Stand up Comedy. Page 18

Quote: thefridaylink @ September 18 2009, 2:50 PM BST

Cheers! Yeah ... was drinking some Rubicon juice at the time and made myself giggle. (For about 10 minutes. Kept going to myself "Why did you make that joke ... it's awful. Rubicon made me ... they are not to be crossed" ... I'm an idiot) Are they not popular? They always seem to be the non-fizzy option in London kebab shops.

Ah well ... back to the pad.

How about...

What is the most feared non-fizzy drinks manufacturer?
Rubicon, as they are not to be crossed.

This now made me laugh. Dunno why.

Quote: AngieBaby @ September 18 2009, 2:01 PM BST

yeah Good Luck Kaboosh, and anyone else who's on this weekend.

Cheers dudes, went very well last night, got through to the next round I've been told by the staff and other comedians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjKxb1rv0c

Here's a vid my brother took on his phone

Congrats! How did you find out - did they tell you at the end of the night?

Great set, liked it a lot.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 19 2009, 5:54 PM BST

Congrats! How did you find out - did they tell you at the end of the night?

Great set, liked it a lot.

Yeah they told me, pretty much as soon as I came off stage.

It was good experience though, got a load of good tips from the other main acts, and learned a lot being up there. Already started rewriting the set. Not an overhaul, just tweaking.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 29 2009, 10:05 PM BST

I was asked today whether I wanted to be in a sketch of mine that Hat Trick are filming and I turned that down too. The older I get the more cowardly I become I think. Or wise - not sure which.

That's mental. An opportunity missed there Lee.

Quote: Kaboosh @ September 19 2009, 6:18 PM BST

Yeah they told me, pretty much as soon as I came off stage.

Nice one Kaboosh!

Oh so did they do they whole 'Audience gets to decide' thing?

I've got mine this Friday and I'm finding it hard to concentrate... Angry

Quote: AngieBaby @ September 20 2009, 1:12 PM BST

Nice one Kaboosh!

Oh so did they do they whole 'Audience gets to decide' thing?

I've got mine this Friday and I'm finding it hard to concentrate... Angry

Cheers dude, the comedians and staff review you based on how good you were and send that off to HQ. They told me after I came off, although, not being big headed, the other guy really didn't have a good show so I kind off suspected I would be ok :S

That sounds horrible I know, but it's the truth.

That's weird, the comedians and staff seemed to have no idea how it would be decided in Bristol - plus the other guy knew all the other comedians so it was hardly impartial. I didn't have a great gig, but still...

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 20 2009, 7:43 PM BST

That's weird, the comedians and staff seemed to have no idea how it would be decided in Bristol - plus the other guy knew all the other comedians so it was hardly impartial. I didn't have a great gig, but still...

Well apparently the staff write a short review on each comedian anyway, and Jongleurs will contact the MC (as they're the only one guaranteed to be there all night) to find out who they thought was the best. So it goes from there, in my case the MC contacted the lady from jongleurs HQ as I was on stage to recommend me, and told me after he came of from introducing the next act.

Who was the Mc Kaboosh?

Quote: Kaboosh @ September 20 2009, 7:50 PM BST

Well apparently the staff write a short review on each comedian anyway, and Jongleurs will contact the MC (as they're the only one guaranteed to be there all night) to find out who they thought was the best. So it goes from there, in my case the MC contacted the lady from jongleurs HQ as I was on stage to recommend me, and told me after he came of from introducing the next act.

Just spoke to the someone from Jongleurs, try and chase up how it went. They do still look over all the videos to make the final decision, which I kind of suspected, so not quite as firmly through as I thought I was :S I think I just buzzing a little from how well it went. Still fairly confident... ish.

Will be a bit nervy until the end of the week.

She did say it would be down to both staff and comedian reviews and what they think of the vids.

So hopefully that makes it a bit clearer for others taking part.

So is it You vs Someotherguy each night or just people looking at videos and picking x%? Cos 1 on 1s will drag on for ages.

Ah well ... am not looking forward to mine. I have *nothing* for a Jongleurs crowd.

don't let the myth of what a 'jongleurs' crowd is bother you. There's a lot of nonsense talked about it.

Yes you can get stags and hens in, but they can be an absolute dream to play for sometimes. They are there to have a good time.

Occasionally you get some knobheads in, but for five minutes they're not going to bother you really.

And you can get knobheads in any gig. Not just Jongleurs. The place is generally maligned by open spots who never have a hope of playing there.

Just go, do your spot and enjoy it. Don;'t worry about the crowd, they are on your side.

Thanks ... you have no idea how helpful that was

True - because of the drunk people calling out I thought mine went terrible. But the show manager said that a couple people had gone up to her saying how much they'd enjoyed my stuff. Even on Kaboosh's video you can hear some ragamuffin calling out 'wanker' at one point. Best to ignore and talk over it - you only have 5 mins.

Kaboosh, cheers - will chase it. You never know...

Thought of a couple of jokes last night:

'This morning I opened my fridge and the milk had gone off. Gone off with the muesli to Tenerife - will be back in a week'

'A guy came up to me and said 'your poems are good, but your similies are Rubbish!' And walked off like a sloppy barn owl.'

(not sure grammar jokes are funny. Or maybe they are, but this one isn't)

'My nephew asked me the other day - 'why is God single?

Is he gay?

Or just very picky?

And I said, 'Who wants to watch Telly Tubbies!...?'