Newsjack - Series 11 Page 16

Quote: Bonzo @ 13th October 2014, 11:48 AM BST

I teamed up for a joint submission this week and we sent in:

Sketches - Microsoft Apology to Women & Zoo Cam
Mini sketch - Advert for iPhone 6 hair removal

Good luck to everyone! :)

Good news that people teamed up. Did anyone else try this?

My 3 were:
UKIPs Big Push
Brooks Newmark's Guide To The Internet
Teacher's Oath (ad).

Good luck to all for week 4.

Quote: cynic @ 13th October 2014, 10:55 AM BST

I must say I too was left open-mouthed by the episode 3 breaking news one-liner:
"height differences caused by DNA says bear who shits in woods"
(I had to listen to it a few times to see if I was missing something)

I don't get that "joke." Am I missing something too?
Huh?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 13th October 2014, 7:10 PM BST

I don't get that "joke." Am I missing something too?
Huh?

I get it and I think it's clever. Basically, I think the writer is scoffing at the ridiculously obvious statement that DNA relates to your height by using the bear in the woods analogy. I might be wrong but that made me laugh. :D

Quote: Bonzo @ 13th October 2014, 1:30 PM BST

This week's cast announced on Twitter:

"This week's cast btw is @EllieWhite5 #TessaCoates @RomeshRanga & the return of #LewisMacLeod!"

I remember when they used to employ people... Angry

Again I found it hard to find the time for the sketches but I managed the full contingent of one liners and TV listings.

Last week was a strong week for the forum members. Hopefully this week is even stronger.

I have not had any material used on NewsJack despite submitting stuff regularly. I don't really mind because I enjoy trying and I hope I'm a good enough loser to celebrate the success of others. There's usually a 'wish I'd thought of that' moment for a clever and funny one-liner. However, I do agree with those posters who are disappointed by some of the gags broadcast so far this series.

Quote: Bonzo @ 13th October 2014, 7:44 PM BST

I get it and I think it's clever. Basically, I think the writer is scoffing at the ridiculously obvious statement that DNA relates to your height by using the bear in the woods analogy. I might be wrong but that made me laugh. :D

Ahhhh, I see.

Quote: Bonzo @ 13th October 2014, 7:44 PM BST

If it made you laugh, then job done. But it is a very old joke, and that's why it's getting a lot of flack.

It was also flagged up by a former Newsjack script editor as being the epitome of a 'lazy' gag (as has already been mentioned).

http://tetsell.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/in-other-news/

For all the talk of new angles and original material, these sorts of things do sneak in and, yes, it is infuriating. It's happened before and it will happen again. You will always be at the mercy of someone else's opinion. And, shock horror, that opinion isn't always the *right* one - not just for you personally, but also for the overall quality of the show.

But it can't change the fact that you can only write what YOU think is funny (tailored to the brief of the show). You can only ever do that. What happens after is beyond your control.

There's a swear word in it as well, which I thought was a no-no for Newsjack?

Stewart Francis

"Do I sometimes mix up my phrases?

Does the Pope shit in the woods? "

Out of curiousity anyone on here going to the recording tonight?

Hi all

I've made my very first submissions ever for Tonights upcoming episode (got to start somewhere).

Just a note on credits, as I'm like a giddy child. Will they notify you before they air that they are using something or do you not know until it airs and they used your material/have your name at the end?

Good luck all for tonights episode

*I also ape some else's comment about "Bear shit in woods" joke...and also "Nostrils finger sized cos' bogies tasty". In a weird way it fills me with hope, if this dross can get on, I have a good chance :D

Quote: Stonks @ 16th October 2014, 8:00 AM BST

Just a note on credits, as I'm like a giddy child. Will they notify you before they air that they are using something or do you not know until it airs and they used your material/have your name at the end?

Stonks get prepared to celebrate / have all hope crushed around 5-6pm this afternoon. They e-mail everyone who got something on the show around then to let them know.

Quote: StephenM @ 16th October 2014, 10:20 AM BST

Stonks get prepared to celebrate / have all hope crushed around 5-6pm this afternoon. They e-mail everyone who got something on the show around then to let them know.

Thanks for letting me know Stephen, I look forward to 5-6pm with nervous anticipation now. Kind of glad I don't have to spend all day waiting.
I won't be disheartened if I get nothing, just need to get back on the grind.

I think people get accepted and go back to the grind, Stonks. It's only a little show, but worth trying.

Credits are now on the episode guide.