Stand up Comedy. Page 17

Kudos for compering - you guys have an even harder job! Yeah, I was one of the two acts, but in the Bristol heat. I got through the five minutes, but would not've wanted to stay on the stage any longer than that. It started well, but the silence was defening by the end and I had talked over a lot of hecklers.

It's good for me I guess that one of your competitors dropped out, but I don't think I stand a chance (or would want to do Jongleurs again until I have appropriate material...)

Quote: jdubya @ September 14 2009, 11:44 AM BST

were you there as part of the FHM thingie?

Crap meant to register for that...

Quote: dannyjb1 @ September 14 2009, 12:51 PM BST

Crap meant to register for that...

I'm doing this, fingers crossed it goes well. My material is pretty solid, and have a number of prep'd comebacks for certain heckles, although I have a pretty good opening gag that gets a good laugh early on. But some are there just to cock about regardless I guess.

Do jongleus still kick trouble makers out? I went there a while back and the comedian was doing well, but some bloke kept heckling, on the second heckle the comedian (I forget who he was) said "you might wanna think twice about saying anything else", so the bloke shouted something like "get off", and the staff threw him out.

I know this questions been asked before but its hard work going through pages and pages looking for it.. so how many pages roughly is a 10 min set? :)

Quote: Mike T @ September 14 2009, 3:21 PM BST

I know this questions been asked before but its hard work going through pages and pages looking for it.. so how many pages roughly is a 10 min set? :)

Depends really on your style, if your similar to Lee Evans for example, you'd probably need about 20 pages at the rate he runs at.

I run at about a page a minute, although my hand writing is terrible and large, so you could probably get 2 maybe 3 minutes at a push per page if typed up.

Quote: Kaboosh @ September 14 2009, 3:25 PM BST

Depends really on your style, if your similar to Lee Evans for example, you'd probably need about 20 pages at the rate he runs at.

I run at about a page a minute, although my hand writing is terrible and large, so you could probably get 2 maybe 3 minutes at a push per page if typed up.

kk thanks (:

Quote: Kaboosh @ September 14 2009, 3:18 PM BST

Do jongleus still kick trouble makers out?

To answer my own question, yes. Went in there yesterday to book one of their rooms for our office Christmas Party and got chatting to the manager about Friday (when I'm on). He said they'll generally give a tap on the shoulder for a second heckle, third and they're out. This is of course assuming the act is doing well.

How did you get on Stan in the end? did you get through?

Heard nothing yet (and don't expect to get through), but I think they wait until everyone's performed and then watch the videos back at FHM HQ before they decide who's in the final.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 15 2009, 2:52 PM BST

Heard nothing yet (and don't expect to get through), but I think they wait until everyone's performed and then watch the videos back at FHM HQ before they decide who's in the final.

That's interesting, I assumed, I don't know why, that it would be judged on the night by the compere. Some kind of "shout out if you liked act A...". I think it was because they were arranging for us to go up against someone, and it is stated that they are regional heats.

That said, I wonder what will happen to those who go up by themselves, ie like from jdubya's post, will they get automatic qualification? or will they have to perform again (which is stated as a possibility in the T&C's).

Much to ponder...

Good luck to people doing this tonight, let us know how it goes...

Just got a 10 minute gig on Monday. Which is mad as I don't really have a solid 5 minute set yet. Time to test those new gags I guess.

Including ...

Saw sign on local Kebab shop telling me to Boycott Israeli Dates. Which is hard as I use the Jewish Calendar.

What happens in North Korea, stays in North Korea. Mostly due to trade sanctions. (I am fond of this ... no-one else is.)

Oh and ...
What is the most feared drinks manufacturer?
Rubicon, as they are not to be crossed.

Laughed @ the first two. Not a fan of the last one. Just because Rubicon isn't a popular drink...so it seems like it's trying too hard to be clever.

I'm trying to work on a surreal joke based around wondering what it would be like to make tea with fizzy water. It's not working though.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 18 2009, 12:37 PM BST

Good luck to people doing this tonight, let us know how it goes...

yeah Good Luck Kaboosh, and anyone else who's on this weekend.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ September 18 2009, 1:48 PM BST

Laughed @ the first two. Not a fan of the last one. Just because Rubicon isn't a popular drink...so it seems like it's trying too hard to be clever.

I'm trying to work on a surreal joke based around wondering what it would be like to make tea with fizzy water. It's not working though.

Cheers! Yeah ... was drinking some Rubicon juice at the time and made myself giggle. (For about 10 minutes. Kept going to myself "Why did you make that joke ... it's awful. Rubicon made me ... they are not to be crossed" ... I'm an idiot) Are they not popular? They always seem to be the non-fizzy option in London kebab shops.

Ah well ... back to the pad.

Just heard my Patrick Swayze joke which I Tweeted on a PodCast from a proper comedian. It wasn't wildly original so it is definitely not poached, I'm just pleased that a pro is having the same thoughts.