Euros 20/21 Page 6

Quote: DaButt @ 16th June 2021, 9:30 PM

Voice a controversial opinion and you'll find yourself without a job - that's why most workplaces have either "hard" or "soft" policies covering things like political statements. People have lost their jobs for saying things like "all lives matter". A sportsman in the U.S. lost an endorsement contract because his father said the "n-word" in an interview before the racer was even born.

In this era of hypersensitivity and the cancel culture, it's best to leave politics and social justice issues off the field entirely.

But you yourself are contributing to the culture of hypersensitivity by being hypersensitive to players taking a knee.

I'd also be interested to read about the guy losing an endorsement because of his dad, if you could post a link.

Quote: chipolata @ 16th June 2021, 9:38 PM

But you yourself are contributing to the culture of hypersensitivity by being hypersensitive to players taking a knee.

Not at all. I'm just wishing that the ugliness of modern politics wouldn't intrude upon every facet of our lives - including sporting events.

Quote: chipolata @ 16th June 2021, 9:38 PM

I'd also be interested to read about the guy losing an endorsement because of his dad, if you could post a link.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article217540295.html

Here's a guy who was fired for tweeting "All Lives Matter". https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/06/03/sacramento-kings-broadcaster-grant-napear-out-after-all-lives-matter-tweet/3132629001/

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th June 2021, 9:22 PM

Any where else in the stadium?

Everywhere else.
No-one's stopping them booing.
They, on the other hand want to stop everyone else make a statement about all forms of discrimination.

Quote: DaButt @ 16th June 2021, 9:45 PM

Not at all. I'm just wishing that the ugliness of modern politics wouldn't intrude upon every facet of our lives - including sporting events.

Amen to that.

Players don't need yet another OCD habit to distract their focus from their performance, and their duty to club and country. That's what this cheap piece of posturing is already to some pros, they will have to take the knee now as part of their superstitious ritual before a game. That's half the reason I hate this latest craze, and it'll cause team conflict if some don't do it or do it reluctantly. The other half is because it's crude lefty peer pressure.

So many players already cross and triple cross themselves as they take to the pitch now or score a goal. Some have some very strange compulsive rituals. It all looks f**king ridiculous to me, like some weird cultish ritual, it's the beginning of mental illness, in my book. They're doing the opposite of what sports psychologists say they should be doing, they should be freeing their minds to focus on the events on the pitch. Pirate

French and Italians are looking pretty good IMHO.

Probably the best picture from the Euro's

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th June 2021, 12:24 AM

Players don't need yet another OCD habit to distract their focus from their performance, and their duty to club and country. That's what this cheap piece of posturing is already to some pros, they will have to take the knee now as part of their superstitious ritual before a game. That's half the reason I hate this latest craze, and it'll cause team conflict if some don't do it or do it reluctantly. The other half is because it's crude lefty peer pressure.

So many players already cross and triple cross themselves as they take to the pitch now or score a goal. Some have some very strange compulsive rituals. It all looks f**king ridiculous to me, like some weird cultish ritual, it's the beginning of mental illness, in my book. They're doing the opposite of what sports psychologists say they should be doing, they should be freeing their minds to focus on the events on the pitch. Pirate

Well said Alf - I see Lazz has changed the subject, again Whistling nnocently

"It all looks f**king ridiculous to me" That just about sums it up.

Ah just like Lazarus, he'll come back from the dead.

Quote: DaButt @ 16th June 2021, 9:45 PM

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article217540295.html

Here's a guy who was fired for tweeting "All Lives Matter". https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/06/03/sacramento-kings-broadcaster-grant-napear-out-after-all-lives-matter-tweet/3132629001/

Thank you for posting. The sponsorship being dropped was wrong (was it permanent?). The All Lives Matter guy shouldn't have been sacked but people who tweeted that were pretty much trolling. Nobody (except a few wingnuts on the edges) who supports BLM thinks that all lives don't matter, they just think there's a specific problem in society that needs addressing.

But I am bored of the issue now. It's just a peaceful protest that hurts nobody except those that go out of their way to be wound up and enraged by it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th June 2021, 8:37 AM

Well said Alf - I see Lazz has changed the subject, again Whistling nnocently

What?
Changed the subject on the Euros thread to talking about the Euros?
You appear to a be little confused, old thing.

We are not wound up, I just think it's not right. It's about a bloke killed in America by the police.
How is that still relevant?
Apart from Belgium - no other team is kneeling. Are they racist?
No, they are footballers wanting to play football with respect to everyone.
The Hungarians pointed at their Uefa respect badge during the kneeling.
Perfect.

Wales and Turkey took the knee.
Scotland will take the knee at Wembley "out of solidarity with England team".
Everyone one has their own way of making their point.
Including those boo-ing.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th June 2021, 9:58 AM

It's about a bloke killed in America by the police.
How is that still relevant?

That sums up the incongruousness of the practice in sporting events. Do it for a week or two after the event, but not permanently, as players who still do it will want to. For some teams it has become a distraction, there's now so much debate about its use it risks taking their focus off the game.

They can still support whatever cause they like outside football, but leave it off the pitch. If FIFA could fine England and Scotland for wearing poppies then why aren't they and EUFA fining teams who are making a far more political gesture with this knee thing? Is it because they fear being labelled RACIST!!!!!!!!!! ?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th June 2021, 11:29 AM

!!!!!!!!! ?

There's no need for all these exclamation marks. It's hysterical and un-British. Pull yourself together, man.