The Goodies Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ 25th September 2018, 12:48 AM

I can confirm the box set is uncut; indeed, previous cut scenes have been specifically reinstated.

It's also been fully digitally restored, where possible from original film elements. You really couldn't wish for a better quality release.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_goodies/shop/5887/complete_bbc_collection/

There was a competition recently on 'ere to win the new box set, and I won!:P

It's dropped through the door today and I can't wait to get into it. Thanks Aaron/Mark/robot who randomly picked lucky old me.

Ooh how lucky you are! Enjoy. :-)

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, and I was so looking forward to this box set release.........................

Have just included it in my box set rotation (back on Phil Silvers now Disc 3 Series 3) and have just finished watching Disc One and have to say I was a bit disappointed - either rose tinted glasses or it doesn't travel well as they barely raised a titter with me. Apart from the chunks of ISIRTA reused I found what was left was either very dated or just plain silly - I resisted saying daft as that implied some sort of humour.

The second one in on this disc one was "Snooze" and that couldn't have been a more appropriate title. It did improve somewhat from thereon and I live in hope that that carries on and it/they get funnier, but I'm not holding my breath.

I watched The Goodies as a kid and didn't like them - not a patch on the marvellous contemporaneous Do Not Adjust Your Set.

I watched lots of it at the time and enjoyed most of it. However it was never must watch TV.

I watched The Goodies as a kid and loved it so much. I think, being a kid at 'the right time', I was also able to sit with my family and watch the likes of Morecambe and Wise, Two Ronnies etc. and be in awe of how 'naughty' these adults were being. After constantly being told by grown-ups (at school and home)...don't do this, don't do that...then being exposed to all these grown-ups behaving incredibly childishly and in ways I would be smacked for, it was just too wonderful! I always felt I was watching something I really shouldn't. Most of the adult humour went over my head, due to good writing, but the nonsense was exactly right for my mindset at the time...and, indeed, now.

I've always thought the Goodies were mediocre at best - and I still do.

The strange thing is that I've only ever seen one episode of their show and it was absolutely hilarious.

God alone knows what's going on in my head.

I certainly don't! :O

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th March 2019, 12:19 PM

I've always thought the Goodies were mediocre at best - and I still do.

The strange thing is that I've only ever seen one episode of their show and it was absolutely hilarious.

God alone knows what's going on in my head.

I certainly don't! :O

I think we all have an insensitivity to certain forms of comedy. Yeah, it's a bit funny, but it doesn't affect us all that much...ya know? But there are also those little bits of funny stuff we don't expect to find amusing, but for some reason we do. We're all so complex in so many ways. Our childhood memories of family, friends, situations we've found ourselves in...these all add to our appreciation of the world around us. I, for example, adore On the Buses, because it reminds me so much of my dad and his family. All cockneys and everything was an opportunity for a bit of banter and a piss-take. However, it doesn't make me laugh out loud, because I love it more for its relevance to my own past, than the comedy it provides. I'm not sensitive to it, because I've already lived it, if that makes sense. That doesn't make it any less entertaining.

If I laugh my head off at comedy that other people poke fun at me for liking, I couldn't give a shit. For me to laugh outwardly takes something that I haven't been subjected to for years on end. We do become immune to certain comedy...I'm sure of it. I feel totally blessed when I find something new that surprises me and makes me laugh out loud, especially when I'm alone and not trying to fake happiness in front of other people!

To clarify, in general, I am a very talkative, smiley person...but, as soon as I stop to think about something and fall silent, everyone thinks I'm in a bad mood or I've had a stroke, or something. I don't tend think a lot, so it's not a huge problem. Similarly, I can type at over 100wpm, so I can pretty much shit out nonsense into a forum at a rather stunning rate. Hence, people might also believe I am upset or have died if I don't post for ages...when, really, I've just done been doing other things instead. :-)

I bought a DVD of The Goodies a few years back and was so looking forward to it. I can recall it being one of my favourite comedies of the 70s. Oh dear. Some things are best left in past as fond memories. It was truly dreadful.

It was more like a Monty Python for kids.

The Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast recently recorded an interview with all three Goodies. Herring was a bit fangirly over it all and there was an awful lot of shilling the DVD boxset, but I tried watching one of the eps on an obscure cable channel a few years ago and didn't titter much. I do recall finding Kitten Kong amusing as a child though.

I have to admit I am struggling to find these as funny as I remember, but the one I watched last night in my box set rotation was "Loch Ness Monster" from Disc 2 which was very good, if only for the guest appearance of Bernard Bresslaw and, especially, Stanley Baxter.

I've probably said this before and it was a more family-friendly version of Monty Python as they had all trodden the same learning paths. However again it was of its time and doesn't date well.

Hi.

I have been watching The Goodies (on DVD) for the first time since the 1970s. Quite funny - I think I thought it was hilarious when aged 9 - but more to the point extremely interesting with the benefit of a historical perspective. The sights of a Ford Cortina, a bikini clad woman, old terraced housing, a 20 something bloke in a suit and tie who already seems 57 - and especially outdoors film footage in which everything outside looks like it is a different planet - conspire to place this vehicle firmly in its very special era. I find that of itself quite reassuring. It helps not only to remind me why I have always started each day bouncing around my bungalow on a spacehopper but explains why I love - and worship - the solstice.

