The IT Crowd 3.0 Page 10

Quote: Timbo @ November 24 2008, 1:13 PM GMT

Film gags are a bit indulgent (e.g. Spaced). Beer can be quite technical, but most of the jokes are about falling over rather than hop varieties or specific gravities.

True, perhaps. But as a non-drinker, I may be in the minority, but it's still nothing I can relate to in the slightest. The point of IT gags in The IT Crowd is that that's where it's set. Remove the literary references from Black Books, or the historical quips from Blackadder. Fawlty Towers is essentially about a man who's uptight and tries to control things, but is overuled by his wife. But if you take out the references to guest behaviour and other workings of a small hotel, then the show is nothing.

The point isn't to lay down every other line with a reference to bootstrapping, internal buses or graphics card functionality. It's just the odd quip, not necessarily any more than 2 or 3 per episode, to reinstate that bit of grounding to their situation. The kind of thing which will at least make sense to non-IT types, even if they don't fully appreciate it. Moss's "Memory is RAM!" line, as noted earlier, has a bit of extra punch for us geeks, but people who don't understand that still get the point of Moss's frustration at someone using two terms for the same thing.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 24 2008, 1:30 PM GMT

Father Ted is clearly completely underwritten by references to the workings of the Catholic church, Saints days, Ecclesiastical protocols etc.. This is used as a trade off against the silliness - which is the principal point I am making about the IT crowd. So your sarcasm is misplaced.

Prezunctly.

I only found this first episode okay towards good, I'm afraid. Maybe my expectations are too high. But then, why shouldn't they be, given the great first couple of series. Think I found it a little unfocussed. Oh well.

Only really found the first of the new Screenwipe okay as well. Perhaps its me. Perhaps I'm a spoilt bastard.

I shall have to pull my finger out and find things that are actually good, good again.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 24 2008, 12:53 PM GMT

He clearly has no idea how a company/IT department functions and can't be bothered (or doesn't think it's important) to find out how it does.

I don't think it's important. It's not a serious drama you know!

Quote: Moonstone @ November 22 2008, 2:20 PM GMT

And Jen is sexy.

:D She looks sexier than ever in this series I think - maybe her hair looks different?

Roy's hair was very different too! Or something about him was.

I need to find this series and last series pictures to compare and contrast.

Quote: zooo @ November 24 2008, 10:07 PM GMT

Roy's hair was very different too! Or something about him was.

I need to find this series and last series pictures to compare and contrast.

He looked thinner and studlier.

Aw. Somone's developing a man crush.

Quote: zooo @ November 24 2008, 10:42 PM GMT

Aw. Somone's developing a man crush.

I wouldn't go that far! Just he looked thinner, closer cropped hair, stubble; so a bit less gawky.

Stubble is LESS gawky? :/

Ha.
I've just realised I hear all Stott's posts in his accent now I've heard it.
(Well actually it's morphed slightly into Jeremy Dyson's... :/ But, same difference.) ;)

You've heard Stott's accent? I imagine him speaking with a bored Bristol twang.

Hey Godot, you coming to the meet on Saturday? Even by surprise?

The IT Crowd collects International Emmy for best comedy! Bravo, congratumalations, etc. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7747319.stm

Quote: Aaron @ November 24 2008, 10:45 PM GMT

Stubble is LESS gawky? :/

Yes, it's more studly and manly at least. Just look at George Michael. That bit might be a 'joke'. You hate facial hair anyway so you will no doubt disagree!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 24 2008, 11:14 PM GMT

You've heard Stott's accent? I imagine him speaking with a bored Bristol twang.

Well, I'm not from Bristol; so if I do then something weirds going on.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 25 2008, 8:59 AM GMT

Yes, it's more studly and manly at least. Just look at George Michael. That bit might be a 'joke'. You hate facial hair anyway so you will no doubt disagree!

It just makes you look like a tramp.