Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 14

I liked it, but I can see what people are saying.

I don't think he is repetitive, because every time he repeats things he adds something. Sometimes in a negative sense. Sometimes with a smirk or anti-smirk. So it isn't a straight repeat.

Anyway, why I came on was I wanted to say I loved the sketch with the giant Del Boy, and Kevin Eldon being a dense farmer. That was superb. Sometimes the sketches work very well. And I kind of liked the Del Boy routine as a whole, because I took the target as being polls that tell us what our favourite things are, rather than Del Boy. I wouldn't be suprised if Stewart Lee secretly likes the bit where Del Boy falls through the bar, and Trigger pulls a face (and, crucially cut short from Lee's version, Del gets up again and tells Trigger they have to leave).

I think it was more about the lack of intelligence that it takes to understand such basic slapstick. I can in no way see Stewart Lee denying slapstick it's place in comedy, but the fact remains that even a one year old child guffaws at a man falling over.

But where do we want to place the funniest thing ever... the most basic physical comedy delivered well? Or something that is well thought out, multi faceted, genre transcending, irreverent, questioning, revolutionary, brilliant, upsettingly frank, and awesomely original?

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ March 24 2009, 2:06 AM GMT

I think it was more about the lack of intelligence that it takes to understand such basic slapstick. I can in no way see Stewart Lee denying slapstick it's place in comedy, but the fact remains that even a one year old child guffaws at a man falling over.

But where do we want to place the funniest thing ever... the most basic physical comedy delivered well? Or something that is well thought out, multi faceted, genre transcending, irreverent, questioning, revolutionary, brilliant, upsettingly frank, and awesomely original?

Or maybe the question was: why are we asking what is the funniest thing ever?

no

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ March 24 2009, 2:15 AM GMT

no

Really?
Isn't the idea of someone hanging off the edge of an "art deco" set a bit slapsticky?

Quote: Badge @ March 24 2009, 1:41 AM GMT

I don't think he is repetitive, because every time he repeats things he adds something. Sometimes in a negative sense. Sometimes with a smirk or anti-smirk. So it isn't a straight repeat.

Eh?

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ March 24 2009, 2:06 AM GMT

The thing which makes us laugh most and leaves us most satisfied afterwards.

(Oo er.)

Not as strong as the first episode, but still very good. The Del Boy bit was great, though it's exactly the type of bit that his detractors would dislike. I like the sketches too, the Ant And Dec one and the Del Boy Festival were both really good.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 23 2009, 11:31 PM GMT

Just watched it. I think the problem is he's not actually funny.

Er, yeah . . . Ok . . .

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ March 23 2009, 10:57 PM GMT

Some of his targets were weak - Adrian Chiles, Ant and Dec, Andrew Lloyd Webber -

Can't say I had any problem with the targets. Personally I've never heard any jokes about Chiles.

Quote: Stuart Doherty @ March 24 2009, 1:08 AM GMT

There were so many recycled jokes from his stand up in the first ten minutes. Quite disapointed about that.

Well, why wouldn't he use it? Every comic in the universe recycles material, especially if it's being delivered in a different medium.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ March 23 2009, 11:28 PM GMT

I miss the Hobby King.

Drink your weak lemony drink now. :)

Quote: Stan Doubt @ March 23 2009, 9:21 PM GMT

People love this on the board, yet it got poor viewing figures. People hate Horne and Corden, but it gets great viewing figures.

'Horne and Corden' gets great viewing figures - relatively. It's still under a million, which isn't a lot, is it. Whereas a million viewers for an act like Stewart Lee is actually pretty decent, given that he hasn't got the blanket media coverage that Horne/Corden have.

Last night's show was fantastic, the lines near the start about his grandfather were hilarious. I'd seen the Del Boy stuff before but it was of course augmented last night by the brilliant WickerManesque sketch, with the amazing Kevin Eldon performing another outstanding turn.

And, yes, there will be people who think he's a smart-arse, but so what? Haven't we got enough thick f**king bastards on telly to last us a life time? Enough lowest common denominator arse? I think we have.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 24 2009, 9:49 AM GMT

Haven't we got enough thick f**king bastards on telly to last us a life time?

Yeah, but some of those are dying off. Whistling nnocently

As for the show, great stuff again. Angry but with a point. What the BBC should be producing more of.

Quote: chipolata @ March 24 2009, 9:52 AM GMT

Yeah, but some of those are dying off. Whistling nnocently

I got it! :)

There were swings and roundabouts concerning last night's episode for me. The show did grab my attention from the beginning, but that is mainly because I'm a big Joy Division fan. I wonder if Deborah Curtis watched the episode?

I do think that his take on the five main channels was a bit generalising. Yes, they are bad bits on all of them, but then again there are good bits on all of them. Also, how come he only attacked one digital channel? Why did he not attack Sky or some other networks?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 24 2009, 9:55 AM GMT

Why did he not attack Sky or some other networks?

I suppose he was attacking the channels that most of us watch, that get the most viewers.

My only complaint about last night's show was that TV in itself is a bit of an easy target, and something Charlie brooker has already done to brilliant effect. That said, everything he said was valid. And funny.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 24 2009, 9:56 AM GMT

I suppose he was attacking the channels that most of us watch, that get the most viewers.

Probably.

I do have to say I agreed with him on the Del Boy front. I've never through that clip of Del Boy falling was the funniest thing ever. Concerning Only Fools and Horses, the best visual gag for me was the chandelier.