Stand up Comedy. Page 13

Quote: Gavin @ September 2 2009, 8:24 PM BST

But little kids aren't talented no matter what their parents say.

That's my argument, not that they will never except it.

'No she can't sing and she certainly cannot dance, so tell her to sit the f**k down..i'm trying to watch the football'

'...oh, and no, she doesn't look cute with a tooth missing, she look's like a lesbian alcoholic'.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 2 2009, 8:27 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I bet her paintings aren't very good either.

'It's a lovely picture of a boat on a river daddy..'

''Are you sure? it looks like a blue mess to me...it could be anything darling..now sit down'.

:)

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 2 2009, 8:24 PM BST

Well, Bill Hicks started doing proper stand-up gigs when he was 14...

As regards the nerves thing, it's nerves which does for most new stand-ups. Unless you can quickly develop a "f**k it" attitude to dying on stage, it may be best to start by going to a stand-up school. (As someone who started doing it age 20 and suffering from terrible nerves, I think it would have made life a bit easier.) It might help you to be in the same boat as a bunch of newbies and at the same time to gain practice and confidence before going before a "real" audience. (Times may have changed, but once you get out onto the circuit, it's a fairly dog-eat-dog mentality and newbies don't get a lot of support from more seasoned performers.)

Thanks for the advice Tim, I've done one or two open mics which went well but I agree that a stand up course to improve the material I have already got but also more importantly to help my nerves.

My gig went ok btw, thanks for asking. Humphf. Errr

I'm not sure jokes are enough - timing seems to be a big part of it. Sometimes jokes work and sometimes they fall flat depending on how you hit it.

Well done Stan... High 5.

Am finding loads of Open Mic slots all across London via things like facebook (I am sure there are lots outside London but I have no car).

I hope the Stand up section of the site launches soon ... a wiki type page listing things would be great. I've had to do lots of digging to find places for this and it reminds me of the slog to find production companies for sitcoms and sketches and well ... I can't be bothered will all this virtual legwork just to not get paid to tell jokes. I would rather y'know focus on being funny.

I drove a 300 mile round trip to a gong show in Derby last night and came 2nd out of 18 acts, should be happy but it hurts like hell! (and a long drive home)

It was filmed so if I can get hold of a copy I will post it and share my pain

Nice one. Well done. But 18 acts? That's a ridiculously long bill, man! Which was your spot in the running order? :)

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 3 2009, 9:28 AM BST

My gig went ok btw, thanks for asking. Humphf. Errr

I'm not sure jokes are enough - timing seems to be a big part of it. Sometimes jokes work and sometimes they fall flat depending on how you hit it.

timing, audience, position on bill, compere, weather, phrasing, mood and attitude, venue, staff... all can effect a gig.

live comedy is a bit like an orchid. It needs all the right conditions to thrive.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 1 2009, 5:45 PM BST

Nah - it's still on there. And it's nothing like Jo Brand! Although that is high praise (love JB). What a horrible comment - have added one of my own and given it the deserved 5 stars, although I guess it's taking time to come through though. ComedyBex doesn't sound like anyone on the board.

I've just seen this. Can I just say ComedyBex is NOT me, in case anyone was wondering.

Quote: Gavin @ September 2 2009, 8:24 PM BST

But little kids aren't talented no matter what their parents say.

Come on! This is pretty good for a five year-old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nJVkN8W9ow

Quote: Daddy Maz @ September 8 2009, 11:05 AM BST

I drove a 300 mile round trip to a gong show in Derby last night and came 2nd out of 18 acts, should be happy but it hurts like hell! (and a long drive home)

It was filmed so if I can get hold of a copy I will post it and share my pain

Congrats! Second is pretty good for the CV - although that is a long way to go for gig, it sounds like it was worth it.

Looking forward to the vid. I take it the 18 acts were over a number of weeks?

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 8 2009, 11:06 AM BST

Nice one. Well done. But 18 acts? That's a ridiculously long bill, man!

It's not that unusual. The gig I'm doing tonight has anything up to 24.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 8 2009, 11:32 AM BST

It's not that unusual. The gig I'm doing tonight has anything up to 24.

Karaoke competitions don't count, Bussell.

I have been considering doing stand up, though I don't have any material. But I was thinking if I did it it would be under a character style persona (would stop me getting nervous) , and I was wondering if any of the BCGers performed stand up with a persona or if they're mainly themselves.

BCG-recommended script consultant, Mr Marc Blake, does a very good stand-up comedy character around the circuit.

What type of character?

He plays a German.