How far do you live from where you were born? Page 5

Quote: sootyj @ July 11 2009, 3:51 PM BST

Good spot Tim and that one's even better.
Perhaps that could be her marriage vows?

Laughing out loud

Quote: DaButt @ July 11 2009, 3:43 PM BST

Water births creep me out. We were meant to birth our babies lying on our backs in the grass, not submerged in a Jacuzzi.

On all fours actually.

Quote: sootyj @ July 11 2009, 3:37 PM BST

There's some fascinating stuff about our culture and breast feeding, like those mums who breastfeed up till 10 or so. It seems to be one of those things people get a little screwy about.

Don't get me started!

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 11 2009, 3:54 PM BST

Don't get me started!

Lactating?

Not any more.

Not now they've reached 15!
:)
Does 'don't get me started' mean you think people should carry on till the kids are older?

Quote: zooo @ July 11 2009, 4:00 PM BST

Not now they've reached 15!
:)
Does 'don't get me started' mean you think people should carry on till the kids are older?

:D No. Just there's a really weird attitude to breast feeding in our society and sadly few people even try it, more give up early and anyone having problems isn't given any proper help by health care system. And yet it significantly helps a child's immune system.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 11 2009, 4:03 PM BST

:D No. Just there's a really weird attitude to breast feeding in our society and sadly few people even try it, more give up early and anyone having problems isn't given any proper help by health care system. And yet it significantly helps a child's immune system.

But once the child has a mouthful of teeth and can open the refrigerator door it's time to put the boobies away.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 11 2009, 4:03 PM BST

:D No. Just there's a really weird attitude to breast feeding in our society and sadly few people even try it

I tried it. Very warm and sweet it is too. :)

Quote: DaButt @ July 11 2009, 4:10 PM BST

But once the child has a mouthful of teeth and can open the refrigerator door it's time to put the boobies away.

Why?

That would be about 12 months, right?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 11 2009, 4:14 PM BST

I tried it. Very warm and sweet it is too. :)

It's apparently why vanilla is such a popular flavour.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ July 11 2009, 4:16 PM BST

It's apparently why vanilla is such a popular flavour.

Ha!
Yikes.

In all seriousness, breast-feeding probably only really has any (scientifically uncertain) immunological or nutritional benefits in the first few months of life.

Weaning from the breast, to cessation, should be carried out not only once dentition develops (as firmer food helps to develop healthy teeth and gums, as well as mature the GI tract and hepatic system), but also as a developmental necessity. Between the age of 2 and 4 years, children start to develop (literally) their first steps to personal independence. The phases such as increasing physical distance between themselves and their mother (whilst making sure she is nearby). Roaming behaviour is just one part of normal developmental milestones. Cessation of breast feeding is another.

For one's children, I frankly don't see it any positive emotional, physical or physiological benefit in breast-feeding past these early years. I would have to question the motives of those mothers who breast-feed their children beyond this age. Who's getting more out of the experience? (Emotionally, I'm not implying any physical dependence on the part of the mother.)

Some mums just love a bit of nipple action.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 11 2009, 4:24 PM BST

I would have to question the motives of those mothers who breast feed their children beyond this age.

Once you get to kids who are 4 or 5 years old you're bordering on mental illness territory.

I'm other side of the country far. My mother on the other hand is the other side of the world far!

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ July 11 2009, 4:29 PM BST

I'm other side of the country far.

That's what, 50 miles? ;)