BBC Comedy College Page 32

You see that list of blogs to the right of Michael's blog?

The second one from the bottom ... what a tosser.

I can't believe it. 1200?!

Ever get that sinking feeling...

Quote: Perry Nium @ April 15 2008, 5:13 PM BST

I can't believe it. 1200?!

Ever get that sinking feeling...

I guessed 4 figures.

Look on the bright side, it's better odds than Sketch Factor.

It's only now I realise I didn't include an address with my entry.

Hope that's not a problem.

(And given the last paragraph, also worried that I sent some radio sketches that I'd done in the past, rather than specifically TV ones...)

Quote: Pripyat @ April 15 2008, 5:25 PM BST

Look on the bright side, it's better odds than Sketch Factor.

What were the numbers there?

2200 whittled down to a final ten.

And like you Antrax, I submitted narrative comedy in radio format and didn't enjoy reading that last paragraph.

Quote: Pripyat @ April 15 2008, 6:04 PM BST

And like you Antrax, I submitted narrative comedy in radio format and didn't enjoy reading that last paragraph.

My thinking was that it was a writing sample, rather than a direct pitch for production (hence portfolio)... hopefully I'm misreading and just being paranoid though!

Brilliant! That means I'm in the top 1200 undiscovered funny people in the UK (and maybe the world given some entrants were from overseas). I'll take that.

Mind you, I could've been one of the 100 that didn't qualify immediately. Shit.

Glass half full, glass half empty.

Thanks for your personalised auto-response Michael! I too am heartened by the mainstream thing as one of the reasons I got into writing was because I got fed up hearing peeps (mostly retired) moaning about the lack of funny stuff on TV and it occurred to me that surely THEY are probably the ones with the dosh to invest in mainstream stuff aren't they? (well it's more legal than distraction burglary - but less easy - I mean, I wouldn't - haven't- yet)

I've written quite a few police interview room sketches, but didn't send any off for this.

For the best probably.

All mine were two policeman sat in an interview room whilst mucking about on facebook. Any chance?

Who reads them all?

I've got a hideous feeling it will fall to the Writersroom to whittle them down, so if you get nowhere with them, you probably won't get anywhere with this thing. Although I have to say, the minute I sent mine off I saw everything that was wrong with it and why it wouldn't get anywhere. Still, I'll be ready for the next college of comedy in 2017.

Perhaps Micheál would be kind enough to clarify who reads the entries?

And the 100 that didn't qualify immediately, were they informed of that straight away or left to wait it out with everyone else?

I'd love to know what 'over qualified' means. I've had several script commissions and a few broadcast credits and I'd hate to think that because I managed to get some experience that I was now unable to apply for opportunities like this. I'd absolutely love to be mentored by any of the people on the scheme and my all time ambition is to write for mainstream BBC shows. I hope my efforts haven't got me disqualified. Although it's more likely that my script is the thing that won't get me on there!!