Sitcoms that ended on a high Page 6

Don't forget Friends appealed to the lowest common denominator. And I'm not a snob or anything but......

Quote: zooo @ November 26 2008, 12:43 AM GMT

Rolling eyes

Grandad's off again...

Laughing out loud

Quote: David Chapman @ November 26 2008, 12:45 AM GMT

Don't forget Friends appealed to the lowest common denominator.

What does that even mean? Millions watched it all over the world....I'd say there is no "typical" Friends fan...in fact, it's appeal was it's universal appeal.

I loved it and now my 8 year old loves it on re-runs (and is getting the 10 DVDs for Christmas).

Quote: Pete @ November 26 2008, 12:51 AM GMT

What does that even mean? Millions watched it all over the world....I'd say there is no "typical" Friends fan...in fact, it's appeal was it's universal appeal.

I loved it and now my 8 year old loves it on re-runs (and is getting the 10 DVDs for Christmas).

I think I'll report you to social services. You don't live in Haringey do you?

Quote: David Chapman @ November 26 2008, 1:00 AM GMT

I think I'll report you to social services. You don't live in Haringey do you?

No, but if I told my son I was selling the TVR and getting a SAAB he'd probably ask to be fostered there.

Quote: zooo @ November 26 2008, 12:43 AM GMT

Rolling eyes

Grandad's off again...

Listen young wipper snapper...

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 26 2008, 12:38 AM GMT

It depends on what you mean by "impact". Popular it may have been, having been broadcast in a time of superior global distribution, it may have higher ratings in world with more televisions in a planet that has more than doubled its population since the broadcast of Fawlty Towers but I don't think popularity is the game here. We're talking quality. Alright, so perhaps the majority of the world disagree with me, but then the same number of people think the Spice Girls were a better band than Killing Joke, so the opinion of the majority hold little credibility for me.

The fact that Arrested Development got cancelled just past half way through the third season while Friends endured is a testament to the poor taste of the ‘powers that be'.

So, if it's all the same, I might just reserve my right to not pay Friends any kudos whatsoever. They may have generated the odd laugh here or there, but so many shows got more laughs out of one episode than Friends did in over a hundred.

Which had better jokes Friends or Fawlty? You know what, the answer is Friends. The fact is behind the smaltzy stuff and mawkish sentimentality it's one of the sharpest sitcoms ever written.

10 years and hundreds of classic jokes and moments. It's impact on US sitcom was unrivalled, and whilst it's not a cool show now, time will show it to be one the greatest sitcoms of all time.

Arrested got cancelled because it wasn't a big enough hit. And joke for joke it wasn't as good as Friends. Not many US sitcoms have been, barring Simpsons, Seinfeld and when it was good Frasier.

Quote: David Chapman @ November 26 2008, 12:45 AM GMT

Don't forget Friends appealed to the lowest common denominator.

Why, because it unashamedly had lots of jokes?

I agree, Friends was great and gets bashed these days seemingly because it's not seen as a 'cool' show. Though the fact it's repeated endlessly may also be a factor.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2008, 9:50 AM GMT

I agree, Friends was great and gets bashed these days seemingly because it's not seen as a 'cool' show. Though the fact it's repeated endlessly may also be a factor.

Yeah, too much of a good thing and it's ruined.

But time will show it to be a true titan of TV.

UK telly bosses would kill for a Friends. Though they won't find one due to the way they operate . . .

Quote: Sir Geoffrey Loftus @ November 26 2008, 12:38 AM GMT

The fact that Arrested Development got cancelled just past half way through the third season while Friends endured is a testament to the poor taste of the ‘powers that be'.

As much as I love this show, it's one of my all time favourites, it didn't get canned because of the poor taste of those at the channel, but because it didn't deliver in the ratings. Friends did.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 26 2008, 9:50 AM GMT

I agree, Friends was great and gets bashed these days seemingly because it's not seen as a 'cool' show.

I think Friends is quite a cool show, even now. I was talking to a couple of very attractive and sassy seventeen year old girls a couple of weeks back, and both loved Friends. The only place Friends isn't "cool" is on the BSG, and I hardly think the collection of malcontented unwashed loners here are arbiters of cool.

Quote: chipolata @ November 26 2008, 10:22 AM GMT

I think Friends is quite a cool show, even now. I was talking to a couple of very attractive and sassy seventeen year old girls a couple of weeks back, and both loved Friends. The only place Friends isn't "cool" is on the BSG, and I hardly think the collection of malcontented unwashed loners here are arbiters of cool.

You're wrong. LOADS of people on here love it.

You're right about the malcontented unwashed loners bit though.

Quote: Ben @ November 26 2008, 11:36 AM GMT

You're wrong.

You do realise it's technically impossible for me to be wrong? :)

Friends, Frasier, still funny even when you have seen them loads of times.
I prefer Frasier, but is that because it is not a high profile never ending repeat?

Edited by Aaron.

Sitcoms that ended on a high but were then f**ked up by a 'comeback':

Blackadder

Only Fools and Horses

Rowan Atkinson is such a c"£$%^&*()g w""£$%^&*(d .