British Comedy Guide

Top 3 Over rated British sitcoms. Page 14

I apologise for my lack of clarity.

I think I meant jolly jokes about German soldiers were asinine in their context rather than their content.

A recipe for garlic polenta is great in the context of a cookery program, but assinine in the context of providing food relief.

This thread is like reading a two-for-the-price-of-one. What happened to the "keep on topic police"? :)

Anyway, I've already had my 3 overrated jobbies but Nathan Barley, The Mighty Boosh and Green Wing would be contenders as well (though I gave them the benefit of the doubt cos I haven't seen more than a couple of episodes).

Quote: Badge @ September 19 2008, 12:17 AM BST

What happened to the "keep on topic police"? :)

This thread isn't about a specific programme (or programmes), so is allowed a bit of leeway.

My Family
After You've Gone
The Green Green Grass

and for a vastly under-rated 'com - Nightingales

Quote: fred bloggs @ September 19 2008, 2:31 AM BST

My Family
After You've Gone
The Green Green Grass

and for a vastly under-rated 'com - Nightingales

Yay, Nightingales! Should be repeated at prime-time so everybody could see it. Except that'd be missing the point. 2.30 am on Channel4's the only place for it.

This thread is like reading a two-for-the-price-of-one. What happened to the "keep on topic police"? :)

To be honest it's a bit of a shit thread that doesn't stand up to close scrutiny.

I don't think I've read a single thread that doesn't go off-topic after a while. Some people struggle to stay on topic in the General General thread.

I'm an American so I don't know the rep of a lot of recent UK sitcoms. That in mind, I decided upon some so called classics.

Red Dwarf - production values were so poor. I saw this one way after it originally aired and it did not stand the test of time. The bad blue screen stuff distracted too much.

Only Fools and Horses - not funny. I really don't understand why this show is so beloved. I've tried, I promise.

Father Ted - it had good moments, but is hardly the perfect sitcom. Way too cartoonish and repetitive for my taste. I like Linehan quite a bit and Ted is a good show, but I think it gets a bit too much praise. Dare I say it? I will... The IT Crowd has given me more laughs.

Recent shows that I think have too many series (i.e., more than one) include After You've Gone, My Family, and My Hero.

I find Father Ted hysterical but having had a preacher or 2 in my family the jokes may seem sharper.

'Top 3' rather than 'top'..?

'Over-rated' rather than simply 'bad'..?

To me, it seems this thread was put up specifically to be a come-all-ye and a generator of posts.

Ok, for what it's worth (and I know there is hardly any need to say this as it is so widely acknowledged and accepted to be God's Own Truth, amen)....

The Numero Uno, 5-star, gold-plated, certified at Lloyd's, most OVER-RATED British Sitcom of All Time Award goes to (rising inflection)...

(sound of envelope being rustled and opened ostentatiously) ...

(puts on toothy smile, raises voice to unnatural, semi-hysterical pitch)...

... 'THE OFFICE'...

The REAL and much more interesting question is: will any of the easily-led sheep who thought they simply had to run with crowd and feign understanding of the 'humour' in this unmitigated crap-pile of a programme now actually acknowledge as much?

:)

Anyway, I've already had my 3 overrated jobbies but Nathan Barley, The Mighty Boosh and Green Wing would be contenders as well (though I gave them the benefit of the doubt cos I haven't seen more than a couple of episodes).

Oh good calls, particularly Green Wing. (It is actually better than the other two, but on a graph of critical esteem plotted against actual quality, comes out as the more over-rated.)

I think it's boring to pick on the plain old bad sitcom.

But the stealth turd, with millions of viewers and fond BBC 2 specials about it.

Maybe even winning a few awards.

Now that is a fascinating beast.

I had a girlfriend once who explained, very profoundly, that you only get The Office if you've worked in one. She had, extensively. I haven't, ever. And I agree, it's dire. Any slightly wiser comments?

Quote: Huge Bear @ September 19 2008, 11:57 AM BST

And I agree, it's dire.

Wrong.