Worst 10 British sitcoms ever Page 9

Well I fondly remember Lee Evans - So What Now? and Dark Ages.

1. Blessed
2. Home Again
3. The Green Green Grass
4. The Office
5. Life Of Riley
6. Keeping Up Appearences
7. Phoenix Nights
8. The Royle Family
9. Pulling
10. Friends

BRITISH sitcoms, Dave. :)

In that case ...

1. Blessed
2. Home Again
3. The Green Green Grass
4. The Office
5. Life Of Riley
7. Phoenix Nights
8. The Royle Family
9. Pulling
10. Not Going Out

Quote: Dave @ May 17 2009, 5:44 PM BST

1. Blessed
2. Home Again
3. The Green Green Grass
4. The Office
5. Life of Riley
7. Phoenix Nights
8. The Royale Family
9. Pulling
10. Friends

Huh?

Quote: Dave @ May 17 2009, 5:47 PM BST

In that case ...

1.Blessed
2.Home Again
3.The Green Green Grass
4.The Office
5.Life of Riley
6.Keeping Up Appearences
7.Phoenix Nights
8.The Royale Family
9.Pulling
10.Not Going Out

On the ones you can't spell . . . you have to be joking ! Laughing out loud

1. Pay and Display
2. Other Animals
3. Cry Wolf
4. Starting Out
5. My Family
6. Barbara
7. Hi-De-Hi!
8. You Rang, M'Lord?
9. Dinnerladies
10. Next of Kin

I could go on and on and on and on

1. Lee Evans - So What Now?
2. The Green Green Grass
3. Coming Of Age
4. Only Fools And Horses
5. Mad About Alice
6. Pulling
7. Roman's Empire
8. Believe Nothing
9. Teenage Kicks
10. The Crouches

Sam's Game.

*shudder*

And at the time I fancied Davina McCall massively, and even I admit it was dire.

Quote: Aaron @ May 17 2009, 1:22 PM BST

I think you're going to have to define "flops" here, because there are a few there which ran for more than one series.

Well, there are varying degrees of floppiness obviously and despite some of the aforementioned shows running for two series, I doubt whether many would consider them to have been successes.

The second series of A Prince Among Men for example was shunted out of primetime and only shown on Sunday afternoons.

Keeping Mum meanwhile recorded awful viewing figures by all accounts.

Some other shows which failed to set the world alight from that era that I now recall are Holding the Baby, Chalk (which I didn't mind at the time), Bloomin' Marvellous, Loved by You, Up Rising, Captain Butler, High Stakes, Office Gossip, Carrie and Barry, Trevor's World of Sport (wasn't too bad), Believe Nothing...and Ben Elton's Blessed of course.

Not a great time for British TV comedy really.

Quote: Nick @ May 18 2009, 10:10 AM BST

Some other shows which failed to set the world alight from that era that I now recall are.... Believe Nothing.

Although Believe Nothing was largely forgettable it still had some moments of genius. Pity overall, I really wanted to like this show but there was something just not right about it.

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 18 2009, 12:39 AM BST

On the ones you can't spell . . . you have to be joking ! Laughing out loud

The ones I can't spell indeed! Phoenix Nights and The Royle Family - spelt them right.

Quote: Dave @ May 17 2009, 5:47 PM BST

1. Blessed

Now that was infuriating wank.

Quote: sardines @ May 17 2009, 8:34 PM BST

Huh?

Quite!

Quote: Nick @ May 18 2009, 10:10 AM BST

Well, there are varying degrees of floppiness obviously and despite some of the aforementioned shows running for two series, I doubt whether many would consider them to have been successes.

The second series of A Prince Among Men for example was shunted out of primetime and only shown on Sunday afternoons.

Keeping Mum meanwhile recorded awful viewing figures by all accounts.

Some other shows which failed to set the world alight from that era that I now recall are Holding the Baby, Chalk (which I didn't mind at the time), Bloomin' Marvellous, Loved by You, Up Rising, Captain Butler, High Stakes, Office Gossip, Carrie and Barry, Trevor's World of Sport (wasn't too bad), Believe Nothing...and Ben Elton's Blessed of course.

Not a great time for British TV comedy really.

Trevor's World Of Sport should never have been cancelled. That it went on to become so successful on radio is testament to that. Chalk was great, but a few years before most of the others we're mentioning. I have a soft spot for Captain Butler too, although that may be just because it was about pirates. (Some of the others I didn't think were too bad, but not special enough that I'll argue the point.)

Quote: Deferenz @ May 18 2009, 10:39 AM BST

Although Believe Nothing was largely forgettable it still had some moments of genius.

Yes, agreed. I watched it again recently and found a good proper LOL once or twice an episode, but mostly just "alright". As you say, forgettable.

Quote: Aaron @ May 18 2009, 1:51 PM BST

Trevor's World Of Sport should never have been cancelled. That it went on to become so successful on radio is testament to that. Chalk was great, but a few years before most of the others we're mentioning. I have a soft spot for Captain Butler too, although that may be just because it was about pirates. (Some of the others I didn't think were too bad, but not special enough that I'll argue the point.)

I should stress that I wasn't listing those shows because I personally dislike them all. Just because they indicate how many high profile sitcoms failed over that timespan.

The BBC treated Trevor's World Of Sport very poorly and after they have moved it about the schedules so much there was no way it was going to come back on TV.

Chalk is still liked by some I know and I quite liked it but it was a disaster for the BBC. If the second series hadn't been commissioned before the first one had aired then there is no way that it would have returned.

Worst Comedies?

Heres my list:

1. Lunch Monkeys
2. Dr Willoughby
3. Sorry
4. Pilgrims Rest
5. Dad
6. Ain't Misbehavin' (secretly like it)
7. Kiss Me Kate
8. The Life Of Reilly - though I'd give it a chance in 2nd series
9. Let Them Eat Cake
10. Mirrorball (1 ep was bad enough)