Stand up Comedy. Page 10

Quote: thefridaylink @ August 18 2009, 9:06 AM BST

Tried reciting bits during the morning jog. Looked like a weird man sweating and mumbling to himself but felt epic. Especially as I went over a hill and looked over all of East London. If they every make a comedy version of Rocky that scene should be in there.

I do like reciting a set while jogging along.

http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=107030867154

Have to look it up on a map before I go.

And learn some jokes.

Was really easy to get on actually. Just emailed the guy and he said "sure why not".

Hey fridaylink, I'll see you there!

Anyone fancy a stand-up slot this Saturday at a festival in Shoreditch?

I don't know much about it but it's for worthy cause and they're looking for stand-ups from 2 pm. I can't make it but they've asked to put the word out.

Here's the link: http://www.artival.co.uk/contact/index.html

Drop the organisers an email, Print out the free entry flyer, and good luck!

Not far from me - looks awesome and a good cause, but at the Green Man fest this weekend unfortunately.

This might be of interest http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8216991.stm

That homeless gig looked really interesting. I like writing themed monologues (for more competent performers).
Shame I have only seen it now.

Anyway looking forward to tomorrow. Have given up on memorising the first bit of my set and am just going to read a bunch of one liners off cards. (How can I commit a bunch of samba songs to memory and not a bunch of puns I wrote. My brains hate me.)

@AngieBaby ... see you there! Been looking at some of the pics on facebook... looks like a really cool stage.

G'luck friday - let us know how it goes.

Just got back home and have basically been high 5'ing myself for 15 minutes.
Despite regularly going to Trafalgar Square and backflipping in front of tourists for money this made me really nervous and I didn't eat cos I genuinely thought I might be sick.
Kept my notes in front of me and spoke around them which I worked into the set. Did 9 minutes in a 5 minute slot but the MC was really cool about it - esp as I seemed to make him laugh.
Went down really well. String of one-liners got more laughs than I was expecting and a last minute device I came up with to link some of them seemed to work. Hands were shaking the whole time ... but the bright lights hid some of that.
Am babbling a bit so I'll stop but will post a video up somewhere later on.
Oh ... the venue ... excellent... mostly other comedians in the crowd but everyone is really supportive. Some poor guy died on stage and everyone gave him a real supportive cheer every time he got it together for a cheer. And there were some really polished acts on as well ... definitely would recommend it to anyone near the area.

Anyway ... glad I went. Have been meaning to try this ever since that sketch writing course some of us went to with Dave. Read out some jokes to mild giggles with SootyJ and thought ... "this is pretty cool" and ... it is.

http://thefridaylink.com/blog/

My set ... with some of the jokes typed out for when the audio is muffled. Didn't die/throw up so am relatively pleased.

Congrats! Will check out tonight.

('Mild giggles with SootyJ' sounds like a TV show)

The sound is terrible! Had to give up half way - invest in a video camera! Your face also has no features. I hope that was also the fault of the video camera or how else would you eat.

Despite that you can still see it's a really good set - love the dedication of the jokes to people - really good conceit - works especially well with the PE teacher. The SOS joke is genius.

Shame about the sound - I wanted to hear the whole thing. Are you planning on aiming high with an eye to Edinburgh next year? Would be good to see if any of the new starters on this thread make it.

*edit* Also liked the g'friend laptop bit.

Thanks for watching! And thanks to Steve for starting this thread ... would never have tried it otherwise.

- yeah the sound is a bit off (done with an old point and click camera). Was a bit miffed that the sound didn't work so well which was why I wacked half the script up online.
I have a proper mini-DV cam but thought I'd look like a bit of a prick with a massive camera in a tiny gig.
I was planning on building a book of one liners up, and then having a slightly longer set punctuated with a few simple gag heavy radio sketches ... like the Man with A Computer Virus sketch I wrote with SootyJ.

Once I get my confidence and memory up to scratch it would be nice to do a few competitions. Time will tell.

I haven't watched it yet, but enjoyed reading the transcript.
Some good jokes there mate, keep it up!

Quote: thefridaylink @ August 26 2009, 10:44 PM BST

Once I get my confidence and memory up to scratch it would be nice to do a few competitions. Time will tell.

You should do, if I could laugh a lot when I couldn't hear half of it, it must be pretty awesome. Don't worry about the cards, it looked more like you were using them to remind you who the jokes were dedicated to, which was ok.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0018RUCG6/phaedrus002-21

:)

wow ... I want one.

off to create a list of competitions and other open night slots ... will post them back on here if I find anything interesting.