I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,564

Quote: Jennie @ 12th May 2014, 11:10 PM BST

It's a better theory than the alternative, which is Americans be crazy. :)

Crazy and free. :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th May 2014, 11:16 PM BST

Isn't that your Tinder profile.

Quote: sootyj @ 12th May 2014, 11:25 PM BST

Isn't that your Tinder profile.

If I knew what Tinder was, I'd agree.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th May 2014, 11:16 PM BST

And in what way are you less free than an American?

Quote: keewik @ 12th May 2014, 11:35 PM BST

And in what way are you less free than an American?

*sigh*

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 7th May 2014, 2:13 PM BST

Let's see, if I want to legally and easily buy a gun, which country has the more restrictive and draconian laws?

Are there parts of the UK where I can legally sit in a bar and have a cigarette?

How much do I want to spend on my medical insurance this year?

If I'm worried about crime / wild animals, who will allow me to legally carry a firearm?

If I don't wish to pay for a public service broadcaster, will I be arrested?

I said something mean on Twitter, will the police come around and arrest me or will I be protected under freedom of speech?

Which country has a legally binding, fully certified, bill of rights and which one doesn't?

In which country am I a citizen and in which one am I a subject of the crown?

*Which country has a legally binding, fully certified, bill of rights and which one doesn't?*

Both do. The others..my fingers are tired.

Quote: Jennie @ 12th May 2014, 11:59 PM BST

Both do. The others..my fingers are tired.

Certainly open to interpretation, but it's too late in the evening for a fully blown discussion. We're basically signed up to the European version along with a few leftovers from the Magna Carter and the 1689 act. It's all patch work and duct tape with everyone just assuming things.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20757384

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th May 2014, 11:42 PM BST

*sigh*

I've read all that but the fact is there's no such thing as absolute freedom (if freedom exists at all). We all have to live within the laws of our society. Sometimes that means a restriction on certain freedoms. If you think British society is crap and the US gives total freedom, I do wonder why you stay here.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 13th May 2014, 12:03 AM BST

Magna Carter

Who's that?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th May 2014, 9:34 PM BST

No, they are not called DRONE MISSILES, I'm not sure where you got this nomenclature, certainly not from any official military or corporate literature. Drones equipped with missiles are capable of firing them, but the drones themselves are just big remote control planes and helicopters.

Yes, you can get jet turbine powered remote control planes, so very much like a toy Spitfire - wings, engine, remote control, hobby shop.

As for 'the subjects of news stories' - the British press is probably the worst in terms of research and the best in terms of panicky techno fear.

Speaking of which, I'm concerned that you as a scientist type dude would join in with this Luddite behaviour. These aren't V2s.

The targetted person is not really going to care whether the drone is a missile or whether it fires a missile and then goes home to mum.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=drone+weapons&client=ubuntu&hs=Pph&channel=fs&gl=uk&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=D2pxU8j8Gqmk0QX1i4D4AQ&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1392&bih=736

Quote: billwill @ 13th May 2014, 1:52 AM BST

What amazes me is how the pilots see out of the front of the aircraft! Do they use the force?

RIP H.R Giger...one of my favourite "Swissers".

ImageImage

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th May 2014, 10:10 AM BST

RIP H.R Giger...one of my favourite "Swissers".

An amazing talent, his style was incredibly influential.

Obviously it's just an arrest at this stage - but I am glad they are making progress with this case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27392172

I've always thought her family have handled themselves with tremendous dignity. I can't imagine anything worse than being fairly sure you daughter is dead..but not absolutely sure. Awful.

This is pretty funny, on the way news shows often tackle the climate change debate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg