Stand up Comedy. Page 6

I'm planning on trying it out in 1-2 months, currently trying to write a sitcom pilot script so trying to write material when I can really. Looks like fun..
Maybe they'll go easy on me being 17 Cool

Quote: Mike T @ July 4 2009, 3:44 PM BST

Yeah, I think that will definitely be taken into consideration.

Quote: Mike T @ July 4 2009, 3:44 PM BST

I'm planning on trying it out in 1-2 months, currently trying to write a sitcom pilot script so trying to write material when I can really. Looks like fun..

I'm the same age as you and I admire your confidence!!
I don't even wanna try it at the moment because an audience easily feels nervousness so I'd just do really crap and probably die lol.

I am trying to write 10 minutes of material that I'm confident with.

I am also looking to do a stand-up course. In 2010, I want to start doing as many gigs as I can.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 4 2009, 3:55 PM BST

Yeah, I think that will definitely be taken into consideration.

Sarcasm I'm guessing

Quote: Mike T @ July 5 2009, 10:53 AM BST

Sarcasm I'm guessing

But coming from a good place, I can assure you, Mike. More a dig at comedy audiences and their drunken sadism if anything. :)

Quote: Daddy Maz @ June 6 2009, 7:42 PM BST

Please tell me someone went to the Lions Den gong show last night?

Someone has posted on YouTube the reason for my above post.

Basically there was a really drunk woman in the front row that was ruining every comedians set (talking on the phone,heckling etc) and they really should have thrown her out as she just couldn't be embarrased.
Then these two guys came on and ripped her apart and the crowd loved them she still heckled the next act even with 50/60 screaming at her to F-off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWUi3Qmblf0

It were a strange night

They handled her terribly. And I don't see that they particularly had the crowd on their side. Their material was limp shit to begin with, their delivery awful, and they had all the hallmarks of performers who simply cannot handle going off-(their very mediocre) script.

A good comedian would have engaged her and used her for genuinely witty improv. It is possible to get even a drunk heckler to respect you and shut up.

To be honest, with a good comic, hecklers should never be able to gain the upper hand or set the agenda, which she, in some respects, did. You make them think again primarily by letting the audience take the lead in any chastisement. You do this by being funny enough to have the rest of the audience wanting to hear you set, far more than they want to hear the heckler. That wasn't the case here.

And genuinely losing your rag with a heckler, because you've lost control of the situation, is amateur night.

I was a part of a stand up act when I was in college. A friend of mine wrote great material, however had no stage presence. I was painfully shy but was much better at being funny. So the whole act revolved around him bombing on stage, me heckling him from the audience and then I'd take over at the end. We were quite a hit, but alas it was not meant to be...

In the days I did stand-up round the London "circuit" there wasn't a comedy club/night everywhere (as there more-or-less is now). As a newbie you'd end up trying to do a gig in a ten-foot x two-foot walk-in bar off the Tottenham Court Road, standing on a fruit-packing box with a Fisher Price microphone. The most effective heckle in these places was often the barman interrupting your set to call "Last Orders" at the bar.

(One of the worst gigs I ever did though, was after driving out to some pub in the back-waters of Kent - it was a well-paid gig - only to discover there were more comics than audience. It was the night of Princess Di's big-blub interview with Martin Bashir and no-one was going out.)

We had some great successes on campus and tried out the act in some small clubs in Buffalo, but the biggest problem was that we were found out after a while and friends would be looking for me in the audience. Not a bad gig for an 18 year old...

Stand-up is one of those things that some people just will never have the balls to even try. I did it for 4 years, but it became too much of a slog and a distraction from my degree, to be honest. Have done the very occasional gig, but you have to be doing it regularly to really enjoy it and be any good.

My husband is wickedly funny, a total failure as a husband and father, but funny nonetheless. Everyone keeps telling him to give it a try, but he just doesn't have the interest in it. I'd love to try it again, but all the clubs around here are real dives...

My experience is that you can only handle a heckler when they are too trying to be genuinely funny or cocky, a well thought out come back would put them in their place and get laughs from everyone.
However if someone is steaming drunk then no amount of funny put downs or razor wit will make them embarrased or shut them up and the best way then is to ignore them or attempt to get them removed for the sake of your punchlines and the rest of the audience. (watch Richard Herring on yotube)
These guys may have lost the plot with her but most of the audience were just as frustrated as she wasn't saying anything clever actually she wasn't shouting out anything coherent.

My worse heckle was something simular and I got the crowd behind me and laughing at my put downs however it didn't shut him up and made him more defiant so wished in hindsight I just delt with it with a more low key approach.

But then I am an amateur and don't claim to be a top professional.

The weirdest heckle I ever saw was at the funny side and there was a stag party of about 37 and everytime the act finished a sentence, the same guy would raise his glass and yell "you rock". . It got boring after the 14th time.

why did mr.T give money to the village idiot?
Because he pitied the fool

bdum tsh. .