Family Guy/American Dad Page 9

"Hey remember that time when something happened that has nothing to do with this current plot?"

"Hey this is kind of like that time two minutes ago when we couldn't think of a plot"

"That reminds me of that time when we commented on the comment of not having a plot"

*Peter Griffin is slapped across the face with the script, over and over and over and over and over again until every single ounce of humour is strained out of it and then just once more to make sure*

That is my summary of what Family Guy is like, except my version has more of a plot. :)

The non-sequitur: good for those who revel in absurdity, bad for those who need a formulaic plot.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 29 2009, 4:10 AM BST

The non-sequitur: good for those who revel in absurdity, bad for those who need a formulaic plot.

Absurdity in place of jokes isn't good.

And the plot doesn't have to be formulaic, but some plot would be nice. :)

Quote: Martin H @ April 29 2009, 1:57 PM BST

Absurdity in place of jokes isn't good.

I disagree. A good sense of the absurd is often preferable to the banality of much that is classified as comedy. Spike Milligan used to say something like: "When logic fails you, nonsense saves you."

Oh absurdity can work no doubt about it, but it has to be used well.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 29 2009, 3:27 PM BST

I disagree. A good sense of the absurd is often preferable to the banality of much that is classified as comedy. Spike Milligan used to say something like: "When logic fails you, nonsense saves you."

I wouldn't take anything said by the painfully unfunny Spike Milligan as gospel.

Quote: Martin H @ April 28 2009, 5:15 PM BST

"Hey remember that time when something happened that has nothing to do with this current plot?"

"Hey this is kind of like that time two minutes ago when we couldn't think of a plot"

"That reminds me of that time when we commented on the comment of not having a plot"

*Peter Griffin is slapped across the face with the script, over and over and over and over and over again until every single ounce of humour is strained out of it and then just once more to make sure*

That is my summary of what Family Guy is like, except my version has more of a plot. :)

This is correct.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 29 2009, 8:02 PM BST

I wouldn't take anything said by the painfully unfunny Spike Milligan as gospel.

Not even The Bible According to Spike Milligan?

Family Guy's humour (much of which stems from Seth McFarlane's love of non-sequiturs and absurdity) is not for everyone. Likewise, some people hated Spike Milligan's The Goon Show. Fortunately it inspired some very talented people to get involved in writing and acting comedy.

I thought I'd never say it but Family Guy is growing on me. I even like Stewie now. BUT I HATE the ridiculous over-repetition of a gag, like Griffin hurting his knee and saying Owww eight plus times. I can't even conceive of a person who'd find each repetition better than the previous.

They seem to throw one up in every episode. And it grates but I've been secretly turning over to Beeb3 around 10:30 but they chop the times around and then repeat some episodes with different accompanying episodes. Irritating. It's like they don't want me to like it.

Quote: Martin H @ April 29 2009, 5:23 PM BST

Oh absurdity can work no doubt about it, but it has to be used well.

That's absurd!

Quote: SlagA @ July 3 2009, 9:28 PM BST

I thought I'd never say it but Family Guy is growing on me. I even like Stewie now. BUT I HATE the ridiculous over-repetition of a gag, like Griffin hurting his knee and saying Owww eight plus times. I can't even conceive of a person who'd find each repetition better than the previous.

They seem to throw one up in every episode. And it grates but I've been secretly turning over to Beeb3 around 10:30 but they chop the times around and then repeat some episodes with different accompanying episodes. Irritating. It's like they don't want me to like it.

I remember feeling like that. It really is a funny show when you give it a chance. It's not Frasier, and I don't think it's trying to be.

Don't like either show one jot.

I love both of them although a lot of the american references go straight over my head. Fave joke? Peter's revenge on the pigeon who pooped on his car!

I still think Family Guy's the funniest American comedy on TV.

Quote: Chappers @ July 7 2009, 12:27 AM BST

I still think Family Guy's the funniest American comedy on TV.

I agree Chappers. Oh, congrats on the post!

Quote: SlagA @ July 3 2009, 9:28 PM BST

BUT I HATE the ridiculous over-repetition of a gag, like Griffin hurting his knee and saying Owww eight plus times. I can't even conceive of a person who'd find each repetition better than the previous.

They seem to throw one up in every episode.

Agreed on those bits. I think the 'over-repetitive gag' thing stems from an episode of The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob steps on a rake that hits him in the face and he then steps on another rake that hits him in the face and again and again and again, etc. If I recall correctly the reptitive gag was also used in The Simpsons Movie, with Ralph Wiggum (or some other character perhaps), repeatedly running around a sofa (or something like that). Not funny.

Hands up all those who think Stewie is really Rik Mayall? The voice, the choice of words, so Mayall. Or am I barking? Again?
:O