The Goodies Page 6

Odd - I could have sworn it was pre-watershed.
Memory must be going.

On all the above 'can't think why I found it so funny back then' and 'it's really a kid's prog' comments, here's my theory based on similar observations of mainly 1970s shows - It was a more 'innocent' time of lighter entertainment with no swearing or heavy subject matter like you have today in (so called) comedies. Because we have become so accustomed to darker material on TV, and bad language is everywhere, this sort of thing seems puerile and childish, when back in the day it was very popular escapist fun.

The watershed bar has been bent all out of shape to accommodate modern heavier language and material, so this darker stuff infests the peaktime showing where Benny Hill & The Goodies used to be. I still find The Goodies entertaining because it's a nostalgia trip for the contemporary references, but if made today, it would probably be shown on Cbeebies at tea time. Morning.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th September 2022, 7:37 AM

With my name, The Goodies theme tune was often sung to me when I turned up somewhere.
And usually the yum yum part was changed to dumb dumb.

You have to let these things go.

Quote: Lazzard @ 12th June 2023, 5:24 PM

Odd - I could have sworn it was pre-watershed.
Memory must be going.

No, no, no, never, and yes 😁

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th June 2023, 7:28 AM

On all the above 'can't think why I found it so funny back then' and 'it's really a kid's prog' comments, here's my theory based on similar observations of mainly 1970s shows - It was a more 'innocent' time of lighter entertainment with no swearing or heavy subject matter like you have today in (so called) comedies. Because we have become so accustomed to darker material on TV, and bad language is everywhere, this sort of thing seems puerile and childish, when back in the day it was very popular escapist fun.

The watershed bar has been bent all out of shape to accommodate modern heavier language and material, so this darker stuff infests the peaktime showing where Benny Hill & The Goodies used to be. I still find The Goodies entertaining because it's a nostalgia trip for the contemporary references, but if made today, it would probably be shown on Cbeebies at tea time. Morning.

Yes, like your theory, Alf

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th September 2022, 7:37 AM

With my name, The Goodies theme tune was often sung to me when I turned up somewhere.
And usually the yum yum part was changed to dumb dumb.

😆 Like it!

I remember seeing a cameo appearance from John Cleese in one episode of The Goodies, where Cleese literally called it a "kid's programme"!

Well I saw one last night and Graeme was off his tits on dope

Bill beat a horse half to death and shot it with a machine gun about 20 times

Hardly kids stuff!