Lost Gems Page 6

There is a very obscure British sitcom that I really liked. It was called: LAME DUCKS, and was made about 1984.

Quote: john burnel @ December 29, 2007, 3:43 AM

There is a very obscure British sitcom that I really liked. It was called: LAME DUCKS, and was made about 1984.

It rings a bell. And welcome JJ - you haven't strangled anyone lately have you?

Bring back All About Me.

Hi Dave!
I am afraid i am not THE Jean Jacques Burnel.Thank you for the compliment though.

Quote: Jay72 @ November 16, 2006, 9:50 AM

I don't know if it was that obscure, but I really liked Mrs Merton and Malcolm. It ran for one series, nobody I know watched it, and I think the reviews weren't very good. Tree-mendous!!!

That was brilliant, and so dark.

Quote: Jay72 @ November 18, 2006, 8:25 PM

I remember Happy Families but don't think I liked it that much.

Anybody remember World of Pub? Was a BBC2 Sunday night show and starred Phil Cornwell, Kevin Eldon and Peter Serafinowicz. Don't think I saw the whole lot but remember finding it pretty good.

That too was really funny. The pub having a different name each week, then burning down. I think I've got all the episodes somewhere.

Written by Tony Roche who now works on The Thick of It - vastly contrasting shows there.

Quote: Daniel O'Rourke @ November 18, 2006, 9:50 PM

The Baldy Man is a forgotten gem, why is that not on DVD.

God, that was so poor. I remember as a kid hating it. It's an even worse Mr. Bean.

Quote: Jack Massey @ September 11, 2007, 8:05 PM

Top 20
4. Barbara (Gwen Taylor stars as Barbara, an unreasonable wife)

5. Curry & Chips (A Johnny Speight series starring Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes)

17. The Fitz (One series made about an Irish family)

Barbara - awful, so so awful. Typical ITV, though Gwen Taylor was quite good in it. Made the best of a usually terrible script.

Curry & Chips - just racist bilge. I can't stand Spike Milligan either. Witless rambling whimsy. Boring stuff.

Fitz - Terrible and a ratings disaster I seem to remember.

Quote: chipolata @ September 21, 2007, 10:33 AM

A few more recent nominations. Andy Hamilton's Bedtime which went out in a similar way to Outnumbered and, in my opinion, was far better. I saw both series of Bedtime on sale in HMV recently (but, bizarrely, in the drama section).

Also worth mentioning is Human Remains, starring Rob Brydon and Julia Davies. This was an amazing series, probably one of the darkest shows there's ever been, and it's a shame they never got a second series.

Look Around You was also a minor classic - both the ten minute shows and the thirty minute shows - but never seemed to connect with a wider audience.

Finally, The Amando Iannucci Show was great, but only lasted a miserly eight episodes (although I'd guess it was hugely expensive to make if some of the elaborate sketches in it were anything to go by).

Trevor's World of Sport was good - also from Hamilton.

Human Remains is something I've been thinking of buying on DVD for aggggggges.

Armando Iannucci - 8 half hours of utter brilliance. The man's a genius, for me and it's one of the most wonderful and inventive series ever made I think.

Quote: Jay72 @ September 21, 2007, 5:20 PM

Try as I might, Look Around You (the 30 mins version) just didn't hit the spot for me. Some great moments on there but always felt to me it was bordering on brilliance but didn't quite make it. A bit of a lost opportunity. :(

I thought the second series wasn't very good, not a patch of the brilliance of the first.

Quote: Jay72 @ September 28, 2007, 6:08 PM

I'm assuming it was 'I Lovett', which was on in the late 80's. I think he played an inventor or something similar. Sadly, I never saw it, nobody else I know saw it, and it has never been repeated, so what it was actually like, I have absolutely no idea. ?

Always looked a bit that program. Lovett was ace in Dwarf though, masterful timing and delivery.

Phew . . . That's a lot of catching (aka waiting for the missus to stop watching Midsomer Murders)

My personal nomination is Lookwell:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dBQ3HbB0c8Y

A US pilot written by Conan O'Brien, but the show never got picked up. It's really worth watching. ANd it's got Adam West in it.

Quote: Seefacts @ January 4, 2008, 4:56 PM

That too was really funny. The pub having a different name each week, then burning down. I think I've got all the episodes somewhere.

It's been out on DVD since June.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3357796/World-Of-Pub/Product.html]

Quote: Aaron @ January 4, 2008, 8:18 PM

It's been out on DVD since June.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3357796/World-Of-Pub/Product.html]

Ahh - thanks!

That will be getting bought at some point.

Quote: john burnel @ January 4, 2008, 10:24 AM

Hi Dave!
I am afraid i am not THE Jean Jacques Burnel.Thank you for the compliment though.

Really? I was convinced you were him.

Police Squad starring Leslie Nielsen. Not particularly a lost gem but haven't seen it in years.

I will have to get it on DVD asap. Loved the shoe shine guy who was a fountain of knowledge.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ January 4, 2008, 10:02 PM

Police Squad starring Leslie Nielsen. Not particularly a lost gem but haven't seen it in years.

I will have to get it on DVD asap. Loved the shoe shine guy who was a fountain of knowledge.

And the key cutter. Millions stuck in the ceiling.

Not sure if it's ever been mentioned on this board but I really used to like Game On, especially the first series starring Ben Chapman.

Not sure if it's ever been mentioned on this board but my Nan taught Matthew Cottle.

True story.

I agree with Mrs Merton and Malcom, whether they meant to or not the dark subtext of the comedy gave it a great edge.

One lost 'gem' that springs to mind is 'Home James' starring Jim Davidson as chauffeur Jim London, and also featured Sherrie Hewson and George Sewell - i'd forgotten that it was a spin-off from 'Up the Elephant...' - it seemed funny at the time, but that was 20 years ago!

I'd quite like to see that one, after finding myself strangely enjoying Up The Elephant And Round The Castle.

And welcome to the site. :)