I read the news today oh boy! Page 85

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 5 2010, 1:53 PM GMT

Obviously, European royalty has been exclusively caucasian since it's inception...
First person to mention 'Snow Black' wins some Twiglets.

Princess Angela of Liechtenstein is black. I don't think she has ever been referred to, derisively or otherwise, as Snow Black. Twiglets please.

Is it the old political correctness gone mad or is it denying British black girls from playing princesses?

Now that is an interesting point. I'd say these fairy tales are such ridiculous confections so what if you add another twist. Certainly there's evidence that Spanish royalty could be a bit "Moorish."

That said the big thing is Disney are making huge amounts of money by encouraging pester power and encouraging these toys.outfits etc that lower kids esteem.

Quote: sootyj @ February 6 2010, 7:43 AM GMT

That said the big thing is Disney are making huge amounts of money.

Good point Sootz!

If I ticked different boxes in a diversity survey, I'd be p*ssed off at the lack of positive representation in the toy market.

However having witnessed the temper tantrums that these little 'princesses' are capable of, I'd have been quite happy to not have to fork out for the duvet cover, matching wall paper, lamp shade, school bag, lunch box...etc.

The pinkification of girls is a big debate in feminist circles. Certainly attitudes in surveyed teenage girls towards violence and relationships is disturbing.

I'd read somewhere that pink has only 'recently' been the colour for girls, apparently it used to be associated with blood making it a colour for boys. Blue was considered to be girlie.. sea, sky etc.,

The current obsession with pink princesses is scary!

There's always going to be a backlash against any succesful movement and the women's movement made huge strides in the last century.

Quote: sootyj @ February 7 2010, 9:58 AM GMT

the women's movement made huge strides in the last century.

As big as these strides? (46 inch waist!)

Just watched a story on BBC London News about the new Disney film Princess and the Frog. It featured a black mother who was pleased that there was a new film featuring a black woman as a princess.

Now, I found this a tad confusing, Africa is full of princesses who are black, but she wanted a European representation of a princess who was black.

Obviously, European royalty has been exclusively caucasian since it's inception, but then again, these are meant to be fairytales, so you can do with them whatever you like.

I think the question I'm trying to ask is should there be racial equality amongst old European fairytales and thier character depictions?

Is it the old political correctness gone mad or is it denying British black girls from playing princesses?

First person to mention 'Snow Black' wins some Twiglets.

I understand this is a cartoon for young children not a drama-documentary.
I suggest you email Richard Littlejohn to express your anger at this political correctness gone mad ("this would never happen if Enoch Powell was still around grr grr grr").

I envied Lady Penelope's car but never wore pink as a child.

It wasn't so long ago that little boys were dressed in dresses for the first couple of years of their lives.

Purely from observation I've noticed children go for gender specific toys at an early age, despite efforts of parents to give them no notion of this is for boys and this is for girls. Girls will go for the pink balloon, car, straw in their drink etc, as preference, but will accept things in other colours. In contrast boys will not accept pink or anything they deem girlie.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 8 2010, 2:00 PM GMT

I envied Lady Penelope's car but never wore pink as a child.

Purely from observation I've noticed children go for gender specific toys at an early age, despite efforts of parents to give them no notion of this is for boys and this is for girls.

Although you can re-market toys such as Action Man which got boys playing with dolls.
Although when I was a nipper Action Man looked really hard like Bodie from the Professionals. Now he looks like a gay stripper on steroids.

Quote: youngian @ February 8 2010, 2:06 PM GMT

Although you can re-market toys such as Action Man which got boys playing with dolls.
Although when I was a nipper Action Man looked really hard like Bodie from the Professionals. Now he looks like a gay stripper on steroids.

I think 70s action man set me up with certain expectations of what men should be like. I've always found some facial scars on men attractive. But why did he have such long feet?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 8 2010, 2:09 PM GMT

I've always found some facial scars on men attractive.

Me tooo.

Quote: youngian @ February 8 2010, 1:30 PM GMT

I understand this is a cartoon for young children not a drama-documentary.
I suggest you email Richard Littlejohn to express your anger at this political correctness gone mad ("this would never happen if Enoch Powell was still around grr grr grr").

I never said it was political correctness gone mad, I just asked the question in a very fair and balanced way.

If anything, Disney's latest movie is further evidence of the rise of Western cultural domination, homogenising (and therefore devaluing) all races and beliefs into a fantasy Judeo-Christian capitalist European ideal, including a class based hierarchy with an emphasis on material possessions.

BTW Kenneth is correct and Twiglets are being FedEx-ed to his prison island as we speak.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 8 2010, 2:09 PM GMT

But why did he have such long feet?

He was probably overcompensating

He also had a big armoured scout vehicle (well plastic really) which my mum purchased for me with her Green Shield Stamp books, which was very nice of her as she could of easily have wasted it on yellow loon pants.

A Dad got barred from Tescos for carrying his kid on his shoulders

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2845110/Tesco-ban-on-carrying-kids.html

What's this country coming to?
The Kid wasn't even wearing Pyjamas.