Lost Gems Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ November 17, 2006, 4:04 PM

I've never actually seen Operation Good Guys. Worth buying?

It's fantastic in the style of the office (also made long before the office) and IMHO funnier.

I've a few episodes but only on VHS.....Any news
Barry

I always thought Operation Good Guys deserved more credit that it seemed to get. Or maybe it did get the credit, I don't know, but I'd mention it to people and they wouldn't know what I was on about.

I suppose I can be too cutting edge sometimes, thats my problem.

I agree with Barry though, it's worth a purchase.

Op Good Guys was brilliant and the true link in the family tree of fly-on-the-wall style sitcoms rather than the oft-vaunted Office. Plus it was better. I thought it trailed off at the end and was glad it ended when it did. I'll have to get the DVD.

You're right GJ, it didn't get the profile it should've had. Perhaps coz the actors weren't rockstar young things.

I loved the training course one where it turned "Southern Comfort"

HOW DO YOU WANT ME with dylan moran I really liked when it was on, I dont think that got a lot of attention, though did run for two series.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ November 17, 2006, 6:08 PM

It's fantastic in the style of the office (also made long before the office) and IMHO funnier.

I've a few episodes but only on VHS.....Any news
Barry

Hmm, ok. Well, if it's like The Office, then I think I'll have to "borrow" before buying. Thanks. :)

Don’t let the fact you don’t like the Office put you off Operation Good Guys, it always annoyed me when the fly-on-the-wall style of the Office is described as original OGG got there first, it doesn’t try to be as clever as the Office and has far more laugh out loud moments.

My funniest moment was when Mark and Bone went for a naked stroll down the Spanish beach Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Barry

Yeah the only comparison to the office is that it's a fly on the wall documentry, but it's not as "realistic" as the office. The police are totally inept. Remember when the 2 armed response guys are staking out some house, and they end up stripping the house their in bare, right down to the copper pipes and everything. Laughing out loud

Hmmm, ok... Well, I'll see what I can find. :)

Happy Families featuring Jennifer Saunders and Ade Edmundson, which only ran for one series during the mid-80s.

I remember Happy Families but don't think I liked it that much.

Anybody remember World of Pub? Was a BBC2 Sunday night show and starred Phil Cornwell, Kevin Eldon and Peter Serafinowicz. Don't think I saw the whole lot but remember finding it pretty good.

'Paris', with Alexei Sayle. It only lasted one series, but i loved it. It spawned the great insult: "twatty bollocks". I think James Dreyfus was also in it - Neil Morrissey too, now that I remember.

I also liked, 'Nightingales'. You'd think Channel 4 would find an hour to show them - even on More 4, E4 or any other sodding '4' they might have.

The Baldy Man is a forgotten gem, why is that not on DVD.

Quote: Jass @ November 18, 2006, 1:42 PM

Happy Families featuring Jennifer Saunders and Ade Edmundson, which only ran for one series during the mid-80s.

Some very funny stuff there, but not quite a classic for me, especially considering what else they've been in!

I didn't say it was a classic. The person who started this said, "Anybody know of any obscure sitcoms that came and went without anybody noticing, but were actually pretty good."

Happy Families deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

Happy Families was genuinely pants for me. Maybe the fact that none of the well-known creators and performers seem to talk it about now also suggests that it was ropey for them as well? But I haven't seen it since first transmission. Has it improved with age?

Hot Metal gets my vote. Loved it.