Top 3 Over rated British sitcoms. Page 16

Quote: Aaron @ September 19 2008, 5:37 PM BST

You must tune in to My Family, Two Pints... and After You've Gone religiously then. I seem to be the only one who gets ANY of those.

Songs of Praise and Big Chef/Little Chef.

All those subtle gags no one else gets.

Nah, I'm sticking by The Office, Aaron. There's a reason it was so successful and won as many awards as it did. ;) Well written, engaging (though not always in a primarily humorous way), and full of class performances.

I liked the Office but I still think it was highly overrated.
I also think the US version is superior.
Bring on the hate.

Fawlty Towers.

A man running about screaming.

Quote: Curt @ September 20 2008, 4:15 PM BST

I liked the Office but I still think it was highly overrated.
I also think the US version is superior.
Bring on the hate.

Quote: Spagett @ September 20 2008, 5:18 PM BST

Fawlty Towers.

A man running about screaming.

Philistines. >_<

'The Office' is unmitigated pap. It may be a parody but that does NOT make it a sitcom. It may be a 'sit' but it most definitely lacks the necessary 'com'.

It is not that 'some people can't see the humour'. Its 'humour' is, as Arnold Rimmer would have said, invisible to 'anyone WITH eyes'.

What Arnold never mentioned is that some people deliberately put on blindfolds...

It is far and away the greatest sitcom con ever perpetrated, only recently being challenged for humourlessness by Little Britain and similar garbage where outlandishness is substituted for inspired witty writing.

It takes the Médaille d'Or as far as this thread is concerned. You can argue the toss about silver and bronze.

Do you genuinely believe any of the comments you write? Or are you just playing some part you've written for yourself?

I've said it before, but I do wonder why Jolanta graces us with her presence.
It baffles me.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ September 20 2008, 9:32 PM BST

'The Office' is unmitigated pap. It may be a parody but that does NOT make it a sitcom. It may be a 'sit' but it most definitely lacks the necessary 'com'.

It is not that 'some people can't see the humour'. Its 'humour' is, as Arnold Rimmer would have said, invisible to 'anyone WITH eyes'.

What Arnold never mentioned is that some people deliberately put on blindfolds...

Balls to that. You're basically saying The Office is shit and anyone who likes it is lying? Or an idiot? Or have no eyeballs in their face fronts? Just absurd.

I also, like Curt, prefer the American version now. Series two on it's just been brilliant. Have you seen the U.S. one Aaron? I bet if you gave it a chance (by ignoring it's first few episodes) you might be surprised.

Even your typical six year old has grasped the fact that people have different tastes and opinions. Jolanta doesn't seem to have reached that intellectual level just yet.

Unless she's just bullshitting us of course. Which is, one would hope for her sake, more likely.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 20 2008, 9:52 PM BST

Have you seen the U.S. one Aaron? I bet if you gave it a chance (by ignoring it's first few episodes) you might be surprised.

Yes, I saw the first few episodes when they were originally aired (in the US, not aired here). I found them to be a slight improvement on the original, but not enough to make me stick around. I think I'd need to try and give our original one last try before getting stuck into the American one.

Quote: Aaron @ September 20 2008, 10:23 PM BST

Yes, I saw the first few episodes when they were originally aired (in the US, not aired here). I found them to be a slight improvement on the original, but not enough to make me stick around. I think I'd need to try and give our original one last try before getting stuck into the American one.

I couldn't stand the first few episodes. Someone lent me the first season and it sat on a table for a month before I actually started watching it.
By the 2nd season it's a completely different show from the UK original.
I think I like it better because you can actually have empathy for the characters, even the jerks.

I've watched some of the American office, but can't find a website with access to full episodes. The US version is good, but I found Gervais and Freeman play far more compelling roles than Carell and Krasinski. The US version seems to use situations and set-ups of the traditional sitcom variety, whereas the UK version feels more natural. In my view, the original is the best. But yes, it's a matter of opinion. Would like to see more of the US version, if anyone knows a less-than-strictly-legal site.

I love both versions of The Office. The original is more powerful (to me), because it is more real, Brent's desperation more raw and painful to watch etc. But the US series is brilliantly done and very funny.

Quote: Griff @ September 21 2008, 9:31 AM BST

I love both versions of The Office. The original is more powerful (to me), because it is more real, Brent's desperation more raw and painful to watch etc. But the US series is brilliantly done and very funny.

What Griff said.