Stand up Comedy. Page 8

Thanks guys. It was quite scary being so far from home with no friends in the audience to give me moral support.

I totally blagged myself onto the bill, mentioning you're from the UK helps. I doubt they'd have entertained me if they'd known it was only my 3rd gig. But we've all got to start somewhere :D

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 10 2009, 11:23 PM BST

Just did my first gig in Cape Town, really enjoyed it, and I am still buzzing!

The audience (over 200!!!) were so receptive, it was a great experience.

And they know how to treat stand-ups properly, champagne in the green room etc., none of that 'bring your friends to get 5 minute' nonsense that goes on in London.

Don't know if I'm going to get any sleep tonight....

Bloody Hell!

Well done Angie! You've got some balls.

In a nice way.

Wish I had the guts to get up there.

Well done Angie.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 11 2009, 8:22 PM BST

Thanks guys. It was quite scary being so far from home with no friends in the audience to give me moral support.

That's the best way I find. I've never had anyone I know see my gigs.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 11 2009, 8:32 PM BST

That's the best way I find. I've never had anyone I know see my gigs.

Hey Dolly, you're so right!

I wouldn't have considered going to gigs alone before but it really helped with my confidence and I used some material that I might have been too shy to do in front of people of that know me.

BigFella - I have a feeling you'll be trying standup soon...

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 11 2009, 8:48 PM BST

BigFella - I have a feeling you'll be trying standup soon...

I'm not so sure....

Why are you in Cape Town btw?

For work, it's winter here and it's nicer weather than back home's 'summer'.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 11 2009, 8:57 PM BST

For work, it's winter here and it's nicer weather than back home's 'summer'.

That's a good job!

What do you do?

I just did my first standup yesterday at 'Beat the Dog' in Swansea. Awesome place and friendly atmosphere despite the competitive nature of the night. I did have to wait a couple of hours before my name was drawn to go up, and during that time it occurred to me more than once that this whole think is terrifying - why on earth do people want do it as a living?

Anyway - here's the whole 4 mins worth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIk2qrgR0A

Quote: Stan Doubt @ August 14 2009, 7:45 PM BST

this whole think is terrifying

That's what puts me off giving it a go!

I'll give your set a watch once it loads up.

Hey Stan,

just watched your stand-up. Really liked it, you were confident for your first go, and really natural. Congratulations!

I'm going diving with great white sharks tomorrow, and I'm less scared about that than I was doing my first gig.

I think it helps to be a little bit unhinged to do stand-up.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 15 2009, 6:23 PM BST

I'm going diving with great white sharks tomorrow, and I'm less scared about that than I was doing my first gig.

:O My god.

Well, I say that now, but the only reason I posted that was so I couldn't chicken out. If I you don't see me online tomorrow night, assume the worst.

They say that the great white doesn't like human meat as we're too boney, but they haven't seen my ass in a wet suit yet!

Well done Stand for a your first bash up on stage that was ace!

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 15 2009, 6:51 PM BST

Well, I say that now, but the only reason I posted that was so I couldn't chicken out. If I you don't see me online tomorrow night, assume the worst.

They say that the great white doesn't like human meat as we're too boney, but they haven't seen my ass in a wet suit yet!

I'm sure it's wonderful :$

Good luck. :)

I've been giving stand up some serious thought recently, and I've come to the conclusion that I could probably only do it if I was playing character, with a different voice than my own. Does anyone else feel like this?