The Show What You Wrote - series 2 Page 8

Geography re-write request today! I had a good feeling about this sketch, so it's nice to know I'm not totally out of tune with the show.

Nice going! Do you think rewrite requests will be grouped by show? That is, could we get further rewrite requests having already had one for Geography?

That's what they did last series, sent them out by episode about a week apart. And good to see hope is not lost for Geography yet if the rewrites for them are still going out!

Anyone been sent anything about rewriting for episodes other than geography yet?

Not yet. I have a feeling they started on Geography as that was the one that needed most work.

Everything I wrote for that episode was terrible.

How did everyone get on with Geography rewrites? The feedback I got was really useful and with one sketch I followed the notes and entirely rewrote the thing, but for another I deviated slightly.

I was told to alter the way it played out, but instead I decided to clarify and clean up the dynamic instead as I think it may have been misinterpreted, and now I'm hoping the editors don't think I'm an arrogant arse for seemingly ignoring part of their critique. How do the rest of you feel about working through the notes? Do you adhere to the lot or pick out what you think works for you?

Also the best editing technique ever is playing football manager in between edits, its like taking a magnet to my brain's hard drive and seeing it fresh again.

My feedback was simply that the ending needed trimming, so I just pared it down the basics. I could have done something similar with the first half of the sketch, but as they didn't mention it I thought best to leave it alone.

They wanted mine shorter, I made it shorter by cutting about half of it then adding a couple of lines. One of the notes was to get it down to under a page, but it was already under a page, so that was confusing. It's underer a page now though, and I like it better now. Ends stronger.

I just needed to make the premise clear a little sooner. I managed to sneak in an extra joke in the process. I agreed with the reasons for the rewrite though. I thought it was probably the weakest one I submitted so I may be way off on what's considered funny. Oh well, I'm glad I got this far.

I wonder roughly, how many rewrite requests they send out for each.

I didn't get chance to do one for geography. Good luck to those that did though.

Seems a bit quiet re rewrites for the other episodes, maybe they're recovering from chocolate hangovers this week.

Has anybody heard anything about other categories?

Quote: The Carr @ 29th April 2014, 9:57 AM BST

Has anybody heard anything about other categories?

I've not had anything back on Geography or any other category, but I wouldn't take that as a sign no one else has (I've started obsesseively checking my inbox and junk folder as I never hear anything on any submissions I make! :| ).

I'm working on the assumption that no rewrite requests means that the sketches I did submit won't be picked up at all (though one of my Geo sketches had been written and rewritten down to a very tight single page).

Quote: tiggerdwc @ 29th April 2014, 11:46 AM BST

I'm working on the assumption that no rewrite requests means that the sketches I did submit won't be picked up at all (though one of my Geo sketches had been written and rewritten down to a very tight single page).

Working?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th April 2014, 9:02 AM BST

Working?

For "I'm working on the assumption" read "assuming". :)