Stand up Comedy. Page 9

Quote: catskillz @ August 15 2009, 10:31 PM BST

I've been giving stand up some serious thought recently, and I've come to the conclusion that I could probably only do it if I was playing character, with a different voice than my own. Does anyone else feel like this?

I did and that was my intention, but I ended up being myself - albeit in a more exagerrated form. It wasn't that scary really.

I've seen some standups doing 'characters' and it can seem contrived, unless you're really confident. I also think it would take years to perfect especailly a different voice, when you get nervous it's the first thing to go wobbly, and the audience will notice.

As Dolly says, be yourself but exaggerated! You're naturally funny Catz. You may find the other 'you' doesn't like things you do, but that's because you feel so strongly about it, it's easier to find the polar opposite.

Is it me or do women not have as much fear about doing stand-up comedy as men? Maybe because being funny is linked to being masculine or because everyone is expecting women to be shit, or maybe because we used to feeling self-conscious and stared at?

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 15 2009, 10:47 PM BST

You're naturally funny Catz.

Really? You think so? Aww shucks!

Hmmm, is that your other character? All koi, and fishing for compliments. If so you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

Angie - did you go swimming with the sharks?

Nope, some Health and Safety nonsense about the sea being too rough and they couldn't anchor the boat. I'm like 'Hello,'Health and Safety'? We're about to go diving with sharks, and you're worried I might slip on deck?'.

I was reallllly disappointed, but it was a lovely day so lying on the beach was a good consolation.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 16 2009, 7:31 PM BST

Nope, some Health and Safety nonsense about the sea being too rough and they couldn't anchor the boat. I'm like 'Hello,'Health and Safety'? We're about to go diving with sharks, and you're worried I might slip on deck?'.

I was reallllly disappointed, but it was a lovely day so lying on the beach was a good consolation.

Oh well . At least you're still here. :)

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 15 2009, 6:23 PM BST

Hey Stan,

just watched your stand-up. Really liked it, you were confident for your first go, and really natural. Congratulations!

I'm going diving with great white sharks tomorrow, and I'm less scared about that than I was doing my first gig.

I think it helps to be a little bit unhinged to do stand-up.

Cheers! Much appreciated. It definitely helped to have memorised the entire set so I could just run with it. Shame about the sharks - although it did give you a nice piece of comedy material you can use in your next routine. :)

Quote: Daddy Maz @ August 15 2009, 6:54 PM BST

Well done Stand for a your first bash up on stage that was ace!

Cheers DM!

Really enjoyed this mate, such an amazing buzz isn't it? Got more lined up?

Cheers Danny - means a lot! I dunno - I've got lots of the stupes poems, but struggle with the filler gags in between.

Might try at a few more here in Cardiff and get to know the local standup crowd. Hopefully it'll also help the writing.

Driven by this thread have booked my first gig in a week. Slightly concerned that none of it is committed to memory. Still, a week in front of the bathroom mirror should do the trick. Failing that will bring lots of rejected NewsJack submissions and just read them out.

Reciting the set to yourself in the car on the commute to work is really helpful - (hopefully) forces you not to look at notes.

Tried reciting bits during the morning jog. Looked like a weird man sweating and mumbling to himself but felt epic. Especially as I went over a hill and looked over all of East London. If they every make a comedy version of Rocky that scene should be in there.

Where's the gig?