Sitcoms that ended on a high Page 8

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 27 2008, 12:32 AM GMT

I think you've completely missed my point.

Just... nevermind.

What Seefacts said seemed very much to take your point into account. You say AD failed because there's too many idiots in America who like stuff like Friends and not 'smarter, better' shows; but tons of people tuned into shows like 'Seinfeld'. AD is one of my favourite shows, but for some reason it didn't connect with a wide enough audience. There's plenty of 'stupid' or 'crappy' shows that equally fail to connect with a wider audience, it's just one of those things.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 27 2008, 12:12 AM GMT

To quote Niles Crane (Frasier) "Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity."

So, if you agree with that, Frasier itself was mediocre? Because that was a bloody popular show!

The word is COCKMUNCHING, ok?

And to Arseron; is there any chance you could leave home? Mummy can't wipe yer bum forever. xx

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: gashparty @ November 27 2008, 12:18 PM GMT

The word is COCKMUNCHING , ok?

and to Arseron , is there any chance you could leave home ? mummy cant wipe yer bum forever xx

What's with all the childish hostility? I know this is the internet and everything, but still . . .

Quote: gashparty @ November 27 2008, 12:18 PM GMT

The word is COCKMUNCHING , ok?

and to Arseron , is there any chance you could leave home ? mummy cant wipe yer bum forever xx

Bye.

Quote: Timbo @ November 27 2008, 12:26 PM GMT

Bye.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Seefacts @ November 27 2008, 12:18 AM GMT

Friends essentially ran at the same time as Simpsons, Fraiser and Seinfeld - three of the best sitcoms ever. And it arguably came out on top. That's the hallmark of quality.

If the US audience are so stupid how can a show like Curb be so huge? Or the US Office?

Everyone knows US audiences are stupid. (Sorry DaButt etc.)

Quote: cylon6 @ November 27 2008, 1:35 AM GMT

I've finally found someone that agrees with me. Cheers was a rare show that ended up much funnier than it was when it began and was consistently good through its entire run. Frasier was great for its first 5 series, awful in its 6th series, had a partial return to form in its 7th series, was average in it's 8th, 9th & 10th series and returned to its former glory in its final series.

Cheers as I've said before is one of the few US sitcoms I've really enjoyed.

PS - blimey this is getting heavy!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 27 2008, 11:18 AM GMT

So, if you agree with that, Frasier itself was mediocre? Because that was a bloody popular show!

One thing I always found interesting was the fact that the Simpsons was so popular despite being intelligent. Sure, sometimes good things become amazingly huge in popularity, but it seems incredibly rare these days. That's what I like about the Simpsons though; it unites so many regardless of intelligence, sub-cultural affiliations, age, background, etc. I found it rather interesting to see in effect what I call "the Simpsons filter" when the movie was released. Watching it with an audience explained so much.
100% of the Audience laughed at 40% of the jokes
60% at about 60%
Then just a handful of people at quite a few, and there were two joke that only I and some guy sitting a row back a few seats down laughed at.

It is possible to merge popular silliness with intelligent and abstract observations to provide something that almost everyone will like, and I really enjoyed seeing it at work in the cinema.

I think Frasier worked for two reasons:
1. Because of the Father: down to earth, regular Joe who rolls his eyes at every esoteric pun and allusion his sons make. Someone the majority of the home audience can relate to some degree.
2. On a far less charitable note, I think it made idiots feel vindicated seeing two intelligent people constantly screwing up. (or it at least made up for all the things that went over everyone's heads)

"Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity" doesn't mean that EVERYTHING popular is crap, just that popularity is a rather adequate warning sign given that a majority of the world is a tad on the simple side.

Quote: David Chapman @ November 27 2008, 7:48 PM GMT

PS - blimey this is getting heavy!

Sorry, I didn't want it to, but I refuse to stand by and be told I'm wrong because I disagree with the majority.

If the majority were always right we would never have bad leaders.

Extremely well said!

Quote: Timbo @ November 27 2008, 12:26 PM GMT

Bye.

You really are behaving like a silly kid.

I am not the only one that thinks so ,am I ? .

Why make peurile commenys ? sexist? are you trying to encourage posting oon here ? or just drive away ,or edit the people and things you dont like? .

Please do us all a favour and grow up . <3

I have been guilty of it myself in the past but this thread does seem to have elements of snobbish behaviour running through it.

I think that Friends was very funny and although it was not as high brow as Fraiser, another brilliantly funny show, it does not mean it was for idiots.

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 28 2008, 1:49 AM GMT

Sorry, I didn't want it to, but I refuse to stand by and be told I'm wrong because I disagree with the majority.

If the majority were always right we would never have bad leaders.

And if the minority were always right leaders would always be whack jobs.

You can't call the majority stupid then stand back and, when they attack you, say "well, you would say that - you're the majority"

I watched the Simpsons last night. No idea what series it was - but I was creasing up laughing several times.

Swerving the current theme a bit I know, but The Young Ones ended on a high...with possibly one of the most daring endings to a series I've ever seen...

For those saying that "Porridge" ended on a high, I take it we don't include "Going Straight"?
It wasn't terrible but somewhat of a let down . . .

I hope this thread ends on a high.

Quote: Pete @ November 28 2008, 10:03 AM GMT

And if the minority were always right leaders would always be whack jobs.

That doesn't work.

That doesn't work at all.

Quote: Pete @ November 28 2008, 10:03 AM GMT

You can't call the majority stupid then stand back and, when they attack you, say "well, you would say that - you're the majority"

Why not? It stands to reason. ;)