Sitcoms that ended on a high Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ October 9 2008, 2:54 PM BST

Depends on the show, and the writers. Cleese and Booth were wise enough to understand that they'd captured something special, and couldn't really go any further with the characters without diluting or bastardising the setup.

I sort of agree. But part of me thinks that Cleese (then still at the top of his game) could have produced six more brilliant episodes. Ditto for Merchant/Gervais with The Office.

Quote: Aaron @ October 9 2008, 2:54 PM BST

Depends on the show, and the writers. Cleese and Booth were wise enough to understand that they'd captured something special, and couldn't really go any further with the characters without diluting or bastardising the setup.

But how could they be sure....

I lean towards thinking you can get at least three six part series out of a great show.

Well, do remember that they were also divorcing at the time of series 2. Evidently it was relatively acrimonious or we wouldn't have even had that series, but it doesn't necessarily lend to the most constructive and fruitful writing combination.

Ultimately, they must have just decided that they didn't have any more stories to tell.

Quote: Aaron @ October 9 2008, 4:34 PM BST

Well, do remember that they were also divorcing at the time of series 2. Evidently it was relatively acrimonious or we wouldn't have even had that series, but it doesn't necessarily lend to the most constructive and fruitful writing combination.

Ultimately, they must have just decided that they didn't have any more stories to tell.

I agree. It's hard to be too critical when they produce twelve of the finest sitcom episodes ever made. Incidentally, what does Booth do nowadays?

She's a psychologist. Or psychiatrist. Or psycho-analyst. Well, one of those jobs within that field anyway.

Has a practice in London, and never talks of her showbiz days.

Nighty Night

Quote: Mike88 @ October 9 2008, 7:23 PM BST

Nighty Night

I think you're alone on that one. I thought the second series was pretty awful.

Yeah, I liked the first series a lot but the second went to shit.

Quote: Aaron @ October 9 2008, 4:34 PM BST

Well, do remember that they were also divorcing at the time of series 2.

According to Wiki:
Fawlty Towers Series 2 came out in 1979.
They divorced in 1978.

I didn't even know they were ever married!
I thought they were just together.

Quote: WrongTale @ October 10 2008, 3:07 PM BST

According to Wiki:
Fawlty Towers Series 2 came out in 1979.
They divorced in 1978.

Yeah, writing, pre-production, actual filming, post-production and broadcast don't happen instantaneously or concurrently.

The Office - Definitely.
Spaced - Yes.
Phoenix Nights - Yes.
The League Of Gentlemen - Yes.
Black Adder - Almost.
Black Books - Sadly no. First series was excellent, second was good and the third wasnt.

I think most British sitcoms end on a good night and most tend to do a good Christmas special. I can't think of one American sitcom that knew when to quit. But then again it's hard to say no to $$$.

Someone mentioned whether it was brave or cowardly, ermm I think it just sensible if you're a writer and can't get together a script that's as good as your previous work. Why tarnish good work? It's quite a hard thing to do, and I'm sure the BBC would have liked a few sitcoms of recent times to have carried on, but the writers have stuck to their guns and known when to stop.

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 8 2008, 9:55 PM BST

Black Books?! God, that just got worse. First series - awesome, second - very good, third really disappointing. I'm glad that didn't come back in retrospect.I

Have to disagree here. Black Books only got better without Lineham, the first series was the worst.

Also Seinfeld? Shame that ever got made.

The IT Crowd finished on a high too, and Father Ted. I think Lineham likes to move on (although, all his comedies have three major characters, at least one of them Irish).

You do know that The IT Crowd's third series will be starting in 18 days, right?