Stand up Comedy. Page 23

Commiserations, TFL. But well done. You did the gig, you've analysed the situation and (most importantly) you had some positive feedback from a more experienced stand-up. The people in the audience will not remember you tomorrow. That audience is gone, they're the past, forget about them. Your next gig is a new chapter. Get back out there, try to perform your set better from a technical standpoint. If some laughs come your way, well, that's a bonus.

There's a massive difference between making people laugh on a one-to-one basis compared with doing stand-up to an audience. It's a painful lesson to learn, but if you keep at it you will get there. There are stand-ups that successfully work the circuit with only very average material. Extremely thick skins, technical polish and determination has got them there.

It's always shit the night you've died on your arse, but you'll survive. Most people would not even have the guts to stand up in front of an audience and tell a single old knock-knock joke, let alone their own material. Remember that and best of luck with the next gig. ;)

What they said, TFL. Listen to the headliner, put it down to experience, and remember why you are doing it in the first place. Good luck.

Cheers guys.
I don't care what normal people say, strangers on the internet are awesome.

Aww, Friday, don't worry about it mate. Honestly, I felt gutted after my Jongleurs gig, but it's a different kind of humour. When you're doing the 5 minute open mike gigs, it's mostly full of other comics who are appreciative of a clever joke, and recognise material that's unique. But your general Jongleurs crowd don't tend to be comedy experts, they just want to see comedy they don't have to think about too hard like Micheal Mcintyre. No disrespect indended, but if it's not fitting in to their idea of 'comedy' then they just don't get it!
I've taken 2 weeks off after my gig, to chill-out, but I'm back next week in the knowledge that nothing could ever be as bad as my Jongleurs gig, and I lived to tell the tale.
Console

You do have awesome material tfl, if you ever quit comedy I'll be the first round your door asking you to write for me. Obviously I hope you stick with it yourself though!

Maybe take it as a sign that you should practice more - I do 10 minutes a day going through the routine.

Last night I did a gig at Chapter in Cardiff and it went really well - but then it was full of arty people and not a piss-head among them. Places like that are good for the confidence!

I'm doing a gig on Thursday 29th in the Fulham/Parson's green area at a pub called the Southern Cross.

If anyone's near by, bring tomatoes it would be good to see you.

Bad luck TFL but these things happen. F**k, I've died enough times, and I've only just broken double figures! You went in to a tough room and delivered some material that might not have suited the crowd. Get back up on the pony and give it some more.

"I don't have any kids, but I thought I'd invest in them early. I've bought expensive pants."

any good?

I don't get it, it's not clear enough. Tried it on a few people who sit next to me at work to see if it was just me, but they don't get it either.

I can't link the pants to the kids (there's probably a joke in there somewhere :P)

Quote: Kaboosh @ October 19 2009, 3:57 PM BST

I can't link the pants to the kids (there's probably a joke in there somewhere :P)

Looking after your balls (I think).

It's a nice idea, Stan, maybe need to be a bit more direct and precise than "expensive trousers"? Perhaps a gag based on "protecting my kids" an excuse for fondling your balls or such-like...

I've just thought of a one, slight rewording of one of my other gags,

Have been wanting to have kids for a while now, but just can't seem to get the hand of grooming them

Better than mine. Hmmm I just can't seem to do oneliners...

Quote: Stan Doubt @ October 19 2009, 4:58 PM BST

Better than mine. Hmmm I just can't seem to do oneliners...

Well, you need to look at the nature of the one-liner (or the pullback, reveal, I think it's called). You present a situation, and think of what it's natural conclusion is, then work backwards from there. The natural conclusion is what everyone is expecting, you then pullback and reveal the bigger picture, which is far removed from what they initially thought, which is where the joke lies.

So, for instance, I once walked in on my brother masturbating, I could see he was embarrased so I stopped (or 'put my cock away' is another ending to that one, still perfecting the back end, trial and error).

You assume he is masturbating, but when I reveal the bigger picture, it is in fact me who has walked into his room whilst masturbating.

The formula is pretty simple, once grasped you can apply to practically anything.

Another one, I was once asked if I would pay money for sex, I obviously said no, so she took my mobile phone as payment

<I know these are bad ... am in a silly mood and don't want to translate IPO documents >

"I don't have any kids, but I thought I'd invest in them early. I've bought expensive pants."

Steel pants? Reinforced pants?

I don't have any kids, but I thought I'd take care of the family jewels just in case. I took them off display for a start.

I offered to show my friend but he said ... you must be skidding. Can't get anything right these days. Am on a loosing streak.

"I don't have any kids, but I thought I'd invest in the future. My bank manager told me to look at a number of packages and ... well to cut a long story short* I now have steel pants. And a boyfriend."

I've always wondered why rappers wear their trousers so low? I asked one and he said "Why Front?".

I was going to do a joke about really skimpy pants but apparently you can't go Thong.

*to put it briefly ... tee-hee

Cheers Kaboosh, that's useful. It seems you also have to have a 'shock factor' with those kind of jokes.