I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,828

Quote: fopdoodle @ 24th June 2016, 12:10 PM BST

Boris Johnson for Prime Minister - could that ever happen?

Odds are currently 16/1

16/1? Not sure where you get that from. If you can get it snap it up!

Actual odds are 4/6 Boris Johnson, 3/1 Theresa May. 9/1 Michael Gove.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 23rd June 2016, 11:37 PM BST

Love America and it's indigenous population, but wouldn't want to live there given its obsession with guns.

It's not an obsession with guns, it's an obsession with maintaining our constitutional rights. Countless Americans don't own guns and have never even fired one, but that doesn't mean that they want to give up their right to possess one if they choose to do so.

Support for gun rights has increased proportionally to the perception that the government is more interested in disarming law-abiding citizens than disarming criminals. It will continue to do so until our elected officials stop demonizing gun owners, the NRA and little pieces of metal and plastic and start focusing their energy on the people who actually commit gun crime.

EU Referendum- Ask a straight yes/no question, you will get an honest answer. Sometimes the truth hurts.....

I just heard a statistic on the news that 80% of Leave voters think feminism is a bad thing.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th June 2016, 12:25 PM BST

Were 'actual' at time of posting, but can't remember source - though they change all the time.

Quote: Nogget @ 24th June 2016, 8:00 PM BST

I just heard a statistic on the news that 80% of Leave voters think feminism is a bad thing.

If there's one thing we've learned from both the referendum and from last year's General Election, it is to take what any poll tells us with a big pinch of salt.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 24th June 2016, 8:16 PM BST

Were 'actual' at time of posting, but can't remember source - though they change all the time.

The biggest price this year that Boris Johnson has been to be next prime minister was 9/2 on 3 February.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th June 2016, 12:25 PM BST

Actual odds are 4/6 Boris Johnson, 3/1 Theresa May. 9/1 Michael Gove.

I've always had a thing about Mrs May. I could never see the attraction of Mrs T though.

A Friend on Facebook said that Cameron had shot himself in the foot and has to fall on his sword.

He's obviously well-armed!

Contrary to taking a step forwards with this completely unnecessary referendum, I feel we've actually made a massive leap backwards and the heartbreaking stories are emerging now with children suffering too, asking if "Daddy might have to leave".

Though it would be quite ridiculous and costly to deport any foreign EU national living and working here legally, that doesn't stop them feeling unwelcome and even ostracized now. So I would imagine there will be a lot of people very twitchy right now, particularly in north of England.

So as these stories break, along with the prospect of plunging into yet another recession, many are regretting their vote so there is now a call for a second vote based on the fact that not every citizen made a mark in a box either way. Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted . . . maybe people can also claim they were not of sound mind, or drunk at the time so their initial vote shouldn't count at all.

But equally unsettling is how we are all constantly conned and manipulated by the people in positions of power who are supposed to care about this country and its citizens when it's clear they only care about themselves. And I don't believe everything I read, but am inclined to buy this by Boris (by columnist Brian Reade):

"Hours before the campaign ended, Boris Johnson confessed to having written two different Daily Telegraph newspaper columns, one fervently backing Remain, the other Brexit, before deciding to take on Cameron as leader of the Outters.

Those who read it said the case he made for staying was far more persuasive than the one for leaving. Which is chilling.

To be fair, I'm the same whenever I do a column on Johnson. I write one which says he's a blindly ambitious parasite, and another which says he's a disloyal, patronising, chameleon. And I toss a coin to decide which one to use."

. . . so as a scot myself who lived in England for 15 years and was passionately against Scottish independence . . . the prospect is looking quite a bit different to me now as this is scary sh*t.

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 2:57 PM BST

It's not an obsession with guns, it's an obsession with maintaining our constitutional rights.

We have no power in your country so there's no point telling us.

"7 in 10 Leave voters don't think this vote matters very much"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-7-graphs-that-explain-how-brexit-won-eu-explained-a7101676.html

Fopdoodle says...

"...I don't believe everything I read, but am inclined to buy this by Boris (by columnist Brian Reade):

"Hours before the campaign ended, Boris Johnson confessed to having written two different Daily Telegraph newspaper columns, one fervently backing Remain, the other Brexit, before deciding to take on Cameron as leader of the Outters.

Those who read it said the case he made for staying was far more persuasive than the one for leaving. Which is chilling. ..."

So, Brian Reade hasn't read the article, he is quoting from "those who read it" Who were they? What relationship were they to Boris? and Were they 'Remainers or Brexiters ?

Of course it was a necessary referendum.

The very fact that the result was not what the Government and Industry/Economics/Entertaninment/Media leaders expected proves that it was a necessary referendum so that they can correct their misconceptions.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th June 2016, 11:04 PM BST

I've always had a thing about Mrs May. I could never see the attraction of Mrs T though.

It is noticeable that Mrs May kept a relatively low profile during the referendum campaign, avoiding the insults and jibes that Boris Johnson got involved with. No doubt with a future leadership election in mind.

Clearly the new Conservative leader (and therefore PM) will have to be someone on the "leave" side in order to negotiate the exit. But probably not someone who has got into a feud with over 50% of the party over the past few weeks. Mrs May is in the ideal place to be the conciliatory candidate. As John Major was when a surprise victor in 1990.

May kept quiet because she's a well known eurosceptic, just as Corbyn did.