How far do you live from where you were born? Page 6

Mmmm. My child voluntarily totally stopped breastfeeding at about 18 months old. She'd never used a bottle. The benefits of breast feeding aren't just in the milk istelf. The action of suckling is different to using a bottle; it helps the baby's mouth development. Breast fed babies fed on demand seem to have better appetite control too and suffer less from obsesity in the future.

There are also benefits to the mother too; it lowers the risks of certain cancers and it produces feel good hormones (tell me about that bit!) and you get massive boobs for nothing! It's also free and there's no risk of infection from unsterilised bottles and equipment. And it's easier to go out and about with having to warm up bottles, etc. The nappies of breast fed babies (before they start solids) smell quite pleasant too. You can also breast feed lying down semi-asleep at night, rather than having to warm up and hold a bottle.

Breast milk also changes to suit the weather, etc, so there's no nmeed to feed babies water when it's hot. Overall it's just much easier.

Apparently my grandmother (who had 13 children), breat fed them as toddlers. She always had babies and so it made sense to feed the slightly older ones too.

I breast fed all 3 of my kids until they were a year old. The benefits are fantastic. It didn't prevent me from getting breast cancer, but I'm a statistical anomoly anyways. My husband worked with a woman who did it until her son was 6 and she's currently in jail because she admitted to her doctor (of all people) that it was a turn on. Eew!!!!!!!!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 11 2009, 4:52 PM BST

(who had 13 children)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

:D.

Catholics in my case.

Quote: DaButt @ July 11 2009, 4:58 PM BST

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thank you!!!!

I'm going to send it to all my homeschooling friends. :P

Quote: AndreaLynne @ July 11 2009, 4:57 PM BST

I breast fed all 3 of my kids until they were a year old. The benefits are fantastic. It didn't prevent me from getting breast cancer, but I'm a statistical anomoly anyways. My husband worked with a woman who did it until her son was 6 and she's currently in jail because she admitted to her doctor (of all people) that it was a turn on. Eew!!!!!!!!

That is...there are no words. Beyond disgusting. I hope she rots.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 11 2009, 4:59 PM BST

Catholics in my case.

My parents are Catholic, but for some reason they stopped having kids after my brother and I were born.

That is weird.

But also a bit weird that she went to jail.

I believe she got 8-12 years, with all the combined charges.

I'm certainly not briefing against it. Many of those points have some evidential credibility.

I don't like it being advice issued by dictat though. My ex-, having our twin girls, simply couldn't produce enough to feed them, that simple. This is not just the case with twins. Some women simply can't produce sufficient to sate their infant and have to supplement or convert to formula feeding. This is just a fact of life, which certain midwives and health workers should appreciate and not criticise or make the mother feel a failure for (and some do, in my experience).

Although there are some babies that feed better off the nipple, there are some that don't. Notably those with varying degrees of cleft lip or palate, as well as those with other dysmorphic syndromes (not so much Down's, but other chromosomal abnormalities, especially those affecting palatal and pharyngeal soft tissues).

And remember bad things as well as good can be passed on via concentration in the breast milk. Not just infections, but also medication the mother is taking. This is a more common problem in modern times are more feeding mothers are taking drugs than they used to. Some, especially long-term prescriptions, are absolutely or relatively contraindicated in breast-feeding, but the mother needs to take them for a chronic condition.

There is a balance to be struck with breast-feeding versus bottle/cup on a mother-to-mother basis.

My twin girls are now 10, were bottle fed, are slim, fit, healthy, with no chronic conditions and rarely a day sick. This in itself doesn't prove the benefits of the bottle either. The evidence on both sides is still far from convincing in an objective statistical way. (The history, unless there have been new studies of which I'm not aware, is very luke-warm on the idea that oxytocin significantly reduces incidence of cancer.) :)

Quote: DaButt @ July 11 2009, 5:01 PM BST

My parents are Catholic, but for some reason they stopped having kids after my brother and I were born.

Are they really reeeal?

Quote: AndreaLynne @ July 11 2009, 5:02 PM BST

I believe she got 8-12 years, with all the combined charges.

You do know of some lovely people, Andrea! :)

Quote: DaButt @ July 11 2009, 5:01 PM BST

Just like a really perty set of bookends!!!!

Quote: zooo @ July 11 2009, 5:02 PM BST

Are they really reeeal?

I think so, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that their parents are brother and sister.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 11 2009, 5:00 PM BST

That is...there are no words. Beyond disgusting. I hope she rots.

Well in the breast feeding books they say some women get a lot of pleasure breast feeding - maybe as nature's way of getting mothers to do it??? But 'turned on' is a weird thing to say... Anyway it's often pretty painful!