I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,833

Quote: keewik @ 14th July 2016, 12:06 AM BST

That's because we're Scottish, not British, and we were conned. We were told the only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK. So, that was a load of shite. Bastards lied.

Well you've got no chance on your own. They've got Greece, they've got Italy. They don't want any more lame ducks.

Apparently Mrs Leadsom believes that butterflies should only be preserved on high hills and that low hills should be designated for sheep. Genius. Can't wait to see how she manages the next flooding in the Somerset levels.

How does the recent political upheaval compare to other periods in the last 50 years? Has it ever been this topsy turvy?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th July 2016, 9:27 PM BST

Apparently Mrs Leadsom believes that butterflies should only be preserved on high hills and that low hills should be designated for sheep. Genius. Can't wait to see how she manages the next flooding in the Somerset levels.

Probably best not to begin an accusatory statement with the word "apparently".

Quote: Ben @ 14th July 2016, 9:33 PM BST

How does the recent political upheaval compare to other periods in the last 50 years? Has it ever been this topsy turvy?

Well, there was the three day week, the 4 days without a government following the February 1974 election (and a similar situation in 2010), the trial for murder of the leader of the Liberal party, the IMF bailout in 1976, the "winter of discontent", the illegal budget of Liverpool City Council & its aftermath...

Prior to those, of course, there was the abdication crisis, Suez, Macmillan's night of the long knives, the renouncing of Lord Home's earldom to thwart RAB Butler & allow Home to succeed Macmillan as PM. And two World Wars.

Poor France - again.

Quote: keewik @ 14th July 2016, 11:53 PM BST

Poor France - again.

Terrible. It was a fireworks display, so there were likely lots of children in the crowd.

Deadlier than any mass shooting in the United States, and the killer used only a truck. It just proves that where there's a will, there's a way.

A real new scary tactic. How the hell do you police against that. It's authorities were given the upper hand, suspend individual civil liberties for the collective good.

Quote: DaButt @ 14th July 2016, 11:57 PM BST

Terrible. It was a fireworks display, so there were likely lots of children in the crowd.

Deadlier than any mass shooting in the United States, and the killer used only a truck. It just proves that where there's a will, there's a way.

I thought he was also shooting out of the truck and there were two of them? The police certainly found bombs on the truck.

Most of these run people over attacks kill few to none because I guess you can run faster from a car than a bullet.

Unless you're Superman of course.

As it is, it would appear the European police forces are still having problems with well organised terrorist attacks.

Quote: sootyj @ 15th July 2016, 11:19 AM BST

I thought he was also shooting out of the truck and there were two of them? The police certainly found bombs on the truck.

Most of these run people over attacks kill few to none because I guess you can run faster from a car than a bullet.

I haven't read anything about a second attacker. The "bombs" and guns found in the truck were fake, although he did have an actual pistol which he used at the end of the attack when confronted by armed police officers. As far as I've read, he didn't manage to shoot anyone.

The reason that vehicle rampages don't typically kill more than a handful of people is that they usually involve a car, and cars don't have enough power to keep driving through crowds of people. This guy used a large, powerful truck and managed to run over pedestrians for more than a mile.

Yep that much seems clear, and yet again the culprit seems to be some total loser made to feel like a big man.

Have the French police never heard of 'stingers' ?

It all happened in a couple of minutes. And with hundreds of people in the way. I doubt stingers could have worked!

When is it all going to stop? It's horrendous that the terror bastards are now using new tacks like this to circumnavigate security measures knowing that it's impossible to prevent or police these random attacks.

RIP to the victims.

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th July 2016, 11:45 AM BST

Have the French police never heard of 'stingers' ?

I've watched televised police chases where vehicles continued driving for miles with flattened tires.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 16th July 2016, 12:13 PM BST

When is it all going to stop?

Ultimately when all muslims are deported and or interred, neutralised or eradicated from Europe by sterilisation. All options unlikely to be adopted by a 21st century European nation.

But if for an islamist dictatorship, especially an is style caliphate there'd be no such qualms about applying any of those measures against enemies of Islam/all non muslims. In short we're f**ked by our own liberty from protecting our own citizens and way of life from islamistic savages.