Newsjack Series 19 Page 22

@Auditchris...congrats on the script, corking idea!

I chortled at your original script, I liked NJ's input but the whole relationship breakdown thing was a wee bit over-indulged in my humble opinion.

As for all the editing stuff, I was a bit naive about the whole process when I first started submitting, but I soon began to realise (thanks to other writers' candidness and a bit of detective work) that it's entirely likely that your original submission will get a complete refurb.....such is the nature of having a room full of burgeoning comedy writers all keen as beans and high on coffee. So I think the key to cracking Newsjack appears to be a. consistency and b. 'killer' ideas...the fluid kind that harbour possibilities.

Peeps on here consistently tick those boxes, and I doff my cap to them. I'm determined to slug this season out but I'm kinda arriving at that point of no return having dined out on my winnie the pooh joke that made the live recording around the time they started knocking down the Berlin Wall...or was it when they started building the Great Wall of China (I can never remember which).

Thanks Danno!

I think it's important to learn not to be precious about the specific words you write - we're not auteurs, we're just one part of the very complicated process that is making a programme.

Quote: Exe Chris @ 6th October 2018, 7:51 AM

Out of interest does anyone know what sort of percentage of the recorded material is cut before the actual show? I've had about 8 one-liners in over the years (no sketches) but never got the 'close but didn't make the final cut' email. Is this only something that happens with sketches or do some one-liners get binned?

Also had a couple of one liner rejections in the last few series. I did get a reason for one of them as it was a joke last February based around Snow, who had a one hit wonder many years ago and apparently not enough of the audience knew who he was ( and maybe it was a crap joke.... )

Anybody ever hear a breaking news more or less identical to one you've submittted ? ( I had this last year with a joke about Chaka Demus and Pliers. )

I've had a fair few of them. It kinda makes me think I must be submitting along the right lines...adding to the agony Errr

The last one I had was another version of the 15 love joke about Serena Williams (which I reckon was quite popular). Mine was a breaking news oneliner but they used a newsjackpedia version, which admittedly worked much better.

Quote: Auditchris @ 6th October 2018, 9:25 AM

Thanks Danno!

I think it's important to learn not to be precious about the specific words you write - we're not auteurs, we're just one part of the very complicated process that is making a programme.

I just listened to the show. Tbh,I liked your punchline. Good sketch though. Great premise.

Quote: Danno @ 6th October 2018, 9:13 AM

@Auditchris...congrats on the script, corking idea!

I chortled at your original script, I liked NJ's input but the whole relationship breakdown thing was a wee bit over-indulged in my humble opinion.

As for all the editing stuff, I was a bit naive about the whole process when I first started submitting, but I soon began to realise (thanks to other writers' candidness and a bit of detective work) that it's entirely likely that your original submission will get a complete refurb.....such is the nature of having a room full of burgeoning comedy writers all keen as beans and high on coffee. So I think the key to cracking Newsjack appears to be a. consistency and b. 'killer' ideas...the fluid kind that harbour possibilities.

Peeps on here consistently tick those boxes, and I doff my cap to them. I'm determined to slug this season out but I'm kinda arriving at that point of no return having dined out on my winnie the pooh joke that made the live recording around the time they started knocking down the Berlin Wall...or was it when they started building the Great Wall of China (I can never remember which).

Hope you have some success soon, Danno. I have never had any with this show but it is fun trying (disappointment is an essential by-product).

I had a one-liner on - the North Macedonia one

I was hoping it was a sketch, and as it was my favourite I've written in a while I thought I'd share it critique - feel free to have a look:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34632/

Struggling big time. Everything is Brexit or not suitable.

Plus Banksy...but that's going to be a popular one.

This may be a silly question but do you guys send the sketches and oneliners in rich text format or word?

Or does it really matter as I currently have mine saved on rich text but I wonder if they can read it there end.

Quote: woodsy @ 7th October 2018, 10:23 PM

This may be a silly question but do you guys send the sketches and oneliners in rich text format or word?

Or does it really matter as I currently have mine saved on rich text but I wonder if they can read it there end.

I am the worst person to answer but I do it in word. Don't know how to use anything else!

I always submit in rtf as per the templates. Don't know if they use Macs at BBC Studios!

Done one. Like title but as to the rest - well. In the lap of the Jackian gods.
Just thought of a second idea...

I'm stuck using Google Docs whilst I travel but I always export in .rtf format.

I'm also stuck on my second sketch. Writing for Newsjack is a bit difficult this week.

Sketches in. One of those annoying occasions when there's no auto-reply. I know they always say they receive everything but it still causes a niggle of anxiety!

Quote: Auditchris @ 8th October 2018, 9:34 AM

Sketches in. One of those annoying occasions when there's no auto-reply. I know they always say they receive everything but it still causes a niggle of anxiety!

No auto reply for me either.