I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,568

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 13th May 2014, 11:34 PM BST

It also gives me an excuse to get out of boring situations and enjoy a bit of me time.

But if you could smoke in pubs again, you wouldn't have an excuse. Surely the very act of going outside gives you the me time?

Smoking never really interested me - I've never even tried one. My mum researching into smokers means that she can spot ciggy breath from 50 paces. By the time I moved out the act of rebellion lost its appeal.

I'm a believer that we all self-medicate in one way or another. When faced with stress, we comfort ourselves through food, alcohol, drugs or cigarettes.

Politics works like a bunch of hungry rats tearing up a helpless tramp.

I guess once smoking went, then consumers preferred smoke free pubs. And the market moved it with it,

I do wonder why people don't just copy shisha bars, they're lovely, warm, well ventilated you can pretend you're a shah.

Except they also encourage shisha smoking which is even worse than fags.

I would like to occaisonally go to a restaurant where I could smoke a cigar after dinner. I just wouldn't like to have to share it with poor people.

1. Yes

2. No

I like smoking, it's part of my character and the nicotine makes my brain sparkly and intelligent. It also gives me an excuse to get out of boring situations and enjoy a bit of me time.

With all the anti-smoking legislation that's come in and the unbelievable amount of tax imposed by subsequent governments, my desire to smoke just to piss people off has increased exponentially. Just as others have said they don't want to go to heaven because it will be full of Cliff Richard types, I don't want to join the ranks of the non-smoking cry babies and their particularly dull outlook on life.

Not that every non-smoker is a boring, whinging, bigoted knob end who has been given license to practice socially acceptable bullying - but a lot are.

Deluded.

Quote: Jennie @ 13th May 2014, 11:46 PM BST

But if you could smoke in pubs again, you wouldn't have an excuse. Surely the very act of going outside gives you the me time?

When faced with stress, we comfort ourselves through food, alcohol, drugs or cigarettes.

The me time was for boring situations, like being stuck in an office all day with a bunch of...I was going to say drones, but that's a controversial word around here lately. When I'm in the pub, I'd rather stay inside chatting, plus the constant temperature shift keeps making me want to wee.

As for the self medicating, I'm shocked by the lengths some people go to, including downing a few shots before going to work. (eek!)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 13th May 2014, 11:49 PM BST

As for the self medicating, I'm shocked by the lengths some people go to, including downing a few shots before going to work. (eek!)

Only get drunk after work. After six months on the wagon, I have realised how much I relied on a cool glass of Sauvignon and a sympathetic ear after a difficult day in court.

Only after though - before is just silly. When I trip over in court, it is due to clumsiness only.

Quote: sootyj @ 13th May 2014, 11:46 PM BST

I guess once smoking went, then consumers preferred smoke free pubs. And the market moved it with it,

Consumers really didn't have a choice and the market responded by spending thousands on beer gardens. I'm no environmentalist but even I think those heated umbrellas are the most useless wastes of electricity ever invented.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 13th May 2014, 11:48 PM BST

Deluded.

I banning you from the beer garden. :P

Quote: Jennie @ 13th May 2014, 11:52 PM BST

Only after though - before is just silly. When I trip over in court, it is due to clumsiness only.

There are now massive health concerns because of the 'casual' drinkers who regularly polish off one or two bottles of wine per night. They come home, have a glass, start making the dinner, have another glass, drink wine during the meal, put the telly on and slowly consume gallons of vino in front of BGT.

Because they're not necking it at a rate of knots like pub drinkers, they think it's all fine and dandy.

1. Yes

2. No

I like smoking, it's part of my character and the nicotine makes my brain sparkly and intelligent. It also gives me an excuse to get out of boring situations and enjoy a bit of me time.

With all the anti-smoking legislation that's come in and the unbelievable amount of tax imposed by subsequent governments, my desire to smoke just to piss people off has increased exponentially. Just as others have said they don't want to go to heaven because it will be full of Cliff Richard types, I don't want to join the ranks of the non-smoking cry babies and their particularly dull outlook on life.

Not that every non-smoker is a boring, whinging, bigoted knob end who has been given license to practice socially acceptable bullying - but a lot are.

Believe me there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that you could teach me about smoking.

I have just heard the news about Caroline Aherne is fighting lung cancer.

:O

I can't remember when I have ever read. if ever, such a disgusting piece of 'journalism'.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/475772/Madness-of-Britain-s-handout-culture-Scroungers-rake-in-85-000-a-year-from-benefits

Quote: sootyj @ 13th May 2014, 10:30 PM BST

Well we live in a democracy not some sort of Startrek noocracy, so maybe just don't like the smell of fags.

It was great to wake up not stinking of other peoples fags after being the pub the previous night.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 13th May 2014, 11:41 PM BST

Well done tyranny lovers.

>_<

1. Yes

2. No

I like smoking, it's part of my character and the nicotine makes my brain sparkly and intelligent.

My mum enjoyed smoking, now she has Chronic COPD and barely walk 2 yards without being out of breath.

My dad has just been diagnosed with this hateful condition, I imagine your sparkly feeling might be more to do with the lack of oxygen as you f*ck up your lungs.

Really sorry to hear that Danny. COPD is a bastard of a disease. Do they live near a university hospital? I know the techniques/medication in some of my mum's trials really do help - might be worth a go.

COPD was the reason aged 12 that my mum told me she would rather I got pregnant (at 12) than started smoking. Cancer is genetics. COPD is smoking (and asbestos, occasionally).

Sorry Dan wishing you all well.

Smoking like so many bad habits louds the evidence against you in the genetic lottery.

/..the nicotine makes my brain sparkly and intelligent.

You mean you can't think straight without it.
That's not a good thing.

Since the smoking ban, the smell of smoke has become somewhat foreign to me as very few of my friends smoke. When I smell it now, I just thing "ugggghhhh". I'm also glad that my clothes don't stink after a night in the pub.