Top 3 Over rated British sitcoms. Page 12

Ah, thank you. I am enlightened. :)

In hindsight he admitted his mistake. I'm not suggesting he was a fascist, far from it. Of course Spode highlights his scornful attitude towards fascism.

But the incident did suggest he was rather out of touch with reality during the war. He was sucked into the Nazi propaganda mill, yes; he wasn't a traitor, no; but remember that many Germans recieved punitive sentances at Nuremberg for similar naivety (e.g. jurists who had no inkling of the horrors of the Holocaust and who failed to strike down Nazi legislation).

I dunno, what about the girl in Downfall?

I don't only watch the best of TV.

And the girl in question was Hitler's personal secretary in the bunker. I believe the film may have been part-based on her memoirs. Anyway, point was, she got sucked into the whole pomp of it and didn't understand what she was getting herself involved with.

I disliked Downfall, good film but it puts over the myth that the poor Germans had no idea what the beastly Nazis were upto.

You can see that film and think the only evil guys were Hitler, Himmler and that bloke in the funny hat who hanged people.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2008, 7:25 PM BST

You can see that film and think the only evil guys were Hitler, Himmler and that bloke in the funny hat who hanged people.

But you'd have to be a bit retarded to.

Quote: Griff @ September 18 2008, 7:02 PM BST

I'm not sure that "unwittingly sending people to the Holocaust" and "making a funny broadcast" count as "similar naivety".

I don't mean the judges who sent people to the camps; numerous magistrates etc. were tried and sentenced despite taking no active role in the crimes committed. It was effectively argued that their failure to topple the regime amounted to a criminal act under customary international law. See Justice at Nuremberg - great film. :)

And given the impact of propaganda during WWII, Wodehouse's actions were quite serious. He was very lucky to escape retribution afterwards; a less prestigious figure may have suffered a different fate.

It's how myths get created, I mean in a country where most kids don't know who CHurchill was.

It's not a good idea to assume every one is openminded and literate.

Downfall played it's self as being pretty faithful.

I mean Dr Schenck worked at Dachau and carried out human experiments.

But all we see in the film was in the last weeks of the war he volunteered to work in a hospital.

Heroic yes, but not enough really...

Justice at Nuremeberg and the one on Vansi were amazing films.

Also IBM, coca cola, lots of companies traded with the Nazis lifes complex.

Picking on one poor guy, who was politically disinterested all his life.

There's better things to do.

Quote: sootyj @ September 18 2008, 7:47 PM BST

Also IBM, coca cola, lots of companies traded with the Nazis lifes complex.

Picking on one poor guy, who was politically disinterested all his life.

There's better things to do.

True. :)

I still like "Enemy at the Gate" as a war movie. But I still think the HBO series "Band of Brothers" is the best WW2 film or television series ever made. Just my opinion.

Cor, mean and moody.
And he's got a stick.

And Frasier with his lob-sided punk hairdo. The funky old bastard!

Quote: Griff @ September 18 2008, 8:36 PM BST

Surely

I love that show. I can't wait until I have the money to invest in some of their seasons.

series.

;)

Quote: Curt @ September 18 2008, 8:24 PM BST

I still like "Enemy at the Gate" as a war movie. But I still think the HBO series "Band of Brothers" is the best WW2 film or television series ever made. Just my opinion.

'Allo 'Allo! trumps it.