Still Game Page 8

I love Still Game, one of the great modern sitcoms with a perfect mix, superb main characters, rogueish yet lovable, fantastic secondary characters with great flaws esp skin flint Tam and Winston with his false leg, no weak episodes and a load of fantastic watch time and again ones, especially when the boys start taking the 'youth pills', the visit to the distillery and the park bench ones, reminds me very much of Dad's Army, a group of stout civilians against the onslaught of the fiendish enemy. It is very much a sleeper comedy, started to watch it when the first few series were shown at 11ish on Friday night and discovered quite a few others where watching it too and then it went mainstream and everybody else started to enjoy the fun.

I wrote to Effingee Productions and they assured me there was no plans for a 7th Series of Still Game but there was new material out soon so doesn't look to good.

My hubby and I have just started watching the series and we are totally hooked-a great show with great performers to boot! Knocks the socks off of most so called TV sitcoms. We have bought the whole lot now (at present watching series 2) and my sides are still aching!! Keep it going guys!
Hillyx Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Hmm? .. so sounds like Paul, Ford & Greg haven't sorted out their differences yet?

I heard a rumour that relations had improved, but even if that was the case, the appetite to get Still Game back on the box ... failed.

Dear Green Place & Happy Hollidays, much as they tried, always seemed "desperate" ... so hope the main players come up with something special in the future.

Still Game is far and away my favourite British sitcom ever. I've all the DVDs and they are watched frequently .. my wee boy loves to impersonate Victor and Jack!

I read online last month that Ford Kiernan has not seen Greg Hemphill for a year now, although they have spoken on the phone regarding their business. There was a space-based series written, two movies and festive editions of Still Game in the pipeline before they went their separate ways.

I hope with all my heart that someday soon they will get back together and use all this material, it's a shame it's all there, but unused. They are a terrific writing team and really had their fingers on the pulse on all the generations. It seems to be the pattern these days that bands, teams, writers etc split up for a while to explore new avenues but always gravitate back towards each other when they realise they were more successful in their previous incarnation. Fingers crossed ... we were left hanging when Isa and Navid appeared to share a kiss!"

Still Game is an excellent example of what is right about British comedy. It was even quite politically hard hitting at times especially about pensioners and their lot. A real treat and I'm planning on popping on to Play.com after Christmas to see if I can pick up the whole series for a bit of a bargain. Top stuff which knocks all current British comedy into a cocked hat.

Saw this on TV. Quickly became a fan, nicely paced and charming. Had no idea there were so many series. glad there are though.

Yeah, I think part of its charm was that it wasn't forced or based around a few jokes .. it kind of just reflected what most of us in Scotland (and probably the UK) recognised in ourselves. I particularly loved the Hogmanay special where they went back to the mid 1970s, we got to see all our favourite characters when they were 'young'.

For me, the hideous lurid wallpaper and spindly Christmas tree were a part of my own upbringing. When Victor shows Jack his whisky decanter in the shape of an eagle whose head detaches to reveal a spout it took me back to when my own Dad had a matching bird that did the same! Pure tacky, yet marvellous. We thought we were the bees knees, so we did. I found myself observing all the wee things, like the drinks bottles and clothes .. it really was attention to period detail. That really makes a difference to me, as a viewer.

I think my favourite character has to be Isa Drennan. Jane McCarry is superb as the 'nosiest poke-nosed gabshite in all of Craiglang'. Laughing out loud

I've never seen it, but I will look out for it.
I'm going to Glasgow for Christmas so maybe they'll show an old repeat or something.

I really hope there is a Series 7 >_<

Has to rate as one of the worst advertised and scheduled sitcoms ever imo. I didn't even know the last series was on until it was nearly over. Think I only ever saw one full series and two episosdes of the last one, but I still thought it was possibly the best sitcom on TV at the time and definitely the funniest. A proper sitcom. Will probably have to buy the DVDs to watch all that I missed. But I'd still like to know what the BBC were playing at!

Is a really well-constructed sitcom, only occasionally ruined by clunking "hoots mon its the irn broo" humour. Butthat's a very minor gripe. Victor and Jack are brilliantly made.

Still Game is one of my most favourite sitcoms. Having said that, I've noticed that it isn't very big on continuity. Such as in series two, Jack evidently can't drive, but in the fifth series, he can. However, at the end of the day, it's the popularity of the show and the laughter it creates that counts.

I do wish the loveable old codgers would return.

Best show to ever come out of this country, the cast are first class acters and beyond first class indeviduals, some of the nicest people I have ever met, especialy Mark Cox (Auld Tam). The best lecturer I had at college.

After good ratings for repeat showings of Still Game, Greg Hemphill sounds like he may have softened a bit on the possibility of the return of the show:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3246818/TV-Greg-is-Still-Game-for-show.html#mySunComments#ixzz17eoDc5Xg

I've no idea about the credibility of the Scottish Sun, but any hope is better than none.