Jam and Jerusalem Page 4

I watched the last episode, what are we up to now, 4, and thought it was quite touching at times. It wasn't however, funny. So it is probably failing it's remit.

I don't watch it so what do I know? But they had the audacity to include the lamest dogging "gag" in a trailer for the last episode. If that is the kind of stuff that gets people watching then good luck to them.

For some reason, I watched (again) on Friday night, and there was one good bit. I loved seeing Sue's character rip her stupid, feckless hippie-daughter apart. Absolutely brilliant.

That was satisfying actually.

I live in the U.S., and I have to say that I think Saunders is brilliant. I also think that J & J is a refreshing spin on the usual canned idea of a sitcom. The characters are quietly, yet richly woven. It's got laughs, yet a believable ring of the human -- too often missing in more standard fare. Bravo, Jennifer for a charming, subtle, and amusing reflection of not only small town life, but how women dance with, around, and for one another.

Hi Raitha - welcome and thanks for sharing your view.

I guess that J&J would look fairly fresh in America when compared to the studio based setup that is common in the US.

We have perhaps been a little un-fair on it over here (I must admit I've still been watching as it's not terrible, it just doesn't make me laugh out loud) however, as most of our modern sitcoms are set in a modern, 'believable' dimension, it doesn't seem that good here when compared to other similar homely sitcoms.

Still enjoying this rich, warm show. And it does make me laugh out loud at times.

It's not so bad. It's cosy. If not exactly hilarious.

Does the annoying counsellor woman remind anyone else of Emma Kennedy?

Yes, they're very similar.

I see a few people are warming to this “show” (oops nearly put comedy)

It has a “nice” feel to it but is confused and not very funny, but I like the way Dawn French’s part is developing I don’t think I will even be a big fan but I can see a section of the population liking it.

Wasn’t David Mitchell suppose to be starring in this he’s been in it for all of two minutes so far

Barry

I know! That's been a bit disappointing.
I believe I saw him dressed as a dame in their panto though...

I avoided watching this after reading bad reviews everywhere, but I tuned in to the last episode just after Christmas (the panto episode) and loved it! I hate comedies that are gag,gag,gag and have little substance, but I thought this had some nice characterization. Best line, if I remember it correctly, was Doreen Mantle's character, who is eating her way through a large box of Family Circle and says 'do you mind if I stick my finger in the bottom for a chocolate ring?' Laughing out loud

I thought it was ok - not great - but watchable. Sue Johnston was on This Morning today and said apparently it's been commissioned for a second series so we haven't seen the back of it yet.

Dear God. More proof that the industry will accept any old shit from 'proven' writers.

Oh well.

I suppose there are some people who liked it.

Saw ten minutes. Boring. Unfunny. Watched My Family instead.