Sitcoms that ended on a high

As I wrote my top 5 I realised quite a few shows dipped in quality slightly.

So the question I put to you: Which sitcoms ended on a high? Doesn't matter if they started slowly - it's a marathon not a sprint.

Which sitcoms ended essentially at their best. (Ideally through the writer's choice, rather than getting axed unfairly, though feel free to pop those in the list.

- The Office.
- Spaced.
- Seinfeld.
- Phoenix Nights.

I'll get in here first and say that neither Fawlty Towers nor Blackadder outstayed their welcome.

Although I suppose some would mention Back and Forth. Which was alright, IMO, but not excellent. So I'll just restrict it to the series proper.

Quote: Aaron @ October 8 2008, 9:08 PM BST

I'll get in here first and say that neither Fawlty Towers nor Blackadder outstayed their welcome.

Although I suppose some would mention Back and Forth. Which was alright, IMO, but not excellent. So I'll just restrict it to the series proper.

Fawlty Towers, yes.

Blackadder . . . I can't ignore Back & Forth.

Hancock's Half Hour
Porridge
Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads?
Father Ted
dinnerladies

It Takes A Worried Man (I suspect it ended because it did not get recommissioned, but even so...)

I liked both series of I'm Alan Partridge.

I'll defiently agree with Porridge and Spaced. Adding....

Thin Blue Line
Help (From the one series it did have)

Help! Yes! Flipping excellent suggestion.

On which note, Bromwell High.

So when does 'on a high' actually mean 'before its time', I wonder?

There are many shows, IMHO, which could have given us a good few more laughs. I'm particularly annoyed at Fawlty Towers, Green Wing and Black Books for stopping where they did. I'm sure I can't be alone in this.

It seems to me that we have some truly dire programme planners who can allow some sitcoms to go on for series after series past their sell by date and, at the same time, allow some real gems to slip through their fingers. I'm aware that taste is subjective but I can't help feeling that mine must be way off the norm if these decsions were truly taken on anything remotely like popularity with audiences.

Quote: Aaron @ October 8 2008, 9:34 PM BST

Help! Yes! Flipping excellent suggestion.

On which note, Bromwell High.

Both good calls. (Reminder to self to get Bromwell High DVD)

Quote: Charlton King @ October 8 2008, 9:39 PM BST

There are many shows, IMHO, which could have given us a good few more laughs. I'm particularly annoyed at Fawlty Towers, Green Wing and Black Books for stopping where they did. I'm sure I can't be alone in this.

In those cases the writers decided to call a day. What you don't want is a series being recommissioned with different writers, the inglorious fate of once excellent shows such as Shelley or The Brittas Empire. Or even Red Dwarf, where one writer jacked it in and the other decided to continue.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 9:05 PM BST

- The Office.
- Spaced.
- Seinfeld.
- Phoenix Nights.

Yep.

Quote: dingo @ October 8 2008, 9:21 PM BST

Yep 2.

Quote: Timbo @ October 8 2008, 9:15 PM BST

[i]
Father Ted

Yep yep yep.

Quote: Charlton King @ October 8 2008, 9:39 PM BST

Black Books

Yep indeedy.

That makes the presumption that a dramatic creation can never be greater than its originator.

I disagree. It's not necessarily the case that a writer with sufficient savvy and sensitivity would invariably find it impossible to take over the reins from the original author. I find this thesis untenable. Indeed, I might as easily propose that certain writers could actually have IMPROVED certain sitcoms which they themselves did not pen originally.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ October 8 2008, 9:50 PM BST

That makes the presumption that a dramatic creation can never be greater than its originator.

I disagree. It's not necessarily the case that a writer with sufficient savvy and sensitivity would invariably find it impossible to take over the reins from the original author. I find this thesis untenable. Indeed, I might as easily propose that certain writers could actually have IMPROVED certain sitcoms which they themselves did not pen originally.

What the f**k?! :D What you going on about? This thread is just about stating series that you think ended on a high, or without going downhill.

Edit:

Ah, just read what you were replying to. Could state you case in plainer language though!

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ October 8 2008, 9:50 PM BST

I find this thesis untenable.

:D I'm going to try and slip that into casual conversation tommorrow.

Quote: dingo @ October 8 2008, 9:21 PM BST

Second wasn't great, for me. Soured the first one slightly.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 8 2008, 9:50 PM BST

Yep indeedy.

Black Books?! God, that just got worse. First series - awesome, second - very good, third really disappointing. I'm glad that didn't come back in retrospect.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 9:54 PM BST

Second wasn't great, for me. Soured the first one slightly.

Loved the second; though I know some didn't; which I find weird! It was slightly broader, but just as good as far as I'm concerned.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 9:55 PM BST

Black Books?! God, that just got worse. First series - awesome, second - very good, third really disappointing. I'm glad that didn't come back in retrospect.

Pah! I'm a big Linehan fan; but I love it just as much throughout all three series. One of the best Brit-coms of the last ten years. I'm now going to slap myself for using the term 'brit-com'.

Yeah, because there's no hyphen in "Britcom". Naughty Matthew.