After You've Gone - Series 1 Page 2

This post has been removed at the request of the author

But a lot of people like My Family (the poor delusional fools), Fred Barron seem to be solely responsible for BBC1 sitcom output, please someone stop him.

I liked Celia Imrie but thought Nicholas Lyndhurst was miscast - IMO it needed someone far earthier to make him believable as a womanising former drunk. I did laugh once but that was it and this is not one I'll be making any great effort to watch regularly.

I'm a fan of (well, I don't dislike) "My Family" but this wasn't up to that standard in my opinion.

I'm conscious I shouldn't judge until seeing at least a second episode but, based on this first half hour, I have to say the writing seemed quite lazy - the jokes could be spotted a mile off and it seems they've just gone through the Standard Book of Gag Devices - last seen in "Home Again" (incidently same writers).

In fact can I just copy in Duke's reponse? I agree with you totally.

p.s. Dear After You've Gone - Getting a parking ticket isn't funny. Sorry.

Keep your views coming as it seems it is a 50/50 split so far - interested to hear what everyone else thought.

Watched the first ten minutes before heading out. Perhaps it improved when I turned it off, but I doubt it. What I saw was the usual Barron toss - flat and uninspired, a duff script and bad performances all round, especially from the two kids, although, in their defence, they were stuck with an old duffer's idea of what teenagers are like nowadays.

This post has been removed at the request of the author

I thought the boy, Alex, was excellent. His line to Gran "You smell nice" was pure Kris Marshall/Nick Harper.
But which of the 6 writers and the writer's (sic) assistant gave the girl the line "Boys suck"?

So, according to the credits, there were six writers and one of them had an assistant. Charlie, can you get your character to sort this out?

I'll send in ... Apostrophe Man!

G'day peeps,
Having been at the recording for four of the seven episodes i can tell you that it gets a lot better and that some of the episodes are hilarious! There is also a twist in the last episode which i hope makes it a sure thing for a second series. As sitcoms go its a very welcome return in my opinion for Nic Lyndhurst and Celia Imrie can do no wrong. As for the kids Dani is always brilliant in what she does and Ryan Sampson is hilarious. The episodes and the scripts get better as they go along. Can't wait for the rest of them. The laughter on the show is absolutely genuine because although it is in some ways predictable what sitcom isn't! We're all to involved with the american way of dealing with television without thinking about what we as brits think is funny.

I thought it was a reasonable opening episode. There were some obvious lines, some unfunny moments and some bad acting but it did make me laugh quite a few times.

Hopefully it will settle down now that the situation has been made clear and Nick Lyndhurst and Celia Imrie could make a fine double act.

Quote: Cat Randall @ January 13, 2007, 12:48 PM

Having been at the recording for four of the seven episodes...

Ah, lucky you! I couldn't go, unfortunately. Teddington isn't the easiest studio to reach from here. :(

Yeah, erm, lucky you. Whistling nnocently

It was bad enough sitting through one episode of this badly acted, woefully unfunny bollocks but having to endure several episodes during the recording...a fate worse than death.

Watched the most recent episode and I have to tel you that I laughed like a drain when Nick Lyndhurst's character couldn't get in the toilet! I couldn't actually get my breath. And to think that this huge house had only ONE toilet!!! My God, it was funny, funny, funny. In fact, I can't emphasise enough how funny this was because it was SO funny.

And the bit where Rodney threw a sock at his daughter whilst she was on the bog and told her to wipe herself with it. Soooo funny. And then there was the bit where posh bird put a cigarette in Rodney's drink, thinking that it was booze when he was actually drinking a coke. Oh, my sides...

Stop it, stop it or else I'm going to wet myself all over again..... Bugger! But I don't mind because it was so FUCKING funny!!!!!!!!