The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 14

The IT Crowd is a weird comedy for me. Weird because the first time I was forced to pay attention to it was when I was sitting in a table full of Americans who were discussing comedy and slagging off British comedies. I didn't start an argument on the matter because these were kind people hosting me for free and especially since I hadn't seen IT Crowd at that point, I couldn't defend it when my friend called it "one of the least funny things" she'd ever seen.

So then later I watched it, the first two episodes, I think and couldn't get into it at all. And so I filed it under "British comedies I just don't understand" (like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Little Britain) and went about my business.

Later on, a British online friend said that he too hadn't been into it at all at first, but then had randomly come upon a series two episode and laughed out loud on several occasions. So I skipped most of series 1, and watched series 2 and loved it so much I literally watched all the episodes in a few days' time.

I loved the latest episode. While the show is not the best thing I've ever known, I have to say I'm glad I finally understand its style and can appreciate it. It's definitely among the best on-going comedies right now.

Quote: sanniberry @ November 29 2008, 4:04 PM GMT

So then later I watched it, the first two episodes, I think and couldn't get into it at all. And so I filed it under "British comedies I just don't understand" (like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Little Britain) and went about my business.

I think you mean "The League of Gentlemen".

I loved last night's episode. I guess Jen's story line was a bit random and the boss guy wasn't in it at all but I thought that the main story line was so strong that there wasn't really any need for anything else. I can see what some people say about them not being in the office enough but I think it just goes to show that there is a lot of mileage to be had out of these characters. You could just have every episode set in the office but I find it more interesting to have them in lots of different situations.

Man I can't wait to get my hands on the new episodes. I hope they get uploaded to a site soon.

Quote: Curt @ November 29 2008, 8:36 PM GMT

Man I can't wait to get my hands on the new episodes. I hope they get uploaded to a site soon.

:)

I really loved Friday's episode, too.

And I think that Jen's storyline was sufficiently tied to the rest of the show, because it was the boys who initiated it. And I thought the magician thing was a brilliant idea, very simple but effective.

I didn't really see the point in Jen's little sub-plot because it was just weird and not very funny, but the Moss and Roy thing was very good indeed.

I'm another one who didn't get The IT Crowd at first, but ended up going back to it again recently because I absolutely adore Father Ted. Now I loove it!
I then ended up watching the whole 1st and 2nd series almost back to back - just in time for the start of this new one.
I thought the latest episode was brilliant! When it was funny, it was hysterical! The bit with the police cars was classic!

I thought the plot for this episode was brilliant. A bit like last week's and indeed the second series in that it got funnier as it went by. I wouldn't call it the best episode ever, that is still the work outing epiosode for me. The Jen sub plot wasn't terrific, but Graham had to involve Jen in the episode somehow. I missed Matt Berry though. Look forward to episode three.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 29 2008, 4:54 PM GMT

I think you mean "The League of Gentlemen".

Yes, I do, thanks for the correction. Add "extraordinary" and I'd be talking about a comic book, I just realized.

I hope future episodes include more Matt Berry. His character was one of the things that sold me on the show when I gave it another go, starting from S2.

Brilliant! ... Brilliant!! ... BRILLIANT!!!!

This is what telly is all about in my book. Loved the 2nd episode, but have to say, they seem to have shaved a couple of minutes off the episodes in this new series, hmm?

.. will Richmond be making an appearance soon?

Cal :)

Interesting comments about Friday's episode. There were some fantastic moments in the episode but I thought last week's was stronger. Maybe because I'm a football fan I've seen the thug-cliché done too many times, and I thought the magician storyline was a little bit crow-barred in. Still the best comedy on at the moment.

I enjoyed the second episode more, but neither have yet come close to the first episode from series 2, where Roy pretends to be 'leg' disabled.

Howdy all. Wave

Great episode! I just love Linehan when he's on.

And Moss counting everything, and in 7's no less... that's a brilliant character detail that just cracked me up. That and "I just went to the toilet" - and the look on Roy's face as he's describing the robbers coming to his car to the police. Side-splitting stuff!!! I also like Roy's throwaway line at the end after the credits "who closed the doors", haha, I was thinking that myself (since they were all still in the car)

This series is looking great, can't wait for more. :D

Great Roy and Moss episode, but I agree Jens bit, although funny, felt grafted on; it should have been brought more into the main story somehow. And no Berry!

Quote: Elfman @ December 3 2008, 8:18 AM GMT

I also like Roy's throwaway line at the end after the credits "who closed the doors", haha, I was thinking that myself (since they were all still in the car)

Loved that too!

The last episode was by far the best I've seen of what is, in truth, a mediocre sitcom.

Probably going against the grain on this forum but The IT Crowd is hugely overrated.