Top 3 Over rated British sitcoms. Page 15

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 19 2008, 12:01 PM BST

Wrong.

Er, right. Wrong. Care to elaborate?

I think it's not really a sitcom, not even a dramedy, it's more of a kind of tragi-comedy.

If you watch it with out expecting it to be all that funny, then the well constructed characters, and plots that develop over multiple seasons are interesting. Not hugely funny but still engrossing.

Then with your intense identification with the characters, creates moments of great humor.

So Riki Gerviase dancing like a cock isn't in it's self funny. But if you know him, and his relationship with the other characters it hilarios.

I have worked in a number of offices, and yes there is plenty I recognise, particularly Brent's doing Keith's appraisal. (I had a member of staff just like that.)

But it is just not a style of comedy I particularly enjoy.

I think it suffers from the same problem as Boratt. Endlessly looped clips of a few funny scenes, but these scenes are only funny if you're invested in the characters.

Certainly once I got into the Office it made me laugh deeply, and cringe beyond measure.

I also think the mark of great comedy, is that not every one gets it.

Universally funny that's Mr Bean, clowns, and Allo Allo.

n.b. being a middle manager sort, Brent makes me cring beyond measure and never wear a tie.

Almost as much as this guy

Authoritah!

Yeh but that sodding episode came out when I got my first bit of team leadership.

I had that bloody quote in the back of my head all the ruddy time.

Southpark is big time genius, Mr Garrison and Timmy.

The NAMBLA episode may be one of the wrongest, funniest things I ever did see.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ September 19 2008, 11:46 AM BST

... 'THE OFFICE'...

The REAL and much more interesting question is: will any of the easily-led sheep who thought they simply had to run with crowd and feign understanding of the 'humour' in this unmitigated crap-pile of a programme now actually acknowledge as much?

Good call. Rolling eyes

I find it's now the sheep who jump on the bandwagon of slagging off The Office.
Now that Ricky's had the temerity to get successful.

I watched the original run of The Office and found it funny. I was pretty cool back then.

By the way, I like the word temerity.

Wow! The Office? Father Ted? Come on, these are genuinely brilliant programmes. Father Ted would be a contender for greatest sitcom of all time, I'd argue. And The Office is superb; the idea that comedy has to be all about belly-laughs is ludicrous. Extras was ordinary, but its predecessor is held in deservedly high esteem. As for Fawlty Towers, which has been damned by some - you will never see better farce.

Quote: Tommy Power @ September 19 2008, 3:46 PM BST

And The Office is superbly overrated

Correct. ;)

I liked it but I think we're to quick to lump diferent comedy styles together.

I prefered series one of Extras though.

Gervais seems to write a kind of none tragic tragi-comedy that isn't to every ones' tastes.

I mean there's so little comparison between Extras and Peep Show.

Personally I'm a snob I love watching shows that I know others don't get.

Quote: sootyj @ September 19 2008, 5:35 PM BST

Personally I'm a snob I love watching shows that I know others don't get.

You must tune in to My Family, Two Pints... and After You've Gone religiously then. I seem to be the only one who gets ANY of those.

I just like watching shows I enjoy watching.
Everyone else can very much f**k off. Particularly some people. :)

*raises hand*

Not you, numbnuts.

*breathes a sigh of relief* :)