It is worth pointing out here that nothing whatsoever had changed (other than a few new slum tower blocks laughably designed to look like Swiss ships) by the time of the Vapors and Minder. However, it is the gigantic pussy which most with a longer memory fondly recall. By the third episode in my collection it was there happily with me in my living room devouring what was then known as the Post Office Tower. That thing deserved to be subsequently rebranded. OK. So it had the temporary gimmick of a revolving brasserie but It wasn't even in pre Shelter Lib days The Monument.

So where are we? To be frank, I wasn't expecting much. I have been consistently disappointed by I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again on 4 Extra so it came as a huge surprise to discover that The Goodies was just so imaginative. What I remembered was the physical humour - the slapstick - and that does work very well although in terms of timing it tended to be overdone. What I hadn't anticipated was the wacky sharpness in the script and its flow of ideas. This is The Magic Roundabout era in which art was so wonderfully drugs on account of 95% of folk outside the Kings Road not actually being on drugs. Mr Benn - the one who shared his name with another with wild staring eyes and a son named Hilary - was the post The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe blueprint for any bearded bird watcher high on sherbet dabs. That's Springwatch or no Springwatch so the ideas about what was behind his and his mates' doors are a joy to behold.

Indeed, they are far more persuasive than the notion of them having at the other side of their apartment a personal computer for that would never have happened beyond the Banana Splits. Meanwhile, any number of Mrs Carthorses were partially finding the right target while somehow managing not to be offended by Jimmy Savile or Rolf Harris, both of whom get a suitably dishonourable early mention. And to think that nobody knew. Natch. In fact, the symbolism is impressively persistent throughout in terms of time contextualisation. Someone appears in black face but only briefly and simply to inoffensively remind us that for all of the Bolans and Bowies we still had one foot in the music hall. The Beatles had suggested as much on Sgt Pepper except on this show some five years later Oddie's backdrop songs nod to various music trends of the time. The erotic Slocombe of Kitten Kong, for example, is absolutely the UK's Theme From Shaft.

Away from Blaxploitation, a black woman cleaner calls for Thomas so as to depict that we are additionally in the cartoon world of Tom and Jerry. Strikers - and football hooligans dressed like Rod Stewart - who would inevitably have disrupted the making of the shows are cleverly forgotten using the device of regular appearances of non threatening camp men and imitations of them. They are presented warmly in the main and reveal that if one were of that character in 1972 Britain was one of the better places to be. And by the look of the empty streets, it is easy for any younger person to see that it was for all. With only 6 million cars on the roads rather than today's 36 million, there was less mania and we were all far more environmentally friendly. The appearance of Concorde is an obvious joke. You just couldn't do that on Freddie Laker.

Did Pink Floyd's inflatable pig over Battersea Power Station come later or earlier? It was later so clearly the Goodies influenced the Floyd rather than vice versa and they totally transformed the future of rock forever until punk a few months or minutes later and Dua Lippa. Meanwhile, the inclusion in the programme of adverts not only predicted what would happen to the BBC before the end of 2020 but encouraged in every comedy production in schools by teenagers who thought they were being imaginative themselves precisely the same. But so much for my earliest memories of the likes of Steve Punt who I would not have had the privilege to know before 1974. Being monetarist, those mock ads were arguably as controversial as the references to sex at 7pm in what was described as fun for all the family. Perhaps we just watched when they did their animals? Whatever - thank god as it turned out - we were strictly for Blue Peter rather than Magpie in our house. Actually, my mates and I were still innocently skipping in a taking the piss way to Crystal Tipps and Alistair.

So, yeah, all very good so far, I think, and I am only through three episodes as I write. Looking forward to the others especially as my anti depression guru has advised me not to watch 21st Century television now. In a normal world, it would have been aired again decades ago. There must be a story on why it never was but I haven't had the time yet to Wiki it and may not even bother to return to reality, so-called. Was it the Muslims? The one in which they make a gender education film has figures dressed in "kind of" white burkas which could have been mistaken for outfits worn by the Ku Klux Klan. Sort of. The animal rights brigade on account of what is done to a bush baby, albeit one made in Hong Kong? The politicians who are depicted as overly authoritarian little kids with double standards way before John Major's bastards and the Parliamentary Expenses affair? Or the Christians given the inevitable pagan "vibe of the times" nature of it all?

Let's just say it was whingers. The show might not have insisted on women enjoying a new sexual liberation as the Benny Hill Show or Man About The House did but it had its moments what with the occasional disrobed dolly birds appearing in its mixture of leaps of imagination and liquorice confection. Furthermore, there were at least as many ideas in it as in Spike Milligan, glam rock and the second series of Camberwick Green combined. That spacehopper by the way. When there is a crescent moon, I don't only get on it but stick a box around my shoulders with a chunk cut out at the front and pretend that I am a packet of Frosties. It beats the page three girl of ethnicity routine of walking around in a dodgy fawn sheet with a drawing of big breasts. Oh, plus it means getting fewer stares from neighbours as I make my way to the local crack den.

'Ava Cariba? Not 'arf!