fine ale. Due their being no public houses, he proposes to start a brewery of their own. He suggests they get down to Kent and go hopping. The cavemen start hopping away on their legs and 1950’s Dad calls them back to explain the difference between hop-ping and hopping – the cavemen still don’t get it. 1950’s Dad deduces that Kent will be quite a trek from where they are and asks whether the cavemen have mastered the internal combustion engine yet – they haven’t. He then asks if they’ve mastered the wheel – they have and they point to a caveman in the distance with a wheelbarrow. The wheel on it, however is square, and the caveman is having a lot of trouble pushing it. 1950’s Dad gives up with his ‘fine ale’ campaign and suggests they just stick to drinking pints of sheep’s blood for now. This is much to the delight of the cavemen who run off cheering. The sound of a baa-ing sheep is heard offscreen. THE END!

I didn't really stick to the brief at all.

A time traveller fro the 50s has travelled back to the stone age and is writing up his diary. We flashback to the hilarious antics of the cavemen and the results of the f**king scientist's blind teaching. Oh I wish I'd never started this effing post.

Quote: JohnnyD @ November 12, 2007, 7:05 PM

You might not like my execution! (There's an old 50s joke there.)

I'd be far more concerned about mine own! ;)

I do love Tommy Steele though!!!

Quote: Stylo @ November 12, 2007, 9:50 PM

*sigh*
Not wanting to sound like an anorak, (but tightening the nylon cords on my cagoule nonetheless) The Flintstones first aired in 1960, therefore must have been based on a 1950's family. Not that I really care, for even as a child I thought it was a bunch of shite! I was more of a Hong Kong Phooey kid.

That may be so, but the guy who wrote The Flintstones had travelled back in time from the future to write it. He was born in 1959 and has actually stated publicly on these very forums that he based the show on his own 1960's family. I am sure Aaron or Mark can back me up on this! ;)

I was more into "Deputy Dawg", Musky!

Just love those Persimmons and hee-lio-calopters..