Newsjack - Series 3 Page 30

Again the problem seems to be that Newsjack has never clearly defined itself. And Telusha leaving hasn't helped. The producers of this series seem to lack a cohesive vision of what the show should be. IMO.

Just rounded off two sketches for this week. Miles talking to more bloody experts! Newsjack has infected me and killed my creativity!

I compromised, one expert, one not. (Ok, I could have sent two experts and another sketch I suppose).

Quote: chipolata @ July 11 2010, 3:09 PM BST

Again the problem seems to be that Newsjack has never clearly defined itself.

Though isn't the standard comeback that Newsjack is defined by what the public sends in to it?

Perhaps all they get is 'interview' sketches and they are forced to play the hand they are dealt. Or perhaps (and I write this admitting that I know absolutely nothing about how radio programmes are made) they have some kind of time/budgetary constraints that force them to go for the easy option, some interviews, a few one liners in a 'variety' of accents and a couple of monologues.

I've read a very cynical 'definition' of Newsjack on another forum which basically said that the show exists to allow the BBC to say that they have an 'open door' policy when looking for comedy writers when the reality is blah blah blah London Oxbridge chums blah blah blah.

To be honest, I don't think there's any point trying to second-guess them. It is (unless some of you know otherwise and aren't telling me) the only show in town willing to look at sketches by anybody and broadcast them to a national audience.

Shouldn't we be weeping with gratitude instead of questioning what is going on?

(I'm turning all my sketches this week into 'expert interviews' just to be on the safe side.....)

You weep with gratitude. I'll just watch if that's okay. :)

Just submitted some sketches for this week. They were a little rushed so they were far from my best material.

Never done it before, I don't expect much, but you never know.

JUst vox pops / corrs for me this week!

Morning Jackers. Even tho it was one of the oddest things I've EVER seen & is v. topical, please no Gazza stuff for NJ. Too weird already

http://twitter.com/NewsjackBBC

Bang goes 'sketch number three' for me. Not that I thought they would ever use it, just I quite liked the idea of submitting three sketches.

The last Newsjack I listened to seemed to have sketches on mainly big stories, compared to early in the series where there was quite a few on smaller stories. Interesting to see what the breakdown this week is.

Two sketches gently thrown into the ether like Chinese lanterns in a warm summer's breeze.....

My 'racist GCHQ' skit has about as much chance as a snowball in hell but the other skit, about the Women's Institute, has perhaps found the right level of political satire.

The Twitter about no more Gazza forced a last minute rewrite and some frantic Googling! and I've also done one about GCHQ, had to be careful with that one but I don't think it's offensive!

Thursday can't get here quick enough!

Good luck to everyone who submitted :)

Quote: Sound of Spinach @ July 12 2010, 12:03 PM BST

The innocence of newcomers...

(By the way isn't wishing other people good luck shooting yourself in the foot? We can't all get on.)

I'd like to see the people here get their submissions used, I'm not sure I'd like to be the only one to say "woohoo, I did it" incase it was perceived as showing off!

Innocence? what is this word of which you speak?

I haven't let anyone read what I've written since I started, but as I thought my own GCHQ one was especially good I let a mate of mine read it, the miserable sod just said "oh they'll never use that" so I'm quite keen to shove it down his throat if it's as good as I thought it was.

Quote: Sound of Spinach @ July 12 2010, 12:03 PM BST

What???

This is the official Newsjack schedule:

Friday - Monday Noon: Trying to write sketches

Monday Noon - Tuesday 5pm: trying to write voxpops

Wednesday: Doing the 'special dance'

Thursday (until 6pm): Logging on. Just in case. Kissing photo of M.J. on the wall if material is in.

10.30pm: Listen to show.

10.59pm: Miles says the word 'jelly'. That's your entire contribution to the show.

(Repeat above until series ends)

There's no time spent 'wishing for Thursday'!

MikeyJ is just a little bit freaked out now :)

Dan