Top 3 Over rated British sitcoms. Page 13

Quote: zooo @ September 18 2008, 8:46 PM BST

series.

;)

Woops! My bad.

Quote: Aaron @ September 18 2008, 8:56 PM BST

'Allo 'Allo! trumps it.

An excellent show that tells what life may have been like within the cities (in a humorous way). But as a war film I personally don't think there is any better than Band of Brothers.

Platoooooooon!

Although that's not boring old WW2, it's the much more fun Vietnam.

Quote: Curt @ September 18 2008, 9:03 PM BST

An excellent show that tells what life may have been like within the cities (in a humorous way). But as a war film I personally don't think there is any better than Band of Brothers.

Twas a good show. BOB that is. ;)

'Allo 'Allo! is the unlovable, idiot brother of the vastly superior Secret Army.

Dad's Army is also about a billion times better.

'Allo 'Allo! vies with Goodnight Sweetheart for the worst WW2 sitcom of all time. Actually I prefer Goodnight Sweetheart.

I read the P G Wodehouse broadcasts, I hope he had a hell of a good reason for making them. Assinine jokes about jolly German soldiers, when neighbours of all descriptions would have been disapearing.

I really, truly hope he had no choice.

BOB was startlingly good.

I am old enough to remember The Young Ones when it was first broadcast, I thought it was shit then and my opinion has not changed..

I remember a show called "Gimme Gimme Gimme" that revolved around a pair of horrible drongos living together in an apartment. I'm sure some people liked it, but as far as I can remember it was awful.

And there was a programme called (I think) "Linda Green" (or "Linda Verde"), which was supposedly a romcom. Can't remember laughing once. Didn't like that.

Then again, I was about 14 when I saw those. Maybe I was off the mark.

And sorry Britain, but the tiny amount of Only Fools and Horses I've seen I found seriously disappointing. UK's favourite ever sitcom? Really???
Huh?

Gimme Gimme Gimme had a crude charm in small doses.

About 30 seconds a piece.

The 3 main actors, are amongst the best actors in the UK.

Wow, I hated Gimmex3. Didn't like Dreyfus' super-camp acting. He does that all the time, and it seriously pisses me off. And that woman was ridiculous.

I'm assuming the comedies I mention are "rated" because we're usually sent all the UK sitcoms that are doing well. That brings to mind another sitcom I never really liked: the Royle Family. Til' Death Us Do Part was streets ahead I felt.

AND: My Hero! Why the heck did so many people like that? The first couple of series were alright, but from then on it was absolute junk.

I read the Wodehouse broadcasts they're perfectly anodine, not especially funny.

I just wander if when he was interned he saw some of his prisoners disapear, or what life was really like in his South of France Villa, or Paris for that matter.

He didn't do anything wrong, but it seems like he didn't especially do anything heroic.

Men of good concioncse standing idly by and all that.....

Quote: Griff @ September 18 2008, 10:19 PM BST

The Royle Family is great.

I don't remember it all that well to be honest, Griff, but I seem to recall a lot of fart jokes and extended pauses. The atmosphere was rather like an un-funny version of 15 Storeys High.

I wasn't suggesting he should have joined the resistance.

Merely hypothesising that when he had the chance to give a couple of broadcasts that gave the regime a slight air of respectability, he made his choice.

He's only human, God knows if Gordy decides to intern all Dave Cameron fans. I may well be at the post office with a big stack of scarlet letters.

Who knows? Certainly in the case of Woodhouse a misjudgement in areas he was pretty naieve, doesn't discount his great works.

It is merely worth noting it for what it was.

He was no Rifenstahl, she wanted an apointment with Pierpoint she did.

Quote: Griff @ September 18 2008, 10:30 PM BST

I never saw Fifteen Storeys High. The Royle Family was big on extended pauses though. Fart gags were an occasional ingredient I think but not the main source of humour.

BOTH were great imo.

Quote: Griff @ September 18 2008, 10:30 PM BST

I never saw Fifteen Storeys High. The Royle Family was big on extended pauses though. Fart gags were an occasional ingredient I think but not the main source of humour.

If I get a chance, I'll look at it properly again. I was only a kid first time, but still didn't ever warm to it. I was surprised upon discovering its popularity.

A couple of reasons: (1) It might be operating on levels only appreciated in the UK; (2) it may have been too subtle for a young adolescent.

That said, I've not had those problems with any other UK comedy. It's most likely a matter of taste, pure and simple. :)

Quote: Griff @ September 18 2008, 10:25 PM BST

Well, when you're a 60-year-old man who has never done anything more active than sit and write, let's see how heroic you are against a battalion of German soldiers turning up to intern you.

That's what I was thinking.

Did he have a gun held to his head whilst making these broadcasts?

I don't mind the content, I called it anodine.

If that's an insult for you, then The Archers must fill you with rage.

It's the context, and it's the sheen of respectability that's an issue for me.

Good old Orwell still the beligerent trouble maker